Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real-time dart info on your phone for next to nothing

Options
  • 24-04-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I made a free application for mobile phones which gives realtime dart info. Only price u pay is the network data charge (which is negligible).

I created a thread on the mobile forums about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055080312

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Hate to spoil the party but the information source this uses is notoriously flaky, so don't be surprised if you get missing trains eg anything to Gorey or heaps of invisable trains to Lansdowne Rd. At times of disruption its likely to be way off. Regtel know all about the issues with DARTxt which uses the same data source

Application is probably fine (apart from null when a train is for Longford), the source of the data within Irish Rail is certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

All criticism is welcome :)

Obviously the data can only be as accurate as the real time information that Dart publicly publish (here)
    The times from this app should be the times displayed at the actual platform. Now if those times are not accurate then there's not much I can do.

I guess this app is for anyone who uses DARTxt but wants to save themselves 30 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The platform displays are fairly solid, they normally are very accurate. They are quite separate from the web and text data which can be wildy inaccurate.
    Don't get your hopes up you need to bare that in mind. At best the information is actually the timetable not real time.

The app is great, have it running in the Sun mobile java toolkit its neat

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

The dart page I linked to above has two columns in the result page: "Scheduled" and "ETA". In many cases the times in these columns vary. Is the "Scheduled" column not the timetable info and the "ETA" column not real-time?
    My app uses "ETA" information.

PS. Longford is fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

very cool - DARTXT isn't 100% reliable but is better than nowt. So if this is using the same data, is cheaper to use, and quicker to return the information, then everyone's a winner!

edit: I've just remembered why I don't use the AFT application. Pay monthly Vodafone customers pay a minimum charge of 20c for each data connection (bizarrely for ready-to-go customer the minimum is only 2c). So you may not be saving that much money using this app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement