Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dorsh - Real-time dart info on ur mobile phone for practically nothing

Options
  • 18-04-2007 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Here is an application I made a few days ago to give you real-time dart times on your mobile phone. You just enter in the station you are leaving from, the direction you are travelling in, and press ok. This contacts the dart website and gives back all the trains leaving within the next hour.
    This is more acurate than timetables because (obviously) it is the real-time info.

Best of all, the application is free. Its free now and it always will be free (I just wrote it for fun).
    The only price that you will pay is the data charge. I am on o2 and it costs a fraction of a cent for each query. On meteor and vodafone it will cost the minimum data charge (1c and 2c respectively I think).
    Dart charge 30c per query for this through their text service, so you could save a bit if you use it regularly.

Let me know how it performs for you. I don't actually use the dart, so I don't get to use the app much.

The application is available here: http://www.dallan.co.uk/dorsh/Dorsh.jar and here is the jad file if you need it: http://www.dallan.co.uk/dorsh/Dorsh.jad

The source code is available (for free) for anyone who wants it. Just send me a pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

All sounds great in theory - will have to download and try that out one of the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Its great in practice too!
    I meant to say, it also saves your last two departure points for easy access the next time you use the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I had to go and try it!Simple, effective.

FYI, there's no darts from Landsdowne Road Northbound right now!

Now, go make one for Dublin Bus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I just got the latest version, working good for me. It let's me set my home station, so no scrolling through to get to the station I use most frequent.

Features I'd like to see...

Ability to search through stations by just typing the first letter of the station.
    Ability to save the response to a scratchpad so that you can keep the info temporarily

Good work Dal

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

ciaranfo wrote:
    I had to go and try it!Simple, effective.

FYI, there's no darts from Landsdowne Road Northbound right now!

Dublin Bus one should be easy enough ..... just right a script that says "Next bus in 10 minutes... if its not full..if full wait 30 mins, 45 if its raining. "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This is kinda off topic but related at the same time. Tried your program and works like a charm, Thanks very much. That's the part that puzzles me though... it looks v similar to AFT, which will not work for me at all. Problem sending message all the time. If this program is working, should AFT theoretically work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

jmccrohan wrote:
    This is kinda off topic but related at the same time. Tried your program and works like a charm, Thanks very much. That's the part that puzzles me though... it looks v similar to AFT, which will not work for me at all. Problem sending message all the time. If this program is working, should AFT theoretically work?

Great! works a treat here on my nokia 6070. Now I'm just waiting for a Dublin Bus version! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

flodis79 wrote:
    Great! works a treat here on my nokia 6070. Now I'm just waiting for a Dublin Bus version! :)

Which? AFT or Dorsh?

jmccrohan wrote:
    If this program is working, should AFT theoretically work?
    Its definitely similar to AFT, except for one small difference. This uses a http get, AFT uses a HTTP post, but I wouldn't expect that to make a difference overall.
    What kind of phone do you have?
    quintron wrote:
    Dublin Bus one should be easy enough ..... just right a script that says "Next bus in 10 minutes... if its not full..if full wait 30 mins, 45 if its raining
    I could adapt this for dublin bus, but I am not sure how useful it would be, the bus never turns up at the time on the timetable.
    The point about Dorsh is that its realtime, so these are the times that are up on the electronic boards on the platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

jmccrohan wrote:
    Which? AFT or Dorsh?
    Dorsh works fine! AFT too! Do you have problems with any of these apps on a Nokia 6070?

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Its definitely similar to AFT, except for one small difference. This uses a http get, AFT uses a HTTP post, but I wouldn't expect that to make a difference overall.
    What kind of phone do you have?

Nokia 6233. Just was tinkering around and found out that the midp 1.0 version of AFT is working for me whereas i keep on getting message failed on the midp2.0 version. Is there a different method of sending between these?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this will be dead handy if it works like it says on the box.

does it work for trains that go further ie. to the likes of wicklow/balbriggin or is it only dart trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dal wrote:

It definitely would make a difference to a poorly configured proxy server between client & server (especially a deliberately poorly configured one!)

jmccrohan wrote:
    Nokia 6233. Just was tinkering around and found out that the midp 1.0 version of AFT is working for me whereas i keep on getting message failed on the midp2.0 version. Is there a different method of sending between these?

I *think* there might be, I will look into this for you.
    Cremo wrote:
    this will be dead handy if it works like it says on the box.
    It does! It does!
    Cremo wrote:
    does it work for trains that go further ie. to the likes of wicklow/balbriggin or is it only dart trains?
    It is only for DART trains, but I think Balbrigan has a dart station, no?
    Basically the application does everything that this page does.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aye just tried this now, obviously i only got one train as they are finishing up now but this is deadly. i can definitely see myself using this as it's annoying walking to the dart from college just to see that i have to wait another 20 minutes for a dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dal wrote:
    Here is an application I made a few days ago to give you real-time dart times on your mobile phone. You just enter in the station you are leaving from, the direction you are travelling in, and press ok. This contacts the dart website and gives back all the trains leaving within the next hour.
    This is more acurate than timetables because (obviously) it is the real-time info.

Best of all, the application is free. Its free now and it always will be free (I just wrote it for fun).
    The only price that you will pay is the data charge. I am on o2 and it costs a fraction of a cent for each query. On meteor and vodafone it will cost the minimum data charge (1c and 2c respectively I think).
    Dart charge 30c per query for this through their text service, so you could save a bit if you use it regularly.

Let me know how it performs for you. I don't actually use the dart, so I don't get to use the app much.

The application is available here: http://www.dallan.co.uk/dorsh/Dorsh.jar and here is the jad file if you need it: http://www.dallan.co.uk/dorsh/Dorsh.jad

The source code is available (for free) for anyone who wants it. Just send me a pm.

how do load it onto you phone?

how do load it onto you phone?
    You can use the browser on your phone to go to the .jar address given (or the .jad one if this doesn't work).
    OR,
    If you know how to hook your phone up to you computer (usb or bluetooth) you can transfer the jar directly.
    Cremo wrote:
    aye just tried this now, obviously i only got one train as they are finishing up now but this is deadly. i can definitely see myself using this as it's annoying walking to the dart from college just to see that i have to wait another 20 minutes for a dart.
    Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dal wrote:
    You can use the browser on your phone to go to the .jar address given (or the .jad one if this doesn't work).
    OR,
    If you know how to hook your phone up to you computer (usb or bluetooth) you can transfer the jar directly.

Brilliant!

ah ok I got and its in me app folder now cool try it tmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ciaranfo wrote:
    I have a free app for Palm, Pocket PC and Windows for bus schedules. It uses the static timetables (which are updated when I get to it). If you can estimate the number of minutes you are from the terminus you can save yourself some mental calculations.

Also on the site is TrainSched, a static timetable app for Irish Rail commuter lines. There isn't a full DART timetable because it would take weeks to type it all out.

I would like to port both apps to Java for mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Just downloaded and used it on a K800i, works like a charm! My hats off to you man, another very clever, simple and useful app!

Now if only the list of darts from greystones had more frequent results......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Must try this out. I can see this coming in very handy.

failsafe wrote:
    Just downloaded and used it on a K800i, works like a charm! My hats off to you man, another very clever, simple and useful app!

Now if only the list of darts from greystones had more frequent results......
    Great to hear that you like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 007

I've got it to work on my gf's K750 but I can't get it to work on my W810i. I've tried bluetoothing it from my laptop and then installing it, and downloading from the website through my WAP/GPRS. The application opens up alright, but it doesn't seem to be connecting to the interweb properly, any ideas?

007 wrote:
    I've got it to work on my gf's K750 but I can't get it to work on my W810i. I've tried bluetoothing it from my laptop and then installing it, and downloading from the website through my WAP/GPRS. The application opens up alright, but it doesn't seem to be connecting to the interweb properly, any ideas?
    It sounds like the application has installed properly but that your internet settings are not correct.
    Have you tried comparing the internet settings with the k750? There is also an option on sony ericssons where you select the connection settings to use for java applications.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

007 wrote:

Are you on 3pay? It won't work for me and I'm pretty sure that is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

This is a very good idea. Great work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 007

Got it working, thanks. It was the Java settings, had to pick the correct network from the list.

007 wrote:
    Got it working, thanks. It was the Java settings, had to pick the correct network from the list.
    Great news, happy dorshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

http://www.irishrail.ie/realtime/ <-- site adapted for mobile devices

Just incase the Dorsh java app ever gets broken by changes to irishrail.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

007 wrote: »

I got the K770i yesterday and this doesn't work. What Java settings did you pick? I've the 3 network - it did work fine on my 6280.

On my K770i I have 2 options in the java settings '3mms' and '3Browse'
    Both dont work.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Advertisement