Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Evolution and A God Irreconcilable?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

After all, if the body is comprised of physical matter, then if you accept that the logical opposite of the body is the 'soul', then the soul must be comprised of anti-matter.
    Indeed, as scofflaw said; if we had any anti-matter inside us we would be rather prone to causing hiroshima-like incidents... Anti-matter is literally what it says it is; the opposite of matter; in the same way that up is the opposite of down and not the opposite of black.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Indeed, as scofflaw said; if we had any anti-matter inside us we would be rather prone to causing hiroshima-like incidents
    I think CERN published a couple of ways in which containment is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I think CERN published a couple of ways in which containment is possible?

I can't profess to be up on the cutting edge of particle physics, but as is my understanding it's certainly theoretically possible, and I'd not be surprised if the chaps at CERN were close to doing it. But most sub atomic anti-matter particles have lives so small as to make containment irrelevant (I'm not so sure of the anti-matter versions of stable particles), and that the biggest thing achieved at cern was the existence of three or so anti-hydrogen particles which existed for a small number of seconds..

I mean, I'm sure containment is possible, but the conditions would be so extreme that we certainly don't encounter them in our daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Think that DublinWriter's mixed up the term anti-matter with the well known phenomenon of 'magic smoke' observed in computer rooms worldwide, the escape of which causes the spontaneous failure of computer and electronic devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I can't profess to be up on the cutting edge of particle physics, but as is my understanding it's certainly theoretically possible, and I'd not be surprised if the chaps at CERN were close to doing it. But most sub atomic anti-matter particles have lives so small as to make containment irrelevant (I'm not so sure of the anti-matter versions of stable particles), and that the biggest thing achieved at cern was the existence of three or so anti-hydrogen particles which existed for a small number of seconds..

I mean, I'm sure containment is possible, but the conditions would be so extreme that we certainly don't encounter them in our daily lives.

This is a pretty interesting read on the subject.

It was written in response to questions arising from Dan Brown's book 'Angels and Demons', but it contains some pretty interesting info regarding anti-matter, presented in a simple, non-technical format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

I haven't checked back in this thread in a while, some very very interesting stuff.

I'll have to think about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

In doing some very general research recently, I stubled across a group of American scientists that have discovered that the human heart contains about 40,000 neuron-like cells and that the heart itself performs some kind of cognitive activity. They also discovered that there's a lot more traffic in terms of communication going from heart to brain than brain to heart.

Interesting how people ever since the dawn of man have equated feelings and emotions to dwell, or have some close relation to the heart, an organ which on the surface appears to be little more than a pumping station.

that is very interesting. but it hardly gives any weight to the claim of existence of souls any more than the existence of thoughts does. it's still a physical process.

Advertisement