Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mate Caught Drunk Behind the Wheel...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

antodeco wrote:
    We all do things when we're drunk without actually thinking it through.

no we don't, so speak for yourself.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Apologies, everyone I know has done something silly when they were drunk. In fairness, allowing yourself to actually get drunk is not common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

endplate wrote:
    The op says he doesn't know how to drive plus he's 20 so understandably a touch of madness hit him a big mistake on his behalf. I agree with the garda arresting him as I've already said. But he's doesn't deserve a prison sentence unless he has previous motoring convictions

endplate wrote:
    blah blah.....he's 20....blah blah

at that age there's no defending such stupid behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Throw the book at him I say..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,368 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Victor wrote:
    Legally, parking is part of driving.
    but is being parked? (Not parkING)

If i was in the car with my dad and one of my little brothers, then my dad went into a garage to get a drink or something, leaving the key in the ignition and the radio on - as he is doing this, my little bro, we'll say he is 5, hops into the front seat and pretends to be steering the car.

Should my little brother be brought to court for driving without a licence? Technically, he is in charge of the car, as the person was in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say a 20-year-old would have a tough time convincing a judge that he doesn't know how to drive the vehicle (at least in some basic capacity). I accept that he very well may not be able to, but he would be a rarity.

As someone else said, this has been argued to death in the courts, and it's generally accepted that being in charge of a vehicle (i.e. being behind the wheel and with keys or with engine on) is the same as driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

Tauren wrote:
    If i was in the car with my dad and one of my little brothers, then my dad went into a garage to get a drink or something, leaving the key in the ignition and the radio on - as he is doing this, my little bro, we'll say he is 5, hops into the front seat and pretends to be steering the car.

Should my little brother be brought to court for driving without a licence? Technically, he is in charge of the car, as the person was in the OP.

Isn't that a bit of a bad example since if a parent let their 5 year old actually be in charge of a car surely they would be the ones facing the charge? :D

I hope everything goes all right for the friend in the orginal post though. As other people have said, better get a good lawyer because I should say there is a good argument for him intending to drive the car... but as others have said also, for a first time offense it should really only bring a fine and a ban. It might be a while yet until he can actually drive legally...

Isn't that a bit of a bad example since if a parent let their 5 year old actually be in charge of a car surely they would be the ones facing the charge? :D
    Could my dad be brought to court over it then? And its also kinda my point, i don't think that unless you are driving, or have been seen to be driving, that you should get done for driving offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tauren wrote:
    Could my dad be brought to court over it then? And its also kinda my point, i don't think that unless you are driving, or have been seen to be driving, that you should get done for driving offences.

I think sitting in the drivers seat and making vroom vroom noises when you're 5 years old is a little different then starting the car, and revving the engine while drunk

if your 5 year old bro was to start the car and began revving the engine, I'd imagine the owner of the vehicle would be liable for some sort of offense also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

seamus wrote:
    As someone else said, this has been argued to death in the courts, and it's generally accepted that being in charge of a vehicle (i.e. being behind the wheel and with keys or with engine on) is the same as driving it.
    Well they are two separate sections of the road traffic act:
    10 Prohibition on driving vehicle while under influence of intoxicant.
    11 Prohibition on being in charge of vehicle while under influence of intoxicant.
    It's debatable whether he'd get done for 10 but sitting in the car revving the engine definitely has him for section 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BostonB wrote:
    How did he get the keys?

I was thinking the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

49 is drink driving, 50 is drunk in charge

then you have the driving licence and insurance offences,

the owner of the car can also be done for allowing a person to drive knowing that he/she has no licence or insurance.

Not likley to happen in this case but has happened before in other cases

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A stupid thing to have done and whilst I have some degree of sympathy if he didn't/couldn't drive, the law is the law and he'll get done for this.

Too many people die because of drunk drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

drdre wrote:
    he might get banned as the government are really putting there foot doen on drink driving.I know he didnt drive the car but he did have the ignition on.Thats like saying a drunk was at the traffic light and got caught.he will still be banned.
    Anyway he deserves it as he shouldnt be drinking that much that he doesnt know whats going on around him.And you friend who owns the car was a idiot to give him the keys
    you say he deserves to be prosecuted because "he shouldnt be drinking that much that he doesnt know whats going on around him". are you saying that people who drink a lot should be prosecuted?
    galwaytt wrote:
    no we don't, so speak for yourself.
    so you think everything through carefully while drunk do you? that must be some weak alcohol you're drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

endplate wrote:
    The op says he doesn't know how to drive plus he's 20 so understandably a touch of madness hit him a big mistake on his behalf. I agree with the garda arresting him as I've already said. But he's doesn't deserve a prison sentence unless he has previous motoring convictions

It isn't a requirement of the Road Traffic Act to be able to drive a vehicle in order to be guilty of drunk driving. Your buddy was probably more of a risk to the public because he couldn't drive than if he had been able to drive and not the other way around as you appear to be suggesting. If he managed to hit off the gearstick and put the car into gear, even if the handbrake was on, the car could take off in any direction and he would probably be unable to stop it.

A stupid thing to have done and whilst I have some degree of sympathy if he didn't/couldn't drive, the law is the law and he'll get done for this.

Too many people die because of drunk drivers.

Why on earth have you sympathy for him because he says he can't drive? Can you remember the first time you drove a car??? Imagine that experience, the car conking out or else shooting forward in any direction and also being pissed drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Darragh29 wrote:
    Why on earth have you sympathy for him because he says he can't drive? Can you remember the first time you drove a car??? Imagine that experience, the car conking out or else shooting forward in any direction and also being pissed drunk!
    well he wasn't driving it, he was sitting in it. if the car conked out while stationary the consequences wouldn't be that dire

well he wasn't driving it, he was sitting in it. if the car conked out while stationary the consequences wouldn't be that dire

And what if it didn't conk out??? What if it jolted forward and put some pedestrian who just happened to be walking in front of the car through the nearest wall??? He admitted himself that his friend was sitting in the car and revving the engine, so the most likely outcome here if he accidentally put the car into gear would be that the car would have shot forward.

you say he deserves to be prosecuted because "he shouldnt be drinking that much that he doesnt know whats going on around him". are you saying that people who drink a lot should be prosecuted?
    Yes, absolutely. Once it is a prospect that their intoxication is likely to impinge on anyone else's safety, via driving/riding, hell, even walking, they should absolutely get at least a ticket.

so you think everything through carefully while drunk do you? that must be some weak alcohol you're drinking
    I'll take it as proven then: because.... I don't drink. There's no place in my life for it, because cars/bikes is what I do. They cannot co-exist.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

...says who? You? It's not your call, TG...... jolting forward could pin a pedestrian against a wall/fence/bollard/other vehicle. Best case scenario: that person bruised. Worst case (child), dead. So, as long as the Garda are keeping that mindset off the road, they get my full support.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

i'd love to see a car in neutral jolt forward with the handbrake on. would be a fairly odd sight.

Tauren wrote:
    i'd love to see a car in neutral jolt forward with the handbrake on. would be a fairly odd sight.

Yeah, 'cos its just so hard to see how one drunken muppet sitting in a car who doesn't even know how what a gearstick is for, could accidently hit off the gearstick and put the car into gear. I've often been in cars that can be driven off with the handbrake on, as the handbrake would need adjusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

galwaytt wrote:
    ...says who? You? It's not your call, TG...... jolting forward could pin a pedestrian against a wall/fence/bollard/other vehicle. Best case scenario: that person bruised. Worst case (child), dead. So, as long as the Garda are keeping that mindset off the road, they get my full support.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

If he could'nt drive then how did he know it was in neutral before he started the car????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I knew how to tell what gear a car was in when I was a child. It's not that hard to figure out even for someone who's never learnt to drive.

Stark wrote:
    I knew how to tell what gear a car was in when I was a child. It's not that hard to figure out even for someone who's never learnt to drive.

I wouldn't bother arguing the point any further, it couldn't be more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

sonners wrote:
    If he could'nt drive then how did he know it was in neutral before he started the car????

Who's to say he knew it was in neutral? If he doesn't know how to drive, he probably won't have known what the gearstick does.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Were you ignorant to what a gearstick does before you learnt to drive?

Stark wrote:
    Were you ignorant to what a gearstick does before you learnt to drive?

Whats your point? Do you think a drunken person who can't drive a car but is sitting in the drivers seat revving it up to such a degree that he brings the attention of a Garda down on himself is no risk to anyone??? Honestly, it never fails to amaze me how some people can post here trying to defend the indefensible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Darragh29 wrote:

It was more he couldn't drive so therefore couldn't have moved the car even if he had wanted to.

Your point is entirely valid however.

Advertisement