Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP syndicate game!

Options
  • 20-04-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

Please vote to sign up to the WSOP syndicate game. Rather than having everyone reply and create a huge flipping thread, I made it a poll. Because its a public poll, when you vote your name will show up. Therefore, we'll see who is interested on the top of this thread, in a nice and clean manner. So please don't reply with "Yes, I wanna play" but vote "YES" instead.

Vote "YES" only if you are seriously interested in playing this syndicate game!! This means paying 127 to 250 euro (plus 10 to 15 euro fee for professional dealers if you're playing) and getting a percentage in one or two players or maybe even play the WSOP yourself! Playing is optional, but obviously more fun and a chance to play a $10,000.00 buyin event yourself! The "NO" vote is provided if you already won a seat or simply would feel left out by not voting. ;)

HOW DOES IT WORK?
    All syndicate members will sign a form where you declare to agree to the syndicate's rules and fill out your contact details. We'll need those so we know where/how to wire you money if/when the seat winner(s) cashes out. We will then play a game with a very similar structure as the WSOP main event (but not two hour levels :rolleyes:) to determine who will be representing the syndicate. One or two players, named "seat winner(s)", will get 10,000 euro to play. This consists of approximately 8,000 euro buyin and the rest for flight + hotel expenses. The other players will get a percentage of the seat winner(s) winnings.

WHEN AND WHERE?
    We will democratically pick a Sunday afternoon to play. The location will be somewhere in or around Dublin. Hopefully a similar location as the last syndicate game we played for the Irish Open. First we need to determine whether its viable. If we get 50+ "YES" votes we'll discuss the next step.

ALL ABOUT NUMBERS
    To make this work, we'll need at least 40 people. With more people both the entrance fee and the percentage returned will be smaller. But if we get 80+ players there will be two seats going instead of one, thus doubling everyone's chances of a potential return. Numbers right here:
    syndicate size   € e.a.   losers win
    40 players       250      1 x 1.79%
    50 players       200      1 x 1.43%
    60 players       167      1 x 1.19%
    70 players       143      1 x 1.01%
    80 players       250      2 x 0.89%
    90 players       222      2 x 0.79%
    100 players      200      2 x 0.71%

jacQues
    ("YES" hamster)

Small print:
    1. Seat winner(s) get 30% from their own winnings, 70% goes towards all other syndicate players (including the other seat winner, if there are two seats).
    2. Seat winner(s) may enter into a sponsorship deal for wearing logos etc, at the same division scheme of 30% self / 70% syndicate.
    3. Any and all sponsorship deals made after the main event are not part of the syndicate deal and therefore 100% for the seat winner.

Do you want to join the WSOP syndicate? 20 votes

YES
    0%
    NO
    100%
    DeVoreHyzepherDoc Farrellslegs5pin5DukeboxArmaniJeanssjacQuesEl StuntmanmyflipflopsmodmuffinJesus Weptkakak1imalegendshaykJP PokerWreckThe Clamperhf4z6sqo7vjngiMisterMonkey 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

jacQues wrote:
    PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

Small print:
    1. Seat winner(s) get 30% from their own winnings, 70% goes towards all other syndicate players (including the other seat winner, if there are two seats).
    2. Seat winner(s) may enter into a sponsorship deal for wearing logos etc, at the same division scheme of 30% self / 70% syndicate.
    3. Any and all sponsorship deals made after the main event are not part of the syndicate deal and therefore 100% for the seat winner.

Was this the same small print you had before? I only ask because the sponsorship doo daa would rule me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jacQues

NO
    Fatboydim wrote:
    Was this the same small print you had before? I only ask because the sponsorship doo daa would rule me out.
    There was no small print before AFAIK. Or maybe there was but I didn't notice. Solksjaer?!?

It just seemed right, since there are crazy deals out there. If you make it to the top 27 and don't wear a logo already, you can get up to 100,000 doing a deal. This seems to me like indirect tournament winnings. In other words - it wouldn't be fair to go into a 30%/70% deal and then get 100% on the side. Its not in the syndicate spirit.

If I'm wrong, by all means correct me.

jacQues

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jacQues wrote:
    There was no small print before AFAIK. Or maybe there was but I didn't notice. Solksjaer?!?

It just seemed right, since there are crazy deals out there. If you make it to the top 27 and don't wear a logo already, you can get up to 100,000 doing a deal. This seems to me like indirect tournament winnings. In other words - it wouldn't be fair to go into a 30%/70% deal and then get 100% on the side. Its not in the syndicate spirit.

If I'm wrong, by all means correct me.

jacQues
    If I was going to play this (Which I probably won't) this unlikely eventuality would not make me happy.

NO
    5starpool wrote:
    If I was going to play this (Which I probably won't) this unlikely eventuality would not make me happy.
    If you get 500 yo-yos for wearing some logo nobody really cares. But anything big would be like stealing from the syndicate. At least thats how I see this matter. Seat winners play on behalf of the syndicate, so all winnings directly related to the main event should be divided 30/70. If I won the seat and played I wouldn't even consider keeping 100% for such deal, as I don't steal. Any deals done after the main event are separate from the syndicate.

Maybe I'm wrong assuming that such deals are part of winnings. If the general consensus is otherwise, then scrap that rule alltogether. I merely added it because it was common sense (to me at least) and tried to prevent angle-shooting.

jacQues

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jacQues wrote:
    If you get 500 yo-yos for wearing some logo nobody really cares. But anything big would be like stealing from the syndicate. At least thats how I see this matter. Seat winners play on behalf of the syndicate, so all winnings directly related to the main event should be divided 30/70. If I won the seat and played I wouldn't even consider keeping 100% for such deal, as I don't steal. Any deals done after the main event are separate from the syndicate.

Maybe I'm wrong assuming that such deals are part of winnings. If the general consensus is otherwise, then scrap that rule alltogether. I merely added it because it was common sense (to me at least) and tried to prevent angle-shooting.

jacQues
    I don't think I have a horse high enough to answer that from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

jacQues wrote:

jacQues

Thats a bit harsh Jacques! I dont think any deal/sponsorship made by a player should have anything to do with the syndicate. Lets say for arguments sake that someone like Ollieboy or Daithio decide to play the syndicate game and took it down. Both players have had a huge result in europe, and should they attract any interest from potential sponsors, all earnings from this should be kept for themselves and not split 30/70. I dont think its right for a syndicate member to pay about €200 and expect to cash in on sponsorship too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

NO
    Flushdraw wrote:
    Lets say for arguments sake that someone like Ollieboy or Daithio decide to play the syndicate game and took it down. Both players have had a huge result in europe, and should they attract any interest from potential sponsors, all earnings from this should be kept for themselves and not split 30/70. I dont think its right for a syndicate member to pay about €200 and expect to cash in on sponsorship too.

as an el random puntero who would like to play this, i think the above is a pretty fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

NO
    actually if Ollieboy plays in the SYNDICATE game then he must accept their rules.
    i think Jacques has done a great job here and I'd like to play if its not too much.

Jacques game, Jacques rules!
    just who the hell does Ollieboy think he is anyway. Bloody Pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,179 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would be of the opinion that any extra earnings from sponsorship deals and the like have nothing to do with the syndicate. Such extra earnings are not directly related to the tournament; the tournament buy - in, or the tournament prizepool. And any player who gets offered such deals would have done the work (i.e. 7 days of gruelling tourney poker) themselves to be in such a position.

I believe that this condition should be removed. When it is - I will vote yes. Well done for taking the initative to organise it by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I would be of the opinion that any extra earnings from sponsorship deals and the like have nothing to do with the syndicate. Such extra earnings are not directly related to the tournament; the tournament buy - in, or the tournament prizepool. And any player who gets offered such deals would have done the work (i.e. 7 days of gruelling tourney poker) themselves to be in such a position.

I believe that this condition should be removed. When it is - I will vote yes. Well done for taking the initative to organise it by the way.

ditto, plus it should be 50/50 %

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭pppspecial

can i have some off what ur smokin jacques. it seems to be some good stuff m8. yeah it is ur tourny so do what ever u like but 1 things for sure u wont make the numbers unless u change this very silly rule. and i mean it is silly. seriously its a great idea but its being ruined by this. its going to rule most off the decent tourny players here on boards. players u might have gotten in the first place. now aint that stoopid.
    no offence to all those who voted yes im sure ur all good players and some great players but this is just my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

I read it as in getting a logo/deal.. during and for the duration of the WSOP? While at a TV table or something? :confused:

jacQues.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

NO
    jacQues wrote:

jacQues

i think this rule makes perfect sense...if you are playing for a syndicate the all tournament related winnings including in tournament sponsorship deals should be in scope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

slegs wrote:
    i think this rule makes perfect sense...if you are playing for a syndicate the all tournament related winnings including in tournament sponsorship deals should be in scope

If for a arguements sake, you won the ticket and represented the syndicate and got $1000 for wearing a shirt with a logo on it. You think it makes perfectly sense for you to get $300 and then split the other $700 99 ways so they all get $7 each. You really believe that? Even if the sponsorship was $10k, you only get $70 each. I mean think about it ffs. Its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

jacQues wrote:

jacQues

Cant agree with you here Jacques. Play the tourney and let the winner go and represrent the syndiocate. If he cashes, fantastic both for him and the syndicate members.
    But if he's good enough (or cute enough) to organise a sponsorship deal for himself, then thats nobodys business but his own and really has nothing to do with the syndicate(imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

NO
    connie147 wrote:
    Cant agree with you here Jacques. Play the tourney and let the winner go and represrent the syndiocate. If he cashes, fantastic both for him and the syndicate members.
    But if he's good enough (or cute enough) to organise a sponsorship deal for himself, then thats nobodys business but his own and really has nothing to do with the syndicate(imho).

actually it seems that I completely misread it as Connie's view is mine to a tee.

yep, i managed to entirely misunderstand, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

NO
    agree with the Lloyd, flushdraw, Connie, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

NO
    Its Amazing That No Matter What Someone Orgainses, There Will Always Be Those Who Look For Faults

Generally, Its The People That Organise Zilch Themselves That Have The Loudest Voice In This Regard

To Me This Looks Like A Guy Trying To Set Something Up For Players To Get A Chance To Play In Vegas Or To At Least Get A Slice Of The Man In Form

Sponsorship For The Syndicate Is How It Was Posted And If You Dont Want To Participate, Then Dont Play Or Invest, Very Simple

If You Want To Organise An Event Using Your Own Rules, Then Post It Here And Do The Work Yourself Instead Of Constantly Criticising The Efforts Of Others

There Is A Poll, Vote No If You Dont Want To Participate Or Disagree With The Post

A Comprimise Could Be That The Winner Wears A Syndicate Logo, Thereby Negating The Likelyhood Of Being Approached By Another Sponsor
    Print All The Names Of The Syndicate On The Shirt, Now There Would Be No Room For Sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 36,179 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Its Amazing That No Matter What Someone Orgainses, There Will Always Be Those Who Look For Faults

Generally, Its The People That Organise Zilch Themselves That Have The Loudest Voice In This Regard

To Me This Looks Like A Guy Trying To Set Something Up For Players To Get A Chance To Play In Vegas Or To At Least Get A Slice Of The Man In Form

Sponsorship For The Syndicate Is How It Was Posted And If You Dont Want To Participate, Then Dont Play Or Invest, Very Simple

If You Want To Organise An Event Using Your Own Rules, Then Post It Here And Do The Work Yourself Instead Of Constantly Criticising The Efforts Of Others

There Is A Poll, Vote No If You Dont Want To Participate Or Disagree With The Post

A Comprimise Could Be That The Winner Wears A Syndicate Logo, Thereby Negating The Likelyhood Of Being Approached By Another Sponsor
    Print All The Names Of The Syndicate On The Shirt, Now There Would Be No Room For Sponsors

Well it amazes me how unflexible some of the people who organise things are about their plans. If you post things on a public forum, expect people who frequent that public forum to give their opinion. And in this case, the voicing of opinions is justified as it is coming from people who would like a specific change before they participate. If Jacques insists on sticking with his original idea that is perfectly fine. I just won't be involved.

Make sure you don't fall of your horse sir - it could be quite sore if you did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Please refrain from posting on this forum if you are going to capitalise every word/letter. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

This is so horrible to read. Why did you do that?

Jacques, this is an excellent idea. Fair play for putting the time into it.
    That rule will have to go though. Too many people don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

NO
    For an advertiser the Unique Selling Point of the syndicate would increase the amount of money they would be willing be pay to get a player 'logo-ed up'.

Could you imagine what say, PaddyPower Marketing would do with the syndicate concept.

'50 strangers who became friends through paddypowerpoker.com (the bestest poker site in the universe etc) nominated young Gholimoli to play on their behalf in the WSOP. Now he is in the last 30 of the richest event in the world' etc etc These 50 people from all walks of life could have their lives changed thanks to PaddyPower' etc etc.

So because of this I think it would be fair that any direct sponsorship should be split along the same lines as prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

NO

Is this the most pointless post of the day?!

No one was complaining, we were fine tuning. It has already been acknowledged as a good idea, and good organisation on behalf of the OP.

:eek: :D :eek: :D

This would benefit nobody! lol, how is that a compromise? It's useless to all involved.

oh... some guy in vegas has my name on his shirt, along with 49 others. er?

'50 strangers who became friends through paddypowerpoker.com (the bestest poker site in the universe etc) nominated young Gholimoli to play on their behalf in the WSOP. Now he is in the last 30 of the richest event in the world' etc etc These 50 people from all walks of life could have their lives changed thanks to PaddyPower' etc etc.

So because of this I think it would be fair that any direct sponsorship should be split along the same lines as prize money.

no offense, but god that sounds like tripe, I wouldn't want to sell my soul like that!

THANKS TO PADDY POWER FOR CHANGING MY LIFE! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

I think that the syndicate have sent a player to the WSOP - therefore they deserve their share fo the prize money from the event.

However - the individual has got himself through the event himself and through canny, coy or cunning managed to get himself a sponsor. This would be done on their own bat with no input/effect from/on the syndicate and imo its only fair that they recieve nothing from that. likewise if during the event the player gets to the final table and Pokerstars decide to pay him into every EPT/WPT in the next season the sydicate shouldnt be getting 70% from everythin there either.

I will nto be participating either way i just thought id add my 2c to an ever increasing pile of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I think that the syndicate have sent a player to the WSOP - therefore they deserve their share fo the prize money from the event.

However - the individual has got himself through the event himself and through canny, coy or cunning managed to get himself a sponsor. This would be done on their own bat with no input/effect from/on the syndicate and imo its only fair that they recieve nothing from that. likewise if during the event the player gets to the final table and Pokerstars decide to pay him into every EPT/WPT in the next season the sydicate shouldnt be getting 70% from everythin there either.

I will nto be participating either way i just thought id add my 2c to an ever increasing pile of money.

I agree with this completely, if you get sponsorship then it should 100% yours imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

NO
    cooker3 wrote:
    I agree with this completely, if you get sponsorship then it should 100% yours imo

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Sorry not to have got back to this sooner. I asked because I have specific concerns. [Don't have to go into here]

But I feel it's also worth pointing some things out here. A sponsored player would sign a contract between himself and the sponsor. That is a legally binding contract. The contract will ask for certain commitments from that player. Be in Helsinki on Friday. Photo shoot in LA on Monday. Sign autographs here. Play this event. Do an interview here... Go there... Blah! Blah! Blah! That player could not be expected to sign a part of his life away for only 30% of the deal it's just not on. Even my agent only charges 10%. -

Now if that's the rules and people are willing to play under those rules - fair enough they know what they are getting into. If the rule stays I couldn't take part.

But I also think you should consider that it might hinder any player from actually getting a deal. I'm not sure any sponsor will want to sign a contract with a syndicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

surely he means the group gets 70% if the player gets paid to wear a logo or something. not that the group gets 70% of the type of deal raymer or Joe Hachem have with stars.

NO
    Fatboydim wrote:
    A sponsored player would sign a contract between himself and the sponsor. That is a legally binding contract. The contract will ask for certain commitments from that player. Be in Helsinki on Friday. Photo shoot in LA on Monday. Sign autographs here. Play this event. Do an interview here... Go there... Blah! Blah! Blah! That player could not be expected to sign a part of his life away for only 30% of the deal it's just not on. Even my agent only charges 10%. -

Now if that's the rules and people are willing to play under those rules - fair enough they know what they are getting into. If the rule stays I couldn't take part.

But I also think you should consider that it might hinder any player from actually getting a deal. I'm not sure any sponsor will want to sign a contract with a syndicate.
    I had a few sponsorship deals in my life when playing tournaments, rather nice ones too. But there was never a cash payout involved. Well, except for making the final WSOP table (didn't happen :(). The other deals I had did not involve anything like you say, but then again they were for games other than poker. Games where there are no professionals simply because there is no prizemoney involved. "I am a world champion!" "Great, what did you win." "Well, a trophy and some games..."

My logical reasoning was that you get the sponsorship deal because you are playing. And you are playing because of the syndicate. The syndicate clearly states that all tournament winnings will be split 30/70. Sponsorship for wearing a logo are tournament winnings as no special actions are required.

What you are saying is new to me, surprises me and would indeed change matters. What I am wondering is whether those special actions you need to do are because of wearing a logo or because of your results. What I mean is this: if you sign such contract before the tournament is finished then this rule needs to be scrapped. Simply because you are correct. Extra work is not part of the syndicate. Only work for/during the main event itself.

Note that if you sign such contract after the tournament (because of your results), then this doesn't apply to the syndicate. See rule 3 in the original post.

jacQues
    (ruling hamster)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

surely he means the group gets 70% if the player gets paid to wear a logo or something. not that the group gets 70% of the type of deal raymer or Joe Hachem have with stars.

I assume he does mean that and if someone wears a logo during the event then any money made from that should be kept by whoever is playing imo.
    In my mind anyway the syndicated share should be for prize money only.

Advertisement