Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service ads

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Man, that's haunting stuff! As I was watching it, I felt it was a little long-winded but I realise the purpose of that now. The slower the build-up, the more it's likely to stay with you. Thought the symbolism of the plight of the Apache Indians was really effective.
    God it's gloomy. It has that British 70s/early 80s grainy aesthetic - even the sky is constantly grey!

The poisoning bit - holy crap! :eek:

I know I posted this on a recent AH thread, but for those who didn't see it, check this out (and have a look at the related ones on the right-hand side - there's a ton of them). Possibly the most terrifying public information ads of all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXx5Y2Fr2bk

And Dark and Lonely Water...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6IVUvVsAs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

OMG... I was born in 1964 an dthese havbe been loicked away in my memory for years... they are bringing it back. Look for dave prowse as the green cross man.

Dark and lonely water STILL frightens me. Bbut i remember laughing at teh lifeguard one

oh and this is dave, dave never learned to swim and consequently never got laid. I can swim a mile non-stop girls lol

and charlie and the cat tat got th fish, i always wondered why they didnt do one about teh dangers of eating too quickjly (cue the cat in a coffin)
    Damn your eyes dudess this is taking me back alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

On the topic of the pylon safety films, check out the song 'Nuclear Substation'... by these guys.

Even better than one of the original ads!

stovelid, that's absolutely class! Also, I kept meaning to thank you for posting the Donald Pleasance ad earlier. It's actually no longer accessible so it's posted again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Oh the memories! One I dont think that has been mentioned here yet is with this tough looking dude in a black leather jack going on about how he and his friends used to go out on every Saturday night with a flaggin of cider and get locked. But now he's all fine cos he doesnt do it any more.

And the other traffic one about how this young driver will knock down a kid running across the road because he didnt see her as there was a car blocking his view....ah but no worries, this older fella who has more driving experience, in the same scenario is able to see the kid's legs under the same blocking car and doesnt hit her.

Dudess wrote:
    stovelid, that's absolutely class! Also, I kept meaning to thank you for posting the Donald Pleasance ad earlier. It's actually no longer accessible so it's posted again.

Ta Dudess. Watched it again. The gear on the kids is worthy of a separate ATR thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

trout wrote:
    i have a dim memory of a public service-y ad which featured a woman holding a sponge, and every time she squeezed the sponge you would hear a sick baby cough ... longer and longer squeezes for longer and more rattly coughs as the camera zoomed in ... i think the sponge got darker and more diseased looking each time ... i guess it was to make you immunise your kids against whooping cough

that ad gave me the creeps ... would have been the mid 70's ... no-one else seems to remember it though, so I'm starting to doubt my sanity.

I think the woman holding the sponge was the same lady in the nighty ad ... and she was a famous theatre actress ... Anna Maughan or similar ??
    I guess that ad came out because less babies were receiving the whooping cough vaccine, due to a scare about brain damage resulting from it. Yes, I remember that ad, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There was another drowning ad back in the 70s as well apart from the grandad one and the toddler. It was a kid who was playing around a barrel filled with water in a farmyard. The ad ended with ominous lookin' splashes on the wall and on the barrel.

Then there were the ones to do with road safety. There was one where a lad goes to school on his bike and the voiceover starts "So...you're off to school on your bike". By the end, he's broken every rule in the book, has been chased by his mates and falls off his bike and gets given out to by an irate motorist who tells him that he'll get killed if he keeps cycling like that.

Also, there was Micheálangelo(sic) the guy who painted the yellow junction boxes on the roads. I can't remember this ad too clearly but I assume Irish drivers were as rubbish then at dealing with those yellow boxes as they are now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

stovelid wrote:
    Dudess, I think I found the Donald Pleasance ad on YouTube

That would have terrified me as a kid. :eek:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6NY5cX0d4_g
    Here it is,although its been tarted up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Firetrap wrote:
    There was another drowning ad back in the 70s as well apart from the grandad one and the toddler. It was a kid who was playing around a barrel filled with water in a farmyard. The ad ended with ominous lookin' splashes on the wall and on the barrel.

Then there were the ones to do with road safety. There was one where a lad goes to school on his bike and the voiceover starts "So...you're off to school on your bike". By the end, he's broken every rule in the book, has been chased by his mates and falls off his bike and gets given out to by an irate motorist who tells him that he'll get killed if he keeps cycling like that.

Also, there was Micheálangelo(sic) the guy who painted the yellow junction boxes on the roads. I can't remember this ad too clearly but I assume Irish drivers were as rubbish then at dealing with those yellow boxes as they are now.

Wasnt it Mike Murphy who did the "So you're off to school on your bike" ad?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

" john , did you put the cat out "

fire safety as from god knows when.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

"Timmmeeee"
    *smashed milkbottles*
    Dunno how anybody could get creamed by a milkfloat anyway.

Then there was the guy with the huge flairs who tried to get a frisbee out of an electric substation..there was a big flash and his flares exploded!

horgan_p wrote:
    " john , did you put the cat out "

fire safety as from god knows when.
    Early to mid eighties I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

FatherTed wrote:
    Wasnt it Mike Murphy who did the "So you're off to school on your bike" ad?

Yes I think so.

There were also two ads with the same actor in them. In one, he was a cyclist going on about how little consideration motorists gave to cyclists. In the other, he was a motorist going on about cyclists not obeying the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was born in '81 so I cant remember 'Dark and Lonely Water' but Ive just seen it for the first time a few minutes ago thanks to you guys posting it on here. MY GOD!!! Now Im gonna have nightmares!!!

Can anybody remember a freaky ad to do with Schweppes in or around the mid 80s?? It involved a man turning on a light in a living room and removing a bottle of Schweppes from a fridge. There was also an ad for Trocaire that gives me the creeps right up until today. It just showed a red candle in a dark room with the sound of wind blowing in the background. Oh, the kids have it easy now :p

Rockee wrote:
    There was also an ad for Trocaire that gives me the creeps right up until today. It just showed a red candle in a dark room with the sound of wind blowing in the background. Oh, the kids have it easy now :p

I vaguely remember this (?)

Did the ad have a candle burning in darkness, a voice-over and snippets of sounds like war, shouting and guns while the candle gutters and eventually burns out?

Or am I confusing it with something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

stovelid wrote:
    I vaguely remember this (?)

Did the ad have a candle burning in darkness, a voice-over and snippets of sounds like war, shouting and guns while the candle gutters and eventually burns out?

Or am I confusing it with something else?

I think I remember that one too! I think the ad you mention was the Trocaire ad for the year after. Its a shame theres not a huge amount of Irish ads from the 80s on Youtube.

Firetrap wrote:
    Yes I think so.

There were also two ads with the same actor in them. In one, he was a cyclist going on about how little consideration motorists gave to cyclists. In the other, he was a motorist going on about cyclists not obeying the rules of the road.
    I remember that. I thought he said he was a professional cyclist so I presumed it was Sean Kelly or Stephen Roche (for some reason I wouldn't have really known what they looked like - probably because all men with dark hair look the same to a small girl).

It was only on British television so hundreds of thousands of Irish kids were spared! It was recently included in Channel 4's 100 Scariest Moments (no doubt repeated in Halloween - only a few weeks away).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

trout wrote: »
    i have a dim memory of a public service-y ad which featured a woman holding a sponge, and every time she squeezed the sponge you would hear a sick baby cough ... longer and longer squeezes for longer and more rattly coughs as the camera zoomed in ... i think the sponge got darker and more diseased looking each time ... i guess it was to make you immunise your kids against whooping cough

that ad gave me the creeps ... would have been the mid 70's ... no-one else seems to remember it though, so I'm starting to doubt my sanity.

I think the woman holding the sponge was the same lady in the nighty ad ... and she was a famous theatre actress ... Anna Maughan or similar ??

Id completly forgotton that sponge ad till now.It was pretty creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Not sure if it is the same ad but there a white Hillman Hunter being driven by a man and some guy lets off a toy soldier from a elastic band, hitting the windscreen and causing a crash?[/QUOTE]

Thats right ,it was a sort of action man in a tweed suit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

G Luxel wrote: »
    There are a number of these ads I remembered from the eighties or maybe earlier:

There is the one about rabies and shows pictures of a dog jumping from a boat and a man in bed in agony. A similiar ad is a cartoon with a dog left out, running wild with other dogs and killing sheep. The end of the ad said 'running free, he could be a killer'.

There was another ad about sweets and what not to give to children, a big X sign appears over a bottle of lemonade.

A road safety ad featuring cars like a Fiat I28 approaching a bypass junction, probably somewhere in Dublin and the ad quoted something like Indicate Right, move out slowly......

A really scary ad featured a car crash, a body lying on a trolley covered with a sheet and at the end a black Mercedes hearse driving slowly on the road.
    Not sure if it is the same ad but there a white Hillman Hunter being driven by a man and some guy lets off a toy soldier from a elastic band, hitting the windscreen and causing a crash?[/QUOTE]

Apologies for bumping a nine year old thread.I'm glad someone else remembers that one other than me.It was a sort of Action Man type figure in civilian clothes and I remember it had a very 70's looking checked jacket of the exact same type that James Garner used to often wear in The Rockford Files (pictured below.)What actually happened in the ad was someone fired the doll figure through the windscreen of a car from the inside with a catapult to demonstrate the dangers of not wearing a seatbelt,I don't recall a car crashing,but I remember bit with the doll figure very clearly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp8uT0UWdiOnifk-KTvsRu6xmVRhfzyhu5L2EAwCNZMh1-R3h9jwn4D0US

Advertisement