Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swear words in Irish?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Does Irish have expletives as in English? Are there any 'rude words'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's a language of course there are.... I don't know many though:
    wanker/masterbater= féin truailleathóir
    dick/penis = dob
    boobs/breasts = cíocha

Thats the vocab I have come to use...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

pog mo hoin!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cac = shít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

Spend some time watching Ros na Rún and you'll pick up some of the less severe ones.

mar shampla 'bitseach'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

féin truaillitheoir means "self polluter". it's not quite 'wanker'

What does bitseach mean? bitch? How do you say whore? Culchies are forever describing each other as hooers in english so what's the Irish equivalent?

How do you tell someone to fúck off?

Are there expletives? Germans use scheiss and french used putain or "de merde". You know, what spongebob calls 'sentence enhancers'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

OTK wrote:
    Germans use scheiss

Not really a swearwork, they use itmore akin to how we use "damn" or "oh fiddlesticks";)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

OTK wrote:
    féin truaillitheoir means "self polluter". it's not quite 'wanker'

That may seem true, but it is a catholic language, and as such that sort of thing is frowned upon. I don't make stuff up, so check a dictionary before questioning my Irish you féintruaillitheoir amadach.

Hoin, or ass is spelt thóin

expletives only occur when people are insulted when they hear them.... unfortunatly with the Irish language nobody really understands it, especially in such depth, as was demonstrated in No Béarla, he said some disgracefull things in that song in Galway, but noone understood....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Cliste wrote:
    expletives only occur when people are insulted when they hear them.... unfortunatly with the Irish language nobody really understands it, especially in such depth, as was demonstrated in No Béarla, he said some disgracefull things in that song in Galway, but noone understood....

That was hilarious... "ar nós na madraí, ar nós na madraí!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

Chuala mé "Gabh suas ort fhéin" le haghaidh Go fook yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

OTK wrote:
    How do you tell someone to fúck off?

Feis Ort- Fúck Off

Striapach - Whore

Féach anseo http://w3.lincolnu.edu/~focal/scripts/mallacht.htm

Beidh craic agaibh sa suíomh seo

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bluesman07

caca tarbh= bull ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

moglaí = bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mickdel

ciach ort = damn you
    ag fein truaillaithe = w*nking
    tuilli = b*st*rd
    báltaí = p*ssy
    bod = d*ck
    téigh transa ort féin = go f*ck yourself
    feis ort = f*ck off
    cac = sh*t
    bitseach = b*tch
    striapach = wh*re
    cíoch = t*t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Diúl mo bhod - suck my d*ck
    Imigh leat! - piss off (away with you)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Cliste wrote: »
    That may seem true, but it is a catholic language, and as such that sort of thing is frowned upon. I don't make stuff up, so check a dictionary before questioning my Irish you féintruaillitheoir amadach.

Trust me, no regular speaker of the Irish language uses that phrase. It's like saying the word masturbator is a swear word.
    Cliste wrote: »

What balls. Irish is my first language and I couldn't understand half off what the idiot was saying. He had crap Irish himself. Massive hypocrite going around saying no one could speak it while he himself was butchering the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Nuggles wrote: »
    Trust me, no regular speaker of the Irish language uses that phrase. It's like saying the word masturbator is a swear word.

What balls. Irish is my first language and I couldn't understand half off what the idiot was saying. He had crap Irish himself. Massive hypocrite going around saying no one could speak it while he himself was butchering the language.
    Agree 100%, unfortunately there's a big mistake being made by the Irish public in general. Some people who get credit for "making Irish sexy" are nothing but self-publicists who hijack a language that they barely have, pass themselves off as "gaeilgeoirí" (does anyone else find this condescending, i hate i when people refer to me as a "Gaeilgeoir", it's almost like I'm suffering an untreatable condition), and then proceed to try to break into the English speaking media world.

See I only call the students that come to the Gaeltacht to learn Irish Gaeilgóirí. Think the name gaeilgóir is attached to them in Conamara. Don't mind being called one by other people, they more often than not see it as meaning an native speaker.

As for the people making Irish sexy, most of the girls on TG4 are native speakers, speak the language well. And are sexy. Nothing wrong with them being in the public eye and promoting the language while promoting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

hey what is the irish for curses as in swear words?
    Focail ghréasta? Something like that?

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Agree 100%, unfortunately there's a big mistake being made by the Irish public in general. Some people who get credit for "making Irish sexy" are nothing but self-publicists who hijack a language that they barely have, pass themselves off as "gaeilgeoirí" (does anyone else find this condescending, i hate i when people refer to me as a "Gaeilgeoir", it's almost like I'm suffering an untreatable condition), and then proceed to try to break into the English speaking media world.

Agree with you here. Aoibheann Ní Shúilleabháin is somebody who really benefits from Irish- she was paid to campaign for Seachtain na Gaeilge and made an appearance on the Tubridy show last year as part of it and she has been on one TG4 show as a guest but she really doesn't give anything back to Irish from what I can see and her Irish isn't even great..I know they are trying to make Irish into a sexy image etc. but to be honest the people who go to the effort of learning Irish want a bit more substance to the people who are the face of these campaigns.

The TG4 presenters are in a different league to Aoibheann and they are native speakers with beautiful Irish and they do their job on a daily basis. It is these women that should be chosen when it comes to high exposure campaigns. They are doing so much good for the language and any learners who watch TG4 can actually learn a lot by listening to them. Aoibheann contributes very very little.

She's not obliged to to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

See I only call the students that come to the Gaeltacht to learn Irish Gaeilgóirí. Think the name gaeilgóir is attached to them in Conamara. Don't mind being called one by other people, they more often than not see it as meaning an native speaker.

As for the people making Irish sexy, most of the girls on TG4 are native speakers, speak the language well. And are sexy. Nothing wrong with them being in the public eye and promoting the language while promoting themselves.
    Níl fadhb ar bith agam le cailíní TG4! Is fir den chuid is mó iad a chuireann as domsa. Ní luafaidh me ainm ar bith ach déarfainn go mbeidh a fhios gach éinne cé hiad

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

The better insults are always religious though 'Mallacht Dé ort' would be an example.

I like to add the dílis to it, as in Mallacht Dílis Dé ort féin agus do Mhama

I like to add the dílis to it, as in Mallacht Dílis Dé ort féin agus do Mhama
    Google translate = "Mallacht faithful Dé yourself and your Mhama" just out of curiousity what is the english equivilant.

le do thoil!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ná raibh tú beo ar iar-thrá.

Google translate = "Mallacht faithful Dé yourself and your Mhama" just out of curiousity what is the english equivilant.

le do thoil!

Well, I'd use it like **** you and your mother. Or curse you and your mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravitylovesme

Apologies for my spelling, but some one told me once
    "bás na bisinni ort" it's supposed to mean "may you die like a drowned kitten" :(

i like kittens:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

pog it wrote: »

The TG4 presenters are in a different league to Aoibheann and they are native speakers with beautiful Irish and they do their job on a daily basis. It is these women that should be chosen when it comes to high exposure campaigns. They are doing so much good for the language and any learners who watch TG4 can actually learn a lot by listening to them. Aoibheann contributes very very little.

Have to correct you there, Aoibheann's first language is Irish and comes from a totally Irish speakin home, her dad is a fairly well known Irish writer esp for younger children.

Aoibheann teaches primary school student teachers durin the summer as well as a whole plethora of gaeilge stuff

That doesn't match what her Irish sounds like. Her Irish on that one programme I heard her on was not natural sounding at all- it was very much learned school-Irish with very little colloquial blas so that leads me to make the educated guess that her parents are not native Irish speakers.

I don't want to speak ill of her standard of Irish but I don't get how she is held up to be a Gaeilgeoir role model.. I watch and listen to so much Irish and she isn't ever on anything. Just turns up at a photoshoot :rolleyes:

Of course that is marketing for ya and thank God I don't need that kind of advertisement to inspire me to learn Irish! As we know it's part of the making Irish sexy image that we have been reduced to here to encourage really young people to look favourably on it and for an overall positive perception of Irish. I get why she has been chosen to front these things but my point is that she should be doing more out of good will and genuine love for the language if she is accepting contracts that pay her to promote Irish.

Otherwise give the opportunity to TG4 presenters who are doing more than she is for Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I lived in the Gaeltacht many years ago and I found that the older people would use far more creative and insulting swear sentances.

I heard one guy say 'His roof will burn with the cattle'

Another was: 'sink to the devil' and, I think.. 'devil on his bed/grave/resting place' - can't quite remember.

Anyone else heard these phrases before?

There was also a lot of 'diabhal (devil)' and 'cailleach (witch)' used in sentances from what I remember.

I think that was the way people in Gaelic Ireland 'sweared'. It's far more colourful and personal.

Advertisement