Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bee hive - help ASAP

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lillyella wrote:
    Might be a foolish question, but does anyone know what materials the wasps use to build their nests?

Femmy, just to let you know, I would DIE if faced with that. As much as I love nature, I'm terrified of wasps.
    In the case of our common stinging wasp: Dry wood and bark mixed with the wasp's saliva makes paper with which they construct their nests.

http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/insects/wasps/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

MooseJam wrote:
    my breezeblock shed is a favourite haunt of wasps, currently there are 5 nests in there, usually they crawl in any space in the cement and then build their nest in the space in the breezeblock so you can't see them, this year however one has decided to build a nest on the shed ceiling in plain view, it's very interesting watching it's progress, im just hoping no one spots it and destroys it. I've never found the wasps to be agressive in any way, they go about their business and let you go about yours.
    I've had wasp nests in the attic and under the front porch, never had any problem with them either and was pretty chuffed that they chose to build there at all. The nest under the porch resulted in a few stray ones floating in the front door from time to time and the only (one) sting I ever got was when I was "assisting" a wasp to get out again.
    And I agree, the nests are wonderful creations. :)

Advertisement