Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on the Phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Gwynston wrote:
    Went out in town for a few beers the other week and got a hackney home. He must have been the worst cab driver in the city - doddery old guy looked like he was about to croak, couldn't see or hear very well, wandering across the road etc... :eek:

Anyway, while driving out towards Claregalway he got an SMS and said, "Sorry, do you mind? I have to take this." So he pulled over onto the shoulder to read the message. Then decided he needed to reply to it, but drove off anyway! So he was texting while driving down the road :rolleyes:

I was drunk, so tried to ignore it and just hung on for dear life until I was home. I didn't give him a tip!

If you got his plate number or whatever equivalent hackneys have, report him. I know if you're drunk you're not arsed telling him to pull up miles from home and then trying to get another cab etc. but better that then you end up in a wall or crashing into someone else because this old fart is texting someone while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rabies wrote:
    Don't have a car for the past few months, but I regulary did drive while on the phone.
    I have a bluetooth ear piece but would often forget to bring it with me. I have been flagged down by the cops before and told to take the phone down, but it I still do it. If I knew it would be a long conversation then I stop and pull over.

Leave the headset in the car, and put in on before setting off.

People who use a mobile while driving are twats. You do this, so.........

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

esel wrote:
    Leave the headset in the car, and put in on before setting off.

People who use a mobile while driving are twats. You do this, so.........
    In my last job I was driving different vehicles each day or changing during the day. Often forget the headset. Doesn't matter now, not in that job anymore or have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Hand held mobile phone use around Dublin is very alive and well. I hate the people who do it as they are just selfish and ignorant twats who do not give a sugar about the hazards of what they are doing - the hazard for other people that is !

The pulling in to take a call lark is just unbelievable, not least of all the ridiculous places selected for it including bends, double yellows, disabled parking spaces to name a few. However, as we all know under the Road Trafic Acts if you put on your hazard warning lights you are cloaked in invisibility and immune from prosecution........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,945 ✭✭✭✭Stark

UrbanFox wrote:
    However, as we all know under the Road Trafic Acts if you put on your hazard warning lights you are cloaked in invisibility and immune from prosecution........

Yes the "park anywhere lights" as I "affectionately" refer to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Sis in law got stopped she was talking on the mobile and apologised to the Garda for using the phone while driving. She got points for doing 120kph in a 100 zone afterwards she was even more embarressed when she realised she was done for speeding and not using the phone. It looks like the Garda could have doen her for both but just opted for the speeding fine only. She learned her lesson since by not answering the phone and is now using the cruise control

Advertisement