Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to start Transatlantic Flights in 3-4 Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

True. But I can't imagine you would get anything within 200 Euro of that with any other airline. A lot of people will happily save 200 Euro even if it means a frill-less, uncomfortable 6/7 hours on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

No, but not being delayed by 25 hours is worth paying €150+ for

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/flygspan.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

This should really be in the travel section where i posted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

As much as i despise Ryanair over the numerous nightmares ive had with this airline but it will be interesting to see if O Leary will keep his word on this.

To be honest if it meant flying to the USA with the same legroom you have on you're normal Ryanair planes id sooner pay the extra, still very sceptical over this have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

This is the main reason Ryanair launched the bid to Buy AerLingus. They wanted to buy entry into the transatlantic market. I think this would still be O'Leary's 1st choice, but if he has to he'll do it with the Ryanair (or maybe a re-branded version).
    He's a smart man.... I don't think there is any chance he'll attempt it with the current Ryanair level of comfort/service (this is hinted when he says he'll introduce a business class). Expect a service similar to EI's.... but pricing something like: (Don't shoot me down, i'm only guessing :) )
    Base Price: €10 to €200 (depending on timing, etc)
    Food: €10
    Bags: €10 each
    Headphones for film: €10
    Emergency Exit/Bulkhead seats €30
    Life-Jacket €20 :D
    etc, etc, etc,
    + Tax's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So these flights to the states will land in which canadian airport? Just kidding, fair lay to 'em. Hopefully Shannon will get a boost out of this. I too believe 150 notes is a bit much for an airline meal......just bring a sambo and spend the other 145 on a restaurant in your destination city!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whether we love it or hate, hes gonna have a very profitable service when hes goes transatlantic. Despite all the bad press ryanair get, they still get the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

It won't be Ryanair flying to the states, it will be a new airline that will be run by the execs at Ryanair although it will be a low cost airline.

No money will be invested in it from the Ryanair airline. They are looking at buying 50 new Airbus A350s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

PCros wrote:
    They are looking at buying 50 new Airbus A350s.

o'leary hadnt confirmed whether it would b e A350's or boeing 787's

• Advertisement

PCros wrote:
    It won't be Ryanair flying to the states, it will be a new airline that will be run by the execs at Ryanair although it will be a low cost airline.

No money will be invested in it from the Ryanair airline. They are looking at buying 50 new Airbus A350s.

Yep.... Just found the details here

faceman wrote:
    o'leary hadnt confirmed whether it would b e A350's or boeing 787's

Hard to tell which would be favourite!!!! From a operational point of view the 787's would be best (Pilot Training, maintenance, etc,), but I don't think Boeing would be take any s**te from O'Leary after pinning them to the wall post 9/11

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

testicle wrote:
    Or buy one.
    Like Aeroflot / Alitalia
    or maybe start one like GO

as a separate company they can walk away if there is a problem, planes would possibly be leased at the start so no capital cost

transatlantic with ryanair <cringe> bring a good book (or two) and lots of batteries for your personal entertainment system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

i look forward to it and say fair play o him other companies have a cosy cartel and this will shake them up.

hoping that their will be extra leg room thoughas i'm well over 6ft

as people have said bring a sagwich and a bottle of pop

dublin to new york for about 40 squid are people really complaining or are we been typically irish. never f*****g happy.:mad:

what do people want

it make me mad here is a fella (mol) who provides a cheap service and people still complain.
    i know the quality isn't BA standard but what do u expect when u pay a fiver for a flight from shannon to alicante
    :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yayamark wrote:
    hoping that their will be extra leg room thoughas i'm well over 6ft
    The original transatlantic jet flights by the Boeing 707 - the one in the film airport -could carry 169 people. The 737's that Ryanair use have the same fusalage section as the 707 but they are smaller planes, and they also take 169 passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I'm looking forward to my 9 hours of advertisments that you have to watch as my inflight movie... stewards with whips in case you nod off, or try to close your eyes...

No thanks - I'll fly BA the way I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember getting one of the newer Ryanair planes back from the UK before and none of us could sleep because of the constant advertisements being played at full volume over the intercom system. Although that was unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

yayamark wrote:
    it make me mad here is a fella (mol) who provides a cheap service and people still complain.
    i know the quality isn't BA standard but what do u expect when u pay a fiver for a flight from shannon to alicante
    :mad:

Assuming the service is cheap. Those prices advertised sound way too good to be true, and you know what they say about something that sounds too good to be true. There'll probably a huge number of baggage charges, fuel surcharges, taxes, administration fees, booking fees and the like to bring up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

daveirl wrote:

I don't like the man but this is true... And another side point - reducing world travel is not going to save the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I would be surprised if Ryanair with over 130 758s in their fleet and options for 140 more would suddenly switch over to Airbus meaning a lot of new training and engineering infrastructure...wouldnt really make sense not to go with the dreamliner or 757? Id be surprised also if they split the planes into classes, ryanair will make their money in in flight services such as food, online gambling, movies etc and probably charge more for "extra legroom" seats like Zoom do.

Also as regards air pollution I read before that air travel was resultant in less then 4% of carbon emmisions, thats a tiny amount compared to car, power and industry emmisions! Pollution levels per distance travelled per person makes air travel one of the most enviromentally favourable means of transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Archytas wrote:
    ... stewards with whips
    and will they be wearing tight leather outfits too? :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Franz Ferdinand

10 reasons why FR doing long-haul is patent BS.

10. He said he'd never touch long-haul because its 'not the Ryanair model'.

9. He says single fleet Ops is a key element of Ryanairs success.

8. The announcement is timed to suppress EI share price after Open Skies boost.

7. EU passengers won't accept 8 hours of FR abuse.

6. US passengers won't accept FR abuse, ever.

5. You can strand 50 pax in Santander and possibly get away with it, but you won't get away with stranding 300 in Chattanooga.

4. The A350 won't be delivered until 2013 - a tad late for his 'start date'.

3. The 787 will be delivered in late 2008 - then there are over 540 orders stretching through to 2012. Where does he get a slot - never mind 50 of them?

2. The crap about prices soon dropping? See above.

AND AT NUMBER.1.........

1. MOL making an announcement of something he's gonna do in 3 to 5 years?
    So out of character!

He has nothing to deliver here, just hot air, yet he rushes to make this announcement.
    Why now?
    Think it through.
    Its bull.

Boeing will NOT do MOL any favours on pricing this time round. He blew their goodwill when he crowed about how he had 'raped them' (his words) on his last big 737 order.

In addition to that, he's been pedalling those same B737's for the last year like a second hand car salesman, often under cutting Boeings own prices when selling on his new deliveries - it keeps the cash flow going and avoids the embarrassment of having a/c parked up with no where to go.
    And it sure pisses Boeing off.

He's laughing at you impressionable mugs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

10. He said he'd never touch long-haul because its 'not the Ryanair model'.

9. He says single fleet Ops is a key element of Ryanairs success.

As Ryanair itself wouldn't be operating the flights, those points are slightly irrelevant.

Whether or not this "sister" airline goes ahead is another thing..but yes, he could do it if he really wanted to.

As Ryanair itself wouldn't be operating the flights, those points are slightly irrelevant.
    Err...No. Y'see, it's the rabid personality of Mr.O'Leary which makes Ryanair such a nasty company. Since he'll be running this fantasy airline - it'll be just as nasty as Ryanair.
    Why would he be laughing at us.
    Because his spin is working - you believe in his fantasy airline, thus making him feel like a master manipulator of the media and public opinion - I'd say he's crackin' up. I would be.
    You're pretty upset by this aren't you. An EI employee by any chance?
    Thats a fairly nosey question, considering I know nothing about you! Go ahead and tell us who you are.
    What abuse?
    You've been living under a rock I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Franz you havnt a clue what your talking about did you copy and paste that from PPRUNE.org?

Firstly you obviously havn't read all of the posts, if you had you would have realised there is about 10% FR involvement in the venture.

EU passangers are already taking the "abuse" you speak of so what is going to be the difference, a few hours longer in the plane. They are paying for what they get, people must be stupid if they dont know how FR operate then get a shock when they sit down on the plane.

If he goes with the 787 he will get a priority slot considering hes one of Boeings most valuable customers buying 135 737-800's over the past few years and having another 147 on order!

The A350 will be available in 2010, Air Europa and Qatar have the first orders for then.

And those 737's he'll be "pedalling" are the newest types of the 737 around so he has alot of life left in those aircraft.

Have a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

daveirl wrote:

of course. money makes the world go round and everyone wants some of it - nothing new there. what makes Ryanair worse than the average airline is that they actively encourage unnecessary leisure travel (weekend breaks to other countries etc) at a very, very cheap price compared to most other airlines. so cheap in fact that taking the train etc (while better for the environment compared to flying - see article further below) is sometimes more expensive and of course takes longer, making travelling by air the choice for everyone today who is constantly in a hurry to go on a quiet relaxing break 1,000's of miles away.

if Ryanair and airlines won't increase their airfares, then Governments should increase their taxes on air travel to stop people travelling by air as much and start to take the train or other forms of transport which does less damage to the environment.
    Yeah won't be agreeing with anything like this until there is near conclusive proof that we are responsible for it..

Air Travel and Climate Change: Take the Train - "One transatlantic flight for a family of four creates more CO2 than that family generates domestically in an entire year.(source) Because of this many travellers are turning their backs on flying and going overland. While this is easier in Europe with shorter distances and better train networks, it is still an option- even driving 12,000 miles creates less CO2. Dan Kieran notes in the Guardian that he has not flown in 17 years, and extolls the virtues of taking the train."

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:
    He said he was leaving FR to do this, why don't you PAY ATTENTION!
    Personally I don't find them 'nasty' in the slightest.
    Well I do, so its your word against mine.
    Besides what do you care whether this fantasy airline is nasty or not. Since it's not real what difference does it make, and since you clearly won't want to fly it what difference does it make to you?
    Hmmmm.....gee, thats a real deep philosophical question. I'd think about it if I had the time to waste. Why are you discussing it? Maybe its the same kinda angle, eh? Could you run it by me again?
    I couldn't care less whether us discussing this makes him happy or not. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. As I pointed out if this doesn't go ahead it makes no difference to my life.........
    There you go on the philisophical tangent again. Yawn.

Ok, I'll give you a hint.

Its called NEWS, and this is a Transport forum, where people discuss NEWS about TRANSPORT.
    Geddit?
    I've no monetary or personal investment in the success of this venture hence why am I being taken for a fool. Scams are pretty much only worth doing if you gain money from them, aren't they?
    How do we KNOW that you don't gain? You could be a Ryanair employee!
    Are you?
    I'm just surprised that any random punter would get so worked up over something as small as an airline hypothetically launching another airline. If you were an Aer Lingus employee I'd understand why you'd be annoyed.
    Well then I'd be jumping to the same conclusion in thinking you sound just like a Ryanair employee trying to defend your obnoxious boss and his company. Am I right? I am - admit it!
    I've never got one iota of abuse from anyone on a Ryanair flight.
    Yes, you DO work for Ryanair!!
    None of my family or friends have either.
    Well MINE have - so it's my word agin yers again.
    Some people have had bad experiences with them, but I've flown BA and had a great flight but read stories of people who've had horrible ones. If you think you get into the cabin and are abused by Ryanair staff members for the duration of the flight I suggest you try flying with them.
    You're contradicting yourself. In one breath you say you've never had a bad experience with Ryanair (as if that MEANS anything) then in the next breath you admit OTHER people DO have complaints about Ryanair! Are you really THAT self centred?

I listened to the Consumer Council chief on radio two days ago. They were discussing Ryanair passengers who had been stranded at some foreign field, and another story about the 75 euro Ryanair screwed out of an invalid childs parents to carry him (the alternative being abandonment abroad).
    The guy from the Consumer Council made an interesting point. He said that he has dealt with complaints from about every airline - but Ryanair is the only company that NEVER admits fault. Never apologises. That the CUSTOMER is always wrong with Ryanair.

Like I said - cheap'n'nasty airline, run by an obnoxious little gurrier. How do you defend them screwing money from invalids, and stranding people abroad? You're a cold hard hearted monster. Just like your boss.
    Shame on you!

Advertisement