Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drove an auto today....

Options
  • 06-04-2007 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, drove an auto box today for the 1st time...and I'm a happy camper...it's a bit high mileage for my liking so I won't be biting on that particular hook...but when I do change it'll be an auto if I can at all help it.

Why is there a stigma attached to these and why aren't there more out there!!!
    I'd hope never to buy a manual again:D :D:D

btw: it was a 97 316.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Probably because they cost, new, roughly €2k more than a manual. I'd never buy a manual, the extra €2k is worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Older autos were a bit heavier on fuel but I'm not too sure about the newer models. I drive an auto at the moment and find the manual system quaint! I've heard manual heads bitching about autos that you don't have control- that's nonsense, there's plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Older autos were a bit heavier on fuel but I'm not too sure about the newer models. I drive an auto at the moment and find the manual system quaint! I've heard manual heads bitching about autos that you don't have control- that's nonsense, there's plenty.

Yeah...mentioned to a friend last week that I was considering going auto and he said "I like to be able to drop down the gear to overtake"

ANSWER WILL BE: I learned about an exciting new button under the accelerator called a kickdown button, and was I happy when I found that:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ive had a few auto rentals in the USA and like some of their benefits but ultimately prefer the manual because:

1) I love the "direct drive" feel of a manual.
    2) Cars with manual are usual if not always faster up to speed.
    3) I dont find changing gear a burden anyway. (Although clutch work in heavy traffic can be a pain).
    4) Love heal and toeing successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can make an auto change up and down when you like. You just have to get used to driving it.

When it's time to change my car I'll be doing everything in my power to get another auto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've been driving an auto for about a month now and love it. It's a 70's SL, only three speed, but smooth as you like. AND it's got a kickdown button which really does give you a kick.

Unless you commute over the Wicklow Gap or something, an auto is worth it just for the more relaxed driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Said it before and I'll say it again.. I LOVE my 02 Auto 1.9 TDI Passat :D

I do most of my driving on N/M-roads anyway and there's more than enough power (130 BHP) when ya need it. As for being heavy on juice, about €30 does her for the week with a daily 50 mile commute + extra running around, so compared to my old 1.3 petrol which was costing me about €45 a week towards the end, there's just no comparison!

Couldn't go to a manual at this stage (this is my 3rd auto). I really don't see why Irish people generally are against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

An auto works best with a larger engine. I like my auto but I also have a manual car that Ilike driving. I wouldn't put one over the other but both have their advantages.
    You definitely feel more involved driving a manual, but then again do you really always want to fell involved all the time?
    My auto a 525i has a "manual" sport option (- +, push forward to go up a gear, backwards to go down a gear) but I have only used it two or three times at most, it gets boring after a while. The full auto mode is too comfortable!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

in my auto there's a + and - either side of the gear selector forget about kickdown, slap that over twice and by jayziz does the car move, stuck to the seat.

Will never drive a manual again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ninty9er wrote:
    Yeah...mentioned to a friend last week that I was considering going auto and he said "I like to be able to drop down the gear to overtake"

ANSWER WILL BE: I learned about an exciting new button under the accelerator called a kickdown button, and was I happy when I found that:D :D

Better (more controllable) IMO to use the gear lever to move to a lower gear. Keep the kickdown for when you really need it.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

esel wrote:
    Better (more controllable) IMO to use the gear lever to move to a lower gear. Keep the kickdown for when you really need it.

I think I'd need a few weeks of getting used to no clutch before I'd get adventurous like that

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

I don't think it's a case of Irish peoople being against automatics. Consider this...
      If you are buying a 'typical' new car in Ireland, (by typical I mean a 1.4 hatchback or a 1.6/1.8 saloon), automatic transmission is probably not an option. For example, neither the current Focus or Golf have automatic transmission in their 1.4 models. You need to go up to the 1.6 in both cases. The 1.8 Mondeo doesn't either, you need to go up to the 2.0. Most people will plump for the smaller engine size on cost consideration, as they are well entitled to do. I picked these 3 cars as a typical example of what we see on our roads, and got my info from their official Irish websites. Few new autos being bought= few used autos to buy. Going into a car dealers and asking for a small/medium car with an auto box must severely limit your choices.
      The driving test; "If you pass the test in a vehicle using automatic transmission your full driving licence will restrict you to driving such vehicles."
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/faqs.html. If you can master the dreaded 'hill start' in a manual then the rest of your driving career should be a doddle in comparison. Oh how we laugh when an American movie contains the classic dialogue; "This is a stick shift", "Yea, so?", "I can't drive stick!"

I've never driven an automatic myself so I have no informed opinion as to how much easier they are to drive. I'm currently behind the wheel of a 1.4 Focus. If I did most of my driving in heavy trafffic, was buying a 2. something saloon, or was going through a clutch a year, then I'd consider an automatic. But until then I'll 'stick' with stick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Have driven extensively with automatics both here and in Australia and the US. I find automatics very easy on the foot, but tense stuff around corners.

An example would be the Toyota Camry 3.0 V6. I drove an auto in the US and it was terrible around bends as the rear end would always stick out (Oversteer) and it never felt solid on the simplest of bends.

The manual version I had in Australia (same model BTW) was considerably quicker and had far better control in corners. I questioned this, (of course) thinking that the aussies just got better spec, and tried the auto again, bloody terrible for control.

Those that enjoy driving hard on back roads pushing a car would probably not consider autos (especially in my job). Those who like pottering around the city, in traffic etc would love them.

I think automatic transmission is a great idea, but not for performance stuff, except in straight lines.

GTC, Garda Traffic Corps

Wouldn't necessarily agree with a generalisation like that GTC, I took my LWB S320 up the wicklow mountains, little tiny roads, sharp bends, up and down like a mad thing, all I had to do was lock her into D3, second setting on the suspension hardness and she was fine, brakes got a slight bit of fade after about 45 minutes of pushing her hard and not once did the ESP even blink, the only reason I did that was to see how a boat like that would handle itself and it came through with flying colours unfortunately my underpants didn't ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

True story

I too drove an auto today for the first time. Granted it's a 1L micra :eek: :rolleyes: :D , I don't think it would be much 'livelier' in a manual. very very confortable in traffic and even on open roads. Stick it in D and bob's your uncle.

I've heard about 'kickdown' before, I just thought there was the transmission that 'felt' you put the pedal to the metal and just changed down a few gears (this micra, when I do this , likes to send me in all I can describe as 1st gear :), because she's revving over 5500 RPM... ). Anyways, I didn't realize there is a button (under the pedal I would presume?) that actually does that... unless you are all joking ;)

Now I'm drooling after the DSG, get me some pover and such a box. :eek: :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The one thing about an auto is that in stop-start traffic most people tend to leave the car in Drive while stopped, with a foot on the brake. The torque converter won't have locked up, but the engine is still pushing (fluid) and the driver is resisting by holding the brake. This is a disaster on fuel economy.

As a result the auto does worst where people appreciate them the most.

Whereas cruising on an open road there is little to differentiate between and auto and a manual, both in terms of consumption and convenience.

JHMEG wrote:
    The one thing about an auto is that in stop-start traffic most people tend to leave the car in Drive while stopped, with a foot on the brake. The torque converter won't have locked up, but the engine is still pushing (fluid) and the driver is resisting by holding the brake. This is a disaster on fuel economy..

Yeah, i do that pretty much, unless I know I'll be waiting a while. Never been able to get a definative answer about proper use of the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigkev49-2

Glad to be the first on the thread to say it, driving an automatic significantly decreases your manliness, outside of the pale anyhoo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stekelly wrote:
    Yeah, i do that pretty much, unless I know I'll be waiting a while. Never been able to get a definative answer about proper use of the gears.
    When I used drive an auto, I used put it in neutral when stopped for more than a few seconds. But... there is no clutch, so "neutral" isn't really neutral (engine is still pushing fluid), so it's still not as good in fuel economy terms as a manual.

bigkev49-2 wrote:
    Glad to be the first on the thread to say it, driving an automatic significantly decreases your manliness, outside of the pale anyhoo!!

So does marrying someone who isnt a blood relative, whats your point.*

*joke, culchies are aaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllll right, except the poster above, it still applies to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

curiosity wrote:
    Few new autos being bought= few used autos to buy.

I've driven autos since '96 except for a period where a replacement wasneeded for 6 months after my Civic was stolen.

As I've only ever bought a used car, it has always intrigued me how the guy will tell me, deadpan, he can't give me much for my auto because there's not much demand, and that the auto I'm buying is dearer than the equivalent manual because autos are always dearer.

bigkev49-2 wrote:

Welcome to boards. Nice of you to start off by slagging people who drive particular types of cars. Obviously the auld tractor is a great way to prove you have something hanging between your legs, but it's ok, seemingly the size isn't important.

I have a suggestion. Why don't you sign up again under a different name and then come back and start again. Actually, scratch that ... why don't you just f*ck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DubTony wrote:
    why don't you just f*ck right off.

A bit harsh there, DubTony.

Let him be. He doesn't understand (the poor simple fool).

DubTony wrote:
    Welcome to boards. Nice of you to start off by slagging people who drive particular types of cars. Obviously the auld tractor is a great way to prove you have something hanging between your legs, but it's ok, seemingly the size isn't important.

I have a suggestion. Why don't you sign up again under a different name and then come back and start again. Actually, scratch that ... why don't you just f*ck right off.

Sorry to have so obviously offended u there bud but obviously you didn't pick up on the fact that my tongue was firmly in my cheek writing that comment.

Not new to boards at all, my other account (username: bigkev49 if you want to check up on me) has locked up solid, and no I haven't been banned, either permanently or temporarily, before you suggest it. Could you look into that for me unkel?? PM me please.

As this is a motoring forum I would presume that the people here would be interested in having the best driving experience. I accept that for some people the best driving experience is simply getting from A to B but for me and anyone else I know driving is also about being in control of the car. No matter what way you shape the argument driving an auto removes a large part of the control of the engine of the car. You may argue that it allows you to concentrate more on the road in front of you and steering and such but I prefer to be in total control of what gear I'm in at a particular time.

Once again I apologise if I offended but chill out a bit, I was just expressing an opinion. Less of the "f**k off" too please, doesn't do your argument any favours.

EDIT: asked unkel to fix my old account, this one doesn't seem to be starting too well!!

bigkev49-2 wrote:
    . No matter what way you shape the argument driving an auto removes a large part of the control of the engine of the car. You may argue that it allows you to concentrate more on the road in front of you and steering and such but I prefer to be in total control of what gear I'm in at a particular time.!

The only thing it removes is the stick to manually drag the car trhrough gears. .After a while of driving my car I can make it change gears when I want it to and be in the gear i want.

OK bigkev, fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Try using the :D;) :rolleyes: :):confused: :cool: things on the right. Sometimes my sarcometer isn't switched on. Apologies.

Stekelly wrote:
    The only thing it removes is the stick to manually drag the car trhrough gears. .After a while of driving my car I can make it change gears when I want it to and be in the gear i want.

Can you do it as quickly as dropping a cog in a manual though?

To be honest I'm not gonna get too deep into this, I just made a smart comment and appear to be a lone culchie lost in a sea of dubs!

For anyone interested, automatic tractors are particularly crap to drive!!:D

DubTony wrote:
    OK bigkev, fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Try using the :D;) :rolleyes: :):confused: :cool: things on the right. Sometimes my sarcometer isn't switched on. Apologies.

And with that all was calm in the land of the petrol-head boardsies again! :D

Sure I have to try and get on with ye dubs, have another 2 years in Bolton St. before I return to the Real Capital ;) (debate for another day DubTony me old mate!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

GTC wrote:
    Those that enjoy driving hard on back roads pushing a car would probably not consider autos.

So, are you saying that auto boxes are not much used in rallies, or that boy racers in rural areas don't like autos?

Or is it OK to 'drive hard on back roads pushing a car', as long as you are enjoying yourself?

Any opinion on RWD v FWD?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote:
    So, are you saying that auto boxes are not much used in rallies, or that boy racers in rural areas don't like autos?

Or is it OK to 'drive hard on back roads pushing a car', as long as you are enjoying yourself?

Any opinion on RWD v FWD?

Two words

TORQUE STEER

Advertisement