Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Challenge; VRT submissions required to Dept of Finance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Very impressive....especially the consideration of end of life....I'd be interested to see how you calculated the CO2 figures.

Also..think there's a typo on page 4 in the table...>45 = €250:eek: :eek:

One thing though...civil servants are not going to give 2 hoots about the Euro NCAP having been given a CO2 brief...pity cos it looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

ninty9er wrote:
    Very impressive....especially the consideration of end of life....I'd be interested to see how you calculated the CO2 figures.

Also..think there's a typo on page 4 in the table...>45 = €250:eek: :eek:

One thing though...civil servants are not going to give 2 hoots about the Euro NCAP having been given a CO2 brief...pity cos it looks good

Thanks, I've attached the calculations. You're right, >45 should be higher..

As for the Euro NCAP, I included it to demonstrate that taxation of safety features can be avoided, but I take your point about it being outside the brief.

That's some excel file, you wouldn't be an accountant or IT technician??:D :D

Fair play!! The department may just go for it because it's a working system:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

steve06 wrote:
    I'm going to submit something... If VRT for bikes and commercial vehicles is only 50euro... why should cars be different!
    VRT on bikes is 2 euro per cc up to 350cc and 1 euro per additional cc.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

McSandwich wrote:
    Here's mine (see attached). It was a bit rushed as I was away for the weekend and this stuff isn't my idea of how to spend time off!

The idea is to tax vehicles based on their full environmental impact so I've used safety ratings in addition to emissions to calculate tax.

I'm still of the opinion that a pollution tax on fuel is the best way to cut down CO2. Realistically I don't think the dept. of finance are going to go for that as it might reduce their €1bn revenue. In my submission, I proposed an emissions tax based on CO2 g/Km per person (i.e. Rated CO2 / car occupants) so as not to unfairly penalise large families etc. who need 7 seaters and therefore bigger engines.

Looking forward to your opinions... oh, and well done galwaytt for doing something about this

Thats a very good proposal, but what about commercial vehicles?, or cars which were produced before Euro ncap tests and Co2 emissions data was done, like classic cars etc?

• Advertisement

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Thats a very good proposal, but what about commercial vehicles?, or cars which were produced before Euro ncap tests and Co2 emissions data was done, like classic cars etc?

That occurred to me but I didn't have enough time and so just focused on a few main areas. Also, the request for submissions does focus on category A vehicles *. Currently classic cars and some other vehicles are assessed on an individual basis.

For older cars produced pre Euro NCAP, I imagine a fixed tax amount could be used, possibly allowing for the car age. As for emissions - I'm sure NCT test data could be used.

Commercial vehicles such as vans could be assessed based on CO2/ cargo capacity?

* https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

Did anyone who sent a late submission receive a reply?

Well I cc'd Dick Roche, Brian Cowen and Noel Dempsey.

Roche was the only one to reply

Advertisement