Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Wasps

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

game over. Both irsh sides spanked this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flsghujslkuo

I just want to smash all sky commentators... ridicules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

waldouck sin binned. prof foul on contepomi.

shocking performance so far. Dont deserve to win this

o kelly sent off - killin the ball

25-13

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flsghujslkuo

O'Kelly sin bined

Game Over

haha, redan with another try.

this game reminds me of games i've played where we just keep losing!

another try for redden. 35-13.

Game defo over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I wouldn't mind if Wasps were playing the game of their lives but they're not. Leinster aren't even trying. A humiliating performance. Back to the good old days where people can't be bothered supporting them due to their lack of dedication and passion methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

haha, redan with another try.
    Cop on Chucky - I didn't see any Leinster fans laughing openly last night!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

disgraceful performance

Contenpomi has absolutley and utterly choked just like he did last year against Munster. The pack have gotten torn apart in the second half aswell.

What a dire weekend for Irish rugby, the absurd part is that we looked like we would beat them at half-time

davyjose wrote:
    Cop on Chucky - I didn't see any Leinster fans laughing openly last night!!!! :mad:

You should have. Even as a munster fan i found our performance last night comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ive turned it off now. im disgusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You should have. Even as a munster fan i found our performance last night comical.
    Next time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I wonder will Contepomi choke against Ireland in the World Cup in September? He doesn't seem to be able for big games.

So its props for leinster and backs for munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

What the **** was that. The end of the match was a farce - I lost count the number of knock-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I was impressed by Keogh and Wright. Strange as it may sound given that both teams lost I think Leinster will come out of this stronger than Munster. Munster were defending a title and lost, Leinster like the Scarlets last night had nothing to lose so instead of saying they got to the top and fell off as Munster did they can look at from the point of view that they got nearly there again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Good lord what an awful performance. Just like Funkstard said....so many knock-ons.

Well done Wasps. Twice with 14 men they marched on defiantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Stan Wright? During the match he seemed to be everywhere and was carrying alot....except he kept on dropping the ball. Kept on dropping the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

As I have tickets and still intend travelling to the final I was hoping Leinster would get through. I thought a Scarlets/Leinster final would the next best thing to a Munster/anyone final.

Anyone think Reddan should have got MOTM? He has surely passed Boss as reserve SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

basic lesson in rucking given by wasps, very dissapointing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It was a very tame performance from Leinster. They were continually second best in contact.

Contepomi tackled well and earned a couple of turnovers...but in the list of things you want your fly-half to be doing these are someway down toward the bottom. He was awful in other aspects of play, right from the kick off which he couldn't get 10 yards.

Most of the pack were anonymous, Jackman excepted (Oh and Keogh was very good in the first half). Stan Wright carried huge amounts of ball. He also knocked on huge amounts of ball. He knocked on so much ball that S Barnes actually commented on it in the second half. And he can't scrummage. Even Bracken gave him a seeing to.

For Wasps I thought Rees was excellent. Reddan was very good too, but then you should look good behind such a dominant pack. Munster or Leinster could do with looking at him.
    Strange as it may sound given that both teams lost I think Leinster will come out of this stronger than Munster. Munster were defending a title and lost,

It will hurt Munster more to lose their title. Leinster will be disappointed to go out and reconfirm their reputation as a team that can play lovely rugby but who will know their place and bow out when they meet the big contenders.
    They also got an away QF in the first place by losing to Edinburgh.
    Leinster like the Scarlets last night had nothing to lose so instead of saying they got to the top and fell off as Munster did they can look at from the point of view that they got nearly there again this year

Nearly got there is hardly a measure of comfort. By the way, they didn't nearly get there. They were absolutely hockeyed by a team who has looked a bit out of sorts at GP level. If being in the top 8 sides in Europe is a goal, then the Irish sides can be happy with this years HC. Somehow I think the bar is set a bit higher than that.

The really disappointing thing is that last year we would have said that Munster needed incisive backs to complement their forwards, and also to win them games when the pack wasn't having it all its own way. We're still saying that.

For Leinster, we all knew the pack needed bolstering. We might have been fooled into thinking it had been. A lot of forwards were brought in. If you take this game as the ultimate test of progress then you'd have to say it's been minimal. Neither team will be stronger for these experiences unless they take the lessons learned to heart. I'm not sure Kidney will change, arch-conservative that he is. I'm not sure Cheika will be able to get the forwards he needs.

All in all, I'm not very optimistic about the Irish provinces right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

10 minutes of the first half aside Leinster were the better team at half time, and should have been ahead with a penalty try. Contepomi's knee was strapped, so I'm not sure he was fit to kick.

Wasps defence was offside all day.

Leinster did not reappear at half time, and the lads looked absolutely gutted on the flight home last night.

There were a few good performances in the pack, and I have it on top quality assurance that there are two props Leinster bound next season. With Hogan and Cullen in the 2nd row, that should make for a top quality pack.

How loud were the Leinster fans on TV, cos they outsang the Wasps crowd until wasps were 20 points up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

and I have it on top quality assurance that there are two props Leinster bound next season. With Hogan and Cullen in the 2nd row, that should make for a top quality pack.

There are at least two. One is Knoop, from Connacht. The other a young Argie called Gomez. He's currently on a short term deal at..Stade Francais? Or is it Toulouse? Apparently he has signed for Leinster and will be over in June. Unless he reneges for more cash... Whether that'll solve the scrummaging issue remains to be seen. I'd have my doubts over Knoop, I don't know anything about Gomez.

Jennings' is the best acquisition Leinster have made so far. Cullen isn't a bad signing either, but playing in the Leicester pack is an easier environment to excel in than in Leinster's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Contepomi was poor alrite. But id say he wasnt fully fit and that knock at the start of the game wouldnt have helped.
    Still think he needs to put boot to ball a few times in matches.
    I know its this great style we are supposed to play but at times a kick for territory can be good and forwards certainly appreicate it.

Keogh was superb i thought.

There is a serious lack of second rows in Ireland.
    Our number 2 second row is O'Callaghan and he is so average its unreal.

Watching Ben Kay today for Leicester - taking the ball up plenty of times and clearin people out at rucks, Leinster have nobody like that.
    Leo Cullen is average but im sure he will ever so slightly possibly improve our second row situation.

What do people think of Whittaker ?
    Im not saying he played bad at all - but i was never impressed with im when he played Super 12/14 and he hasnt done much for Leinster imo to warrant him as a good signing. Basically i dont see much between him and Easterby.

Do people think our backrow lacks balance ?

Yes Gleeson is an openside,Keogh is a 6 and possibly our best forward this year but Heaslip - big fan of him i am, but as a No.8 he plays so so so loose and is always out hanging around the backs.
    Alot of the top sides have a No.8 who is always in at the contact area competing and knocking the opposition about.

I watched the Leicester v Stade match today and the amount of numbers(alot)that Stade committed to the breakdown today was mad but it worked and they won alot of turnovers and gave Leicester slow messy ball.

Just think our no.8 is rarely competing at the contact area and if he was its an extra body and would help our overall forward situation.
    Im not slagging Healsip off think he is a superb player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Heaslip might be a superb player, but certainly not a superb 8, he's found waiting on the wing to often for my liking.

I'll take not beating France at Croker, I'll take losing the Championship on the last minute of the last dayin the 6nations, I'll take both provinces getting dumped at the quarters of the HCup playing crap, I'll take all that, if and a big 'IF' we can redeem things come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Laslo wrote:
    I wonder will Contepomi choke against Ireland in the World Cup in September? He doesn't seem to be able for big games.

This will be a lot less relvant to Arg as he is not the play maker at no 10 that he is required to be at leinster.

Phil choaked BOG time just like Munster. He took to many bad decisiions and tried too break too often when it was a bad option.
    With the rush defence that evry one on the terrace thought was offside for the whole game we never saw one grubber or chip over, he loves that little chip over the top, where was it on Sat??

The fans did a great job we hammered the waps support in the terrace and I had a great time until we started looking embarrassing, not even a consolation try late on.

Terrible day, its classic BAD leinster once they ghave to chase a game they get SO loose and end up looking hammered. To be fair its the same game plan that brings such thrills but even I feel now that maybe they need to temper the game a bit and play tighter more often, they do have good guys that can do this and next season for me is the season I expect a good H Cup return.

We will win the ML and that has to be seen as an achievement once the dissapointment of the manner we fell out settles.

ironoinc all the ML V EPL at the beginning has panned out! C'Mon Lllanelli!

Advertisement