Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exotics have you sat in?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

IAC Alouette 3
    IAC SA365F Dauphin2
    IAC CM170 Fouga Magister
    EC135-Garda
    ICG Sikorsky S61N
    IAC Siai Marchetti
    IAC CASA CN235MPA
    USN Sea Hawk
    USN FA18 Hornet
    USN F14D Tomcat
    USA Blackhawk
    RN SeaKing AEW
    GAF Tornado ECR
    MarineFlieger Tornado
    USAF A10 Thunderbolt 2
    USAF F16c Falcon
    USAF C130 Hercules
    USAF C141 Starlifter
    RAF Tucano
    FAF Alphajet
    RNLAF Pilatus PC7
    USA Chinook
    Civvy Jet provost

To name a few:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

aww cheater your in the air corps aren't you?

ahh well i've been in the usual,
    737-400
    747-400
    and some airbus

i didn't always have the foresight to find out the type

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sat in Concorde a couple of weeks ago with my 96 year old granddad sat in the pilots seat.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

C141 Starlifter, right seat.
    Blackhawk, left seat.

That's about it, I'm afraid. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Tiger Moth joyflight. (passenger)
    Bolco Helicopters (Lighthouse Service work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

whupass wrote:
    aww cheater your in the air corps aren't you?

He he i wish, my Dad is the Organiser of the Salthill Airshow!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Flown C150, C152, C172, C180, PA18, PA28, PZL Wilga, R22...and a few types of gliders and balloons.
    Been in DHC Beaver, Lockheed L-188 Electra, DC3, R44, Hughes 300, AN-2, MD 500.
    Tyre kicked all the standard military stuff, including the very flat tyre of USN Seahawk...not sure if tyre kicking counts here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Flown (as SLF) in DC3, Jet Provost, Piaggio 149, F27, de Havilland Comet (many times), VC10 (ditto), Dornier 27 & 28, An2, Vickers Viscount (fair few times) & Vanguard, 707 (half slf, half freight - weird!), 727 (a few times), Sud Aviation Caravelle (twice), Hawker Siddeley Trident (couple of times), Huey (we needed to catch a flight 140 miles away and missed our connection so Dad commandeered an Air Force chopper!:D) and a de Havilland Rapide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Flown on

B727/737 ( most models ) / 747-200 -400 /757/767/777
    A300/320/319/318/321/330/340
    Trident 1E / 3
    Tristar ( different models )
    BAe ATP ( bigger version of 748 )
    F27 ( was it the F27 that EI used to use or was that a FH227 ? )
    ATR 42 / 72
    DC10/MD11
    DC9/MD80/82
    Couple of ballons

Piloted

PA28
    C152/172

Sat in

F4
    A10 ( and flown a simulator , that was fun ! )
    F14
    F18
    C2
    Concorde
    VC10
    Walked around Starlifter ( C141 ) Galaxy ( C5 ) Herc ( C130 )
    HS125
    Few other light aircraft I can't think of right now .

Been in jump seat of BA 737 when it went through the old air corridor going into Berlin ( that was wierd )

For some reason I always prefer Airbus's to the equivilent Boeings , no idea why.

RetroRadio... What were the Comets ? DanAir ? Caravelle/707/VC10 you must be around my vintage, I remember watching the Luftwaffe Do28's going in/out of Northolt...... wierd noise they made

Comet

VC10
    G-ARVA is actually in my BOAC Junior Jet Club log book! It was our final flight leaving Sudan *sob!* And this is how we walked out to her at Khartoum Airport, oh the memories!

I LOVE the VC10's such a classic smokey Aircraft the way God intended it to be.

• Advertisement

And so quiet inside with loads of legroom (according to my mother when discussing it last night as we looked at some shots my Dad took - I was ickle at the time so legroom wasn't a problem!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I can remember the VC10s in Heathrow as a kid they were noisy, What ever happend to that Junkers 52 that was lying up in Dublin Airport for ages, they must be as scarce as hens teeth now.

Blimey...... someone mentioning Ju52.........

I forgot , one time we went to the Spanish Airforce Museum , they let us loose in their storage facility ....

So add to my list

Ju52
    Nord Atlas, ill have to hunt out my photo where I was pretending to be a parach

They had piles of Ju52 frames, ie 10 or 12 ( I think they built them in Spain at some point ).

I just LOVED VC10's , if you stood on the Queen's Building at LHR and one taxied past they made the wierdest whistling noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Davidth88 wrote:

Been in jump seat of BA 737 when it went through the old air corridor going into Berlin ( that was wierd )

What was that like? Weird controlled flying down a specific route through the soviet area? Tell more....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Sadly as much as ive always loved flying ive managed to get on hardly anything interesting...

737/747/757s
    A321s and 20s
    Jetranger for a trip around orlando years ago....

Sat in spitfires, a harrier and a tornade at duxford and farnbourogh. Got onto the static concorde at Duxford. Thats bout it!

Pclancy

It was during the time when the wall was falling ( you remember they showed people with hammers etc , that was me ! )

Anyway, you had to decent to 18,000 which is really quite low , and then you were controlled by the American controllers in Berlin . No Soviet controllers that I remember.

We landed in thick fog , I remember the 1st Officer flicking the autopilot off at 50ft and landing manually because he had to get a manual landing in his log ...... I was amazed that counted as a manual landing !

The really fun part , I was in the jump seat , but there was a check Captain on board , he and the PIC insisted I stayed up there for the landing and he sat on a bulkhead ( very naughty ).

We got stopped by security leaving Berlin with bags full of rubble ( parts of the wall ) and all they could do was laugh !

Climbing out of there it was daylight , miles and miles of area that the Soviets obviously played wargames with tank-tracks/bunkers etc ..... really odd.

No chance of getting up-front nowadays !

I remember landing in a Air Manx ATP at Kerry in the jumpseat one time, the next time I flew in a FR 737 , I nearly had a heart attack ( I was in a normal seat ) when we passed what I knew was the end of the runway at about 80 knots still breaking .... little did I know that they had extended the runway in the year or so between visits !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Flown as 'Co-pilot' in:
    Eurocopter EC120
    Augusta 109 power/grand/C

Sat in:
    Sikorsky s76

Flown:
    Robinson R22

Davidth88 wrote:
    So add to my list

Ju52

I just LOVED VC10's , if you stood on the Queen's Building at LHR and one taxied past they made the wierdest whistling noise.
    Sadly, that's not a Ju52 as the Spanish had licence built and re-engined German built examples but both types were officially referred to as the CASA 352.

But we'll keep that just between us, shall we? It's a feckin' Ju52 ;)

And thanks for reviving that long-buried memory of the whistling VC10 engines, I'd forgotten that.

Ok a CASA 352 is exotic enough.......

There must be a few people on the boards here who remember the Magisters they really had a high pitched whistle ( or the Paris )

Did anyone ever see the inside of the Paris ? An exec jet made out of a Magister basically ... what did the VIP's do lie down ? :-)

I remember them coming into RAF Northolt.

Wierd looking thing right enough, although it looks as if the passengers were allowed to sit up;
    Paris.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I flew in a Pitts Special in Arizona - got to pilot the plane for
    aerobatics for about 1/2 an hour over the desesrt !! unforgettable.

flown as passenger on :

Twin Otter, Some Big Sikorsky Chopper, Rallye

Shane.

Steyr wrote:
    IAC Alouette 3
    IAC SA365F Dauphin2
    IAC CM170 Fouga Magister
    EC135-Garda
    ICG Sikorsky S61N
    IAC Siai Marchetti
    IAC CASA CN235MPA
    USN Sea Hawk
    USN FA18 Hornet
    USN F14D Tomcat
    USA Blackhawk
    RN SeaKing AEW
    GAF Tornado ECR
    MarineFlieger Tornado
    USAF A10 Thunderbolt 2
    USAF F16c Falcon
    USAF C130 Hercules
    USAF C141 Starlifter
    RAF Tucano
    FAF Alphajet
    RNLAF Pilatus PC7
    USA Chinook
    Civvy Jet provost

To name a few:D

Pitts Special eh ! I am impressed

Were you sick ?

There was a time when they were the 'de-rigur' aerobatic aircraft at all the shows..... I remember the Rothman's Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont get air or sea sick so that was not a problem. The speed
    that it was able to pull flick rolls was amazing - literally just yank
    the stick left - wait 2 seconds and you're back upright.

I still remember his instructions on parachute use - "you'll
    know we have a problem if I get mad and leave the
    plane. When you leave the plane dont shout
    Geronimo or count to 3 - just find the rip-cord and
    pull like hell!!!'

I remember the Rothmans team - very impressive.
    Was there there 3 planes in that at one stage ?

I seem to recall that one the displays pilot who appeared
    in airshows around that time was called Arthur Wignal -
    he crashed during practice or a display in a Pitts in think.

S.
    Davidth88 wrote:
    Pitts Special eh ! I am impressed

Were you sick ?

There was a time when they were the 'de-rigur' aerobatic aircraft at all the shows..... I remember the Rothman's Team

There were three in the team if I remember. I also seem to recall that girls in catsuits used to wander around giving out free fags during the show .... would never be allowed nowadays .

I don't remember Arther Wignall however.

Didn't the Pitts have a fuel system that worked inverted as well or something ( as I suppose all fully aerobatic aircraft do )

Can anyone answer what the pylon things stuck on the end of some aerobatic aircraft wings are for ? Are they to allow you to keep some sort of perspective , if so how do they work?

They show you if your level with the Horizon as you look out to your left or right ( wherever you place them ) or both sides ( if you have them on both sides )

I suppose an artifcial horizon would break , or you want to keep you head out of the cockpit.

Thanks Steyr, I knew it was something like that , I remember I even asked an owner of a CAP one time , but I couldn't remember the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

SAT IN:

IAC Alouette III
    IAC Gazelle
    IAC Dauphin
    IAC EC 355N Squirell (Garda)
    IAC Defender 4000 (Garda)
    IAC Fouga Magister
    IAC Marchetti
    IAC Cessna FR 172 H/K
    IAC Beechcraft ( also flown simulator)
    IAC Casa CN 235 ( and the one on loan in early 90's)
    IAC Gulfstream 4
    IAC Avro Anson
    IAC De Havilland Vampire

USAF Chinook
    USAF A-10
    USAF AH-64 Apache:D
    Canadian Air Force C-130 Hercules
    RAF Harrier
    Sweedish Saab Griffen
    F-14 (american I think)
    F-18 (american i think)
    F-16 (french i think)

Boeing 737 - 300
    HS 125

Been in a few others but i was younger so cant remember, basically, i had a blast at the 97 and 00 air shows in baldonnell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

whupass wrote:
    ahh well i've been in the usual,
    737-400
    747-400
    and some airbus

Same here, airbus 330, and also one of the navy helicopters because I was on medical duty on reek sunday last year.

IAC Defender 4000 (Garda)

How did you get into that even people i know who are well in with the IAC cant get into the GASU Defender....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Steyr wrote:
    How did you get into that even people i know who are well in with the IAC cant get into the GASU Defender....

dad was a sergeant in the IAC when it first came in:D
    its just a flying computer really, more leg room in a shopping trolley

Advertisement