Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Station Names (was part of Docklands Station opening)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

all stops/stations should be named after the principal street they exit to. that way, any a-z will allow the foreigner to find the place on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Skyhater wrote:
    The new station is serving a development called "Phoenix Park Racecourse"....... and i definitely think "Phoenix Park" is a misleading name!!!
    Other ideas could be,
    "Dunsink Observatory", "Castleknock East", or "Ashtown West"????

Or perhaps "Phoenix Park Racecourse", if that's the name of the only community it serves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

mackerski wrote:
    Or perhaps "Phoenix Park Racecourse", if that's the name of the only community it serves.

Bit long winded....(Station Name Signs would be much bigger, therefore better for the Graffiti Artists :rolleyes: ) ... But better then ""Phoenix Park"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Skyhater wrote:
    Other ideas could be,
    "Dunsink Observatory", "Castleknock East", or "Ashtown West"????
    I had also thought of Ashtown West and think it's the best name, simply because Ashtown is the closest named area to the new station location and all other possible names are crap:

Racecourse - It's not a racecourse
    Phoenix Park - This would result in tourists etc. thinking that the station was the primary access point for the park , which it isn't.
    Dunsink Observatory - OK but the observatory is too far from the station for it to be of any use

When an area has no specific name but is near another area it's common to give the new area a name which is geographically related to the other area. The final solution is to come up with a totally new name, but that would be a bit ad-hoc.

spacetweek wrote:
    I had also thought of Ashtown West and think it's the best name, simply because Ashtown is the closest named area to the new station location and all other possible names are crap:

If only we all were in charge of station naming :)
    Unfortunately, the decision has already been made on this one. Phoenix Park is already on the Maps, Timetables, etc.
    But it's not too late for "Christchurch Station"...... Hopefully Public consultation process will save it!!!! The Dublin tourist office might have more influence than this board..... Might be worth a letter!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Remind me. Is Christchurch on the North Island or South Island? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its on the South Island AND south of the Liffey!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Skyhater wrote:
    Well Give me a better one......
    Tolka Valley?
    New Broombridge?:rolleyes:
    Maybe something connected to the Strongbow battle with the King of Connaught close by?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another consideration when naming stations is that both the Irish and English versions have to be able to fit in the illuminated sign on the carriage.

I think this gives a maximum length of twenty-two characters, but I'm not sure - there is definitely a limit though.

**edit Point of information - it's Christ Church, not Christchurch - they are quite picky about that.**

You know, looking at where it is, why not just call it 'Navan Road'? Might cause confusion if Navan does reopen

• Advertisement

You know, looking at where it is, why not just call it 'Navan Road'? Might cause confusion if Navan does reopen

I was thinking of that, also though it might get confused with the P&R station at Pace..... But still think it's a good Idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The station in Pace is referred to as M3 Park And Ride on the plans, this hits a issue if a station is built on the west side of Dunshaughlin which would also be a M3 park and ride. Pace you will have trouble finding on a map. The station for Fairyhouse racecourse was only 300m up the road from the M3 station site

Up in Navan, Trim Rd is a possible name though it will probably be called Navan South or Navan Junction (former station off the Trim Rd)

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The station for Fairyhouse racecourse was only 300m up the road from the M3 station site
    Have you seen the rubble from it there Mark? It was uncovered by the clearance work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

murphaph wrote:
    all stops/stations should be named after the principal street they exit to. that way, any a-z will allow the foreigner to find the place on a map.

That sounds good in a coldly logical way but at some point you have to decide where the boundary between a city station with a street name or a suburban station where a town/village name would be more appropriate.

There is another problem with that when dealing with old railway lines, many of the stations are on roads called "Station Road".

Besides there can be confusion caused by accurately naming stops after their roads.

People are regularly found looking confused at Edgware station, a town at the northern edge of Greater London on the london Underground network when they actually should have been going to or through Edgware Road station near Paddington, central London.

Probably the best one though is the confusion that has caused a fair number of tourists and dopey locals to get deposited a very long way from their intended destination when travelling from Norwich by confusing London Liverpool St. with Liverpool Lime St.

Yes, if these people conulted a-z or timetables or generally paid attention these mix-ups wouldn't happen but the reality is trhat there are plenty of people who for whatever reason do or cannot manage this and any possible confusion will lead them astray.

I could also mention the fleet of trains in the UK that had to be modified soon after introduction as the poorly placed (but very well marked in numerous languages) emergency stop lever in the toilets were regularly being tugged on by people trying to flush the toilet. If there is ANY possible way of confusing something there is a % of people out there that will do so.

Navan Road is much better than Phoenix Park and from Blanch onwards to navan the road shall be known as the M3 so I think Navan Road could work.

Id much prefer to see 'Pace' than 'M3 Park and Ride'.

In light of the latest route designs for the interconnector perhaps the names 'Thomas Street', 'Cornmarket' and 'Liberties' should also be looked at:

interconnector3.JPG

Advertisement