Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about boards bans for abuse

Options
  • 24-03-2007 11:02am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭


    if i call someone an idiot and a sap will i get banned ?
    Post edited by Shield on


«13

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam


    Yes and no probably


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    ok
    and now another question.

    if someone calls me an idiot and a sap will they get banned ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne


    It depends on the moderator.

    Most would start off with a warning, then if the poster persists, a ban.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar


    Of course you will you dopey baxtard* :D


    *a tongue in cheek remark for illustrative purposes only. Not intended as a real insult. No offence intended.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    just wondering because it is tolerated in the motors forum.

    and when i complained i got told to shut up by a cmod.

    i dont really care about being called an idiot but i think that if its ok for someone to say it to me then it shoud be ok for me to say it .

    double standards


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec


    green123 wrote:
    if call someone an idiot and a sap will i get banned ?

    You've already reported the post, it's obvious that the other poster was wrong. Now wait and see what happens.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar


    Xebec is right, you only just reported that post. It's early on Saturday morning not all mods are on line yet. Those that keep late hours may not even check in before lunch.

    Mods are not bots we sleep and live too. Some appear earlier than other because of time-zone differences. For the same reason some will appear later.

    Relax, the mods will take care of it as soon as it comes to their notice if they think it's serious enough.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko


    The place for ban sulking is usually Feedback


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th


    Yeah, I'd ban you for posting this thread in the wrong forum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan


    ok, so you reported the thread, and i had a quick read, saw that you are all huffing and puffing so i told you all to be quite and stop acting like children and locked the thread.

    then you pm me and ask me that same question you posed at the top of this thread.

    and i will say the sae to you here as i did in the pm to you, so everyone can see the wisdom of my decisions.

    i dont ban people for calling other people idiots. i think its juvenille. i will tell people to give it a rest.

    however, the post you reported was this
    thanks kristopherus
    they all moaned about the title but not one of them could answer the question ... idiots ..... do yis not have better things to moan about saps


    for the more helpful of the board its a 99 1.6

    i see no directg abuse at you there.
    as far as im concerned, your outrage on the behalf of the nation at this slight is a little over the top, and im not going to ban anyone for it.


    so, you can continue to be outraged at this apparent abuse you have received, or you can be a stong chap and brush it off.

    either way, the feedback forum is the place for complaints, and if you feel that my answer is not satisfactory enough, you should post there and continue your crusade. i willl of course cut and paste this post and put it there, just so you can have the same answer to the same question in 3 different ways.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan


    green123 wrote:
    just wondering because it is tolerated in the motors forum.

    and when i complained i got told to shut up by a cmod.

    i dont really care about being called an idiot but i think that if its ok for someone to say it to me then it shoud be ok for me to say it .

    double standards

    again, you werent directly told to shut up, told everyone to shutup and stop acting like children.

    if you are going to make a case for yourself, then you should be accurate in your accusation.

    right now you just sound like a petulant little child.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l


    Yep, I've got to admit that I looked at the reported post and thought to myself that you weren't directly targeted. Now if that poster had said "Oi, green123, you're an idiot and a sap" then that's a direct attack on you.

    To be honest, in my view only, something as mild as that would merit a warning at most. Had he called you a "pathetic little pr*ck who w*nks while he molests chickens by night" that would deserve a hearty chuckle...followed by a ban. That's just how I would react :)

    People here are always sayinng things such as "The Government are saps", I don't think Bertie Ahern cries himself to sleep over it or feels directly targeted :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    like i said earlier i dont care about being called an idiot.
    what i dont like is the double standards.
    i think if i called someone an idiot i would be banned.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan


    do you have some sort of agenda here that i cant see?
    did you get banned for calling someone an idiot?

    i am not every other moderator, and i made the call that i would make every ther time.
    if youre not happy with it, then away to feedback.

    im sorry you feel there are double standards here, but i cant see where you are getting this from.

    you can feel free to call me an idiot if you want. i promise i wont ban you.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar


    green123 wrote:
    i think if i called someone an idiot i would be banned.
    Give it a shot and see what happens...;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    i have never called anyone on boards an idiot.
    but if/when i do, i better not get banned


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec


    green123 wrote:
    i have never called anyone on boards an idiot.
    but if/when i do, i better not get banned

    Threatening?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l


    No, you should be saying that if you call someone in the motors forum an idiot you should not get a ban (although I'm one for thinking it's all about context).

    You weren't directly referred to as an idiot, I think you're moaning about nothing here to b truthful.

    All forums are moderated differently and have different rules. Even within individual fora, what one forum mods see as bannable another forum mod might think merits only a warning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    people got warnings in the thread for complaining about the stupid title.
    but then somebody is allowed to call these people idiots and get away with it.
    ridiculous


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan


    green123 wrote:
    people got warnings in the thread for complaining about the stupid title.
    but then somebody is allowed to call these people idiots and get away with it.
    ridiculous


    are you just going to rehash the point that everything is ridiculous, or are you going to make a point?

    what exactly are you looking for? what justice are you lookng for, or are you just having a little rant?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,225 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train


    i would say report a post if you stongly about it and leave it up to the gods to decide what happens. Getting worked up about it or feeling things aren't fair might just result in the bolt of lightning striking you (trolling rules etc). Lifes not fair, lifes too short, karmas a bitch, yore ma's a whore, everything sucks and all that other stuff, its only the internet, so take a deep breath etc


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    some people got warnings and were told to be nice for complaining about the title, while someone else was allowed to call us idiots and nothing is said.

    i think this is wrong and is double standards


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec


    Anyone else getting annoyed by this thread? I certainly am.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan


    some people got warnings and were told to be nice for complaining about the title, while someone else was allowed to call us idiots and nothing is said.

    i think this is wrong and is double standards

    again, get your facts right.


    i told everyone to shut up.

    now, either make a point and show us what the issue is, or im going to lock this thread becuase you just keep saying the same thing.

    youve made your point. you think its unfair.
    i dont.
    great, we disagree. if you have something further to add, then add it, otherwise take it feedback as i keep saying, and stop pming about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    again, get your facts right.


    i told everyone to shut up.

    now, either make a point and show us what the issue is, or im going to lock this thread becuase you just keep saying the same thing.

    youve made your point. you think its unfair.
    i dont.
    great, we disagree. if you have something further to add, then add it, otherwise take it feedback as i keep saying, and stop pming about it.

    i have my facts right.
    i was talking about another mod in the thread, not you .
    i replied to a pm - you told me to stop and i did .
    dont make it sound like i am spamming you


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan


    green123 wrote:
    i have my facts right.
    i was talking about another mod in the thread, not you .
    i replied to a pm - you told me to stop and i did .
    dont make it sound like i am spamming you


    considering that kbannon asked to stop going on about the thread well before this 'perceived' insult, im going to have to continue thinking hat you are talking about me.

    what kbannon said, had nothing to do with the 'insult', so the only mod that didnt ban anyone for an insult, was me.

    so now youre either greatly mistaken, or you are lying.

    and i asked you to take it to feedback, and you pmd me again. i didnt say you were spamming me, i asked you not to pm me about it again.
    please dont try and make it sound as if im exaggerating, when in fact, most of your posts have been shown to be factually incorrect.

    do we want to continue this dance or not. im begining to get bored.


    you dont think it fair. fine. i think i have already acknowledged that you think its unfair.
    but nothing will change, with the exception that you are getting annoying with your repetitious posts.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭madness


    green123 wrote:
    just wondering because it is tolerated in the motors forum.

    and when i complained i got told to shut up by a cmod.

    i dont really care about being called an idiot but i think that if its ok for someone to say it to me then it shoud be ok for me to say it .

    double standards
    you can call me an idiot if u want it might stop all this b*ll ****e ur on about.....
    you wont get banned.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    considering that kbannon asked to stop going on about the thread well before this 'perceived' insult, im going to have to continue thinking hat you are talking about me.

    what kbannon said, had nothing to do with the 'insult', so the only mod that didnt ban anyone for an insult, was me.

    so now youre either greatly mistaken, or you are lying.

    and i asked you to take it to feedback, and you pmd me again. i didnt say you were spamming me, i asked you not to pm me about it again.
    please dont try and make it sound as if im exaggerating, when in fact, most of your posts have been shown to be factually incorrect.

    do we want to continue this dance or not. im begining to get bored.


    you dont think it fair. fine. i think i have already acknowledged that you think its unfair.
    but nothing will change, with the exception that you are getting annoying with your repetitious posts.

    i am not greatly mistaken or lying.

    so you think its fair that some of us get warned and told to be nice for complaining about a thread title, while the person who posted the stupid thread title and called us idiots and saps hears no more about it ?

    he is allowed to go on posting stupid thread titles and continue to call people idiots and saps


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma


    Hagar wrote:
    Of course you will you dopey baxtard* :D


    *a tongue in cheek remark for illustrative purposes only. Not intended as a real insult. No offence intended.
    Banned.*






    *...stuff goes here...



    Thread moved to Feedback with the other tripe.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123


    madness wrote:
    you can call me an idiot if u want it might stop all this b*ll ****e ur on about.....
    you wont get banned.....

    the problem isnt the idiot thing.

    the problem is that some of us get warned and told to be nice for complaining about a thread title, while the person who posted the stupid thread title and called us idiots and saps hears no more about it


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement