Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet for the Kicker?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Maybe you should leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Jeepers! This thread has gone WAYYYYY off topic! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Call in the mods

Ooops they are all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Not me...oh wait. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have to say I love the silence.. especially when it unnerves the french .. (sorry Stef!) but that said, its great to head to somewhere where they dont.

Loved the whole Thomand thing on a Saturday evening, sounds like even the cars stop... when we are watching at home, silence descends on the house its hillarious to watch the non rugby people get shushed!

Anyways, different ways of respect, silence to help you concentrate, loudness because we think you can get it and we are trying to put you off! My 2c anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I for one don't see why there should be silence for the kicker, if there is a full up and under does the crowd go quiet at thomond park or anywhere else, for the full back to concentrate on catching the kick, in fact its the opposite, thats the whole point of playing at home and the crowd being a '16th' man.
    Who exactly are we supposed to be respecting? the kicker? any kicker worth his salt wouldn't give a damn if there was a full on party happening in the stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Webbs wrote:
    I for one don't see why there should be silence for the kicker, if there is a full up and under does the crowd go quiet at thomond park or anywhere else, for the full back to concentrate on catching the kick, in fact its the opposite, thats the whole point of playing at home and the crowd being a '16th' man.
    Who exactly are we supposed to be respecting? the kicker? any kicker worth his salt wouldn't give a damn if there was a full on party happening in the stands

i agree with Webbs here.
    you bring fans to cheer you on and intimidate the opposition. so if you are making a racket to put off the other team for the match during play why should you be quiet when they are taking a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

i think its just another one of those things where rugby is set apart from other sports, and its remarkable how its still around im glad it is. imagine trying to persuade the KOP to be quiet for a united penalty etc.. it just shows charachter and class imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

i think its just another one of those things where rugby is set apart from other sports, and its remarkable how its still around im glad it is. imagine trying to persuade the KOP to be quiet for a united penalty etc.. it just shows charachter and class imo.

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heh, I shush people in my local when it comes to kicks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Webbs wrote:
    Both very good points there! However, I do tend to agree with Webbs more than goodluck2me.

BUT, I do keep silent during kicks if I am at a game in Ireland because this is the way it is here and I respect that.

Advertisement