Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on travelling to Oz??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Melbourne is more cultured than Sydney..... People are friendly and it feels more like a European city where as Sydney feels like the UK in the sun. Melbourne is very hot and dry during the summer and very cold during the winter driving through Victoria is very like driving through Ireland. I would be happy living anywhere in Australia takes a while to settle in but real Aussies hold dear the same values of Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Mandrake,thats great advice thanks a million. I'd prob be looking in call centres as all of my working exp is in sales/telesales.

We were planning to start off in Sydney for 3mths and work our way from there.. but maybe thats not such a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

man1 wrote:
    Oops!!
    Sorry, didnt know that.

Are you still in Sydney? Is that where you are working now?
    Have you been to Melbourne, whats it like?
    We might be going there to live.

Any particular questions about Melbourne? I've been here just over a year now. Came over on the working holiday visa and waiting to hear on my de facto visa application now. In theory I should be well qualified to answer any visa/Melbourne related questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

G86 wrote:
    I'd prob be looking in call centres as all of my working exp is in sales/telesales.
    QUOTE]

In that case you would want to contact Sinead at IPA she is a friend of mine she told me she is running a contract with Optus paying $21 an hour for customer service in a call centre and its dead easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

Hi,

I came out here to oz 3 yrs ago on the 417 (working holiday visa) you'll get this approved on the net in roughly days www.immi.gov.au, when my yr was up i did a visa run and got the eta tourist visa i stayed for 2 and half months on that, then put in an application for a 457 employer sponsored visa, and last year i got my permanent residency.

there are afew things the 3 or now 6 month rule with the one company is a load of ****e, i did the full 12 months and the 2 and half months with the one company and my 457 and subsequent residnecy was approved obviously you dont put longer than 3 months or 6 months or whatever the condition of the visa is on the forms but tax and immigration arent linked up.

a lot of the www.taxback.com etc geared to backpackers they wont tell the lies you need when doin tax returns tell you about the beneifts of the abn :D particularly if its in somebodys else name etc etc etc all this stuff you'll find out from the likes of me that have been here a while know the ropes!

sydeny is a drinking holes, great craic but i couldnt hack the county bondi dont get me wrong a weekend there is great but couldnt live there rent of $150 to share a room is common you'll pay less than that in brisbane or perth to have your own room and a swimming pool, it all depends on if you like the irish scence that much.

i worked as a quantity surveyor i was straight out of college but changed around the dates on the cv dont be afraif to do that! and ended up as a project manager and am now doing my own civils work out here. work in construction is easy to come by brisbane gold coast are booming no one will care bout the 6 month rule, large multinational companies might.

any more questions just ask, as i said all the backpackers publications etc will only tell you stuff going by the book not actually wat you can get away with!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

mandrake04 - Please don't post contact details on this forum, particularly if they're not your own. You may advise the OP that you have a work contact, and that they might contact you via PM for more details if they're interested.

Cheers mandrake, i got the website but could you pm me the email ? thanks a mil :)

Oh and K974 thanks for all the info!! I've gotten loads of advice on this thread now:D I have a better idea of how it works now.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Mandrake, It is not the first time I have heard that playing GAA could help you out with jobs. Can you elaborate on this? How? What clubs do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

battser wrote: »
    Mandrake, It is not the first time I have heard that playing GAA could help you out with jobs. Can you elaborate on this? How? What clubs do this?

It's pretty straight forward - you meet people on the team, they hook you up with a job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement