Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what have you got out of it so far? POSITIVE FEEDBACK ONLY.

Options
  • 13-03-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Righteo, last leg of the school year more or less.

I don't want a pros and cons thread, I want to hear what everyone got out of TY personally, and by that I mean the good things.

Well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've gotten pretty much nothing out of the year itself
    but I've met two of the best friends I've ever had through doing this year
    and they're the only reason I don't regret the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Best thing I've gotten out of it is a trip to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

eh.. type in trinity was good.
    met a few new people from not only our school but others in sligo and around the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Nothing a complete waste of time:confused: didn't do exactly what it said on the tin anyway.

TY=overrated

#Elites wrote:
    i agree:D
    me to.

we were promised so much by our school but in reality..:rolleyes:

can i add paintballing to that list as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Well lads I asked for the good things, not the "its a waste of time" stuff so wanna try and stick to that? Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Rozabeez wrote:
    Well lads I asked for the good things, not the "its a waste of time" stuff so wanna try and stick to that? Yeah.
    Don't bother, you've got no authority.

:P

Rozabeez wrote:

What good things:rolleyes:. Oh well I have two Social Outreach (truly amazing experience) and our Magazine which btw won best cover last year in the Irish Times School Magazine awards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Timans wrote:
    Don't bother, you've got no authority.

:P

She can ban yo' fat ass.

I got a lot out of it I think. I met a lot of new cool people I'd never spoken to before and made friends with more people outside my year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

hate to be frightfully rude about it, but whats the point in discussing TY if people can't say that they didn't get anything out of it at all, which will be the case in some scenarios.

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    She can ban yo' fat ass.

I got a lot out of it I think. I met a lot of new cool people I'd never spoken to before and made friends with more people outside my year.

like who exactly piste?;)

Jakkass wrote:
    hate to be frightfully rude about it, but whats the point in discussing TY if people can't say that they didn't get anything out of it at all, which will be the case in some scenarios.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

An attempt to spread some love, appreciation, and good cheer? : P

At the end of the day, TY gave me a thirst for 5th year. Also we got to dance in the patrick's day parade (last year, now, though, I think the TYs in my school did that again this year). And I got to get off early every wednesday to go to Tallaght for a writing group. Though it wasn't organised by the school, if I hadn't been in TY it wouldn't have been possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The only benefit I really got from TY was time to develop my own skills at other things. Mainly computer programming and reading more. I suppose that's always a good thing right?

Jakkass wrote:

Because it's that time of year again where 3rd year students need to make up their mind about TY, so I reckon I'm helping out the good name of Transition Year for asking for positive feedback, and because we already have a pros and cons thread, don't we?

Next person to argue with it gets a banning.
    /Me glances at Timans...that's a warning, young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Im nearly finished college now but saw this thread and thought I would add what I got out of TY even though it was like 5 or 6 years ago this stage.

In my school there were only 50 TY places out of about 140 students in third year, so it was elective and not everyone that wanted to do it got to.

My personal experience with finishing TY and then going into 5th year was that the people who hadnt done TY seemed really immature and childish.

So whether you realise it or not - you've matured a great deal in that year. Most of you probably had the joy of working a crap job and realise how bad your life could be for a while if you leave school without a proper qualification or if you dont make a good go at doing what you want to do.

When I look back at what I got out of TY - very little in quantifiable terms, but if you look at it as a year of reflection, growing up, and getting to grips with the 'real' world, then I see it as being quite valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hmmm...positive...positive.....ok, I'll try.

Work experience can be very useful if you pick a good place. Even though a lot of the time you're just making tea/coffee and cleaning, you still get to watch the people work and it can give you a good idea of a career you might like to do or wouldn't like to do. That is a good experience.

People say it's a break from studying (ME: what studying???) which is true if you actually wasted your time studying for the junior cert. So it can be a lot less stressful and, depending on your school, the little trips outside school can be fun and it's a change from being stuck in school doing f.uck all.

If you put the effort in, you can get a lot out of it. (Presidents Award, ECDL, fundraising etc.) otherwise, it is excruciatingly boring and pointless. So my advice to 3rd year students considering doing 4th year; Do something worthwhile in TY and it won't be such a dos, and don't be a big waster like me!

like who exactly piste?;)

Well there was a mad guy from Cavan and a few people from schools in Dublin that I met at physics. Then there was this Dude from Sligo, awful strange he was :p

Piste wrote:
    Well there was a mad guy from Cavan and a few people from schools in Dublin that I met at physics. Then there was this Dude from Sligo, awful strange he was :p
    i thought he was pretty fly myself...specially for a white guy! :p

Bejaysis the sexual tension, just take it to the PMs and get it over with!!

I jest...(Or do I..?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hmm.. suppose i should post here ^_^

right. what did i get out of it.

well i've had a load more time to myself - so i was able to get better at other things outside of school (computers / gaming / karate / etc). Even though i was already quite mature going into TY, i find it has increased more. i've gotten a better outlook on lots of things now. I made more friends (Inc. One in particular on this forum ^_^ ) and thats always good. My Uber 1337 PC skills have been realised by all teachers in the school, and im being used left, right and centre for whatever. Last week i got an easter egg(Roses) for helping out one of the teachers.

I really liked the trips we went on (Delphi and Brussles). Delphi.. wow.. what an experience.I'm normally so.. shy.. not myself.. basically another person in school. Delphi allowed me to be me around everyone. and i really got into everything. Thanks to delphi, im now in the process of taking up surfing (and going to lahinch surf school this summer)

Brussles, again.. was good. really felt i grew closer to my friends on the trip. had a good laugh and what not :D also bought sunglasses for 100+ quid... ahh.. good times :)

Loads of stuff which is going to look good on a CV going on this year, eg. ECDL, etc.

Really getting involved in things around the school, and because of it im getting in on a 5th year trip to Sennheiser factory.

Got to do some really cool things in school, like we even made a short film for a mess :D

other things like i grew a lot more confident about myself.. with help from certain people, even though they might not know it ^_^

Oh.. and almost forgot. When we were doing our first aid training / exam, i grew really friendly with the paramedics. i ended up as an actual examiner once i had my exam done! afterwards i got chatting and made some cool links for kayaking if i ever get interested.

overall so far, its been a killer of a year. and if i had the option to do it again, i say HELL YEAH!

This concludes our broadcast. *click*

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mocha One Sugar

awh man!!!!
    so many things!
    ok the best part about TY is you have the spare time to do anything you wish...
    i a few brief sentences i will give a quick run-through of my year so far.
    10 days sailing on the Asgard around Ireland in the September hurricane
    Dail na nOg & Comhairle na nOg
    on the Mayor's youth advisory organising commitee organising a conference in May
    Joining the Galway Choral Association as an alto
    organising Battle of the Bands events with the Gaf youth cafe
    Work experience at Galway NOW (glossy mag in the West) - got 5 articles printed so far
    Joining the gym and going 4 times a week
    Student Council
    Had a part in the Christmas panto - Mamo Ge - at an Taibhdearc
    Taking Spanish classes
    Forum on Europe debating
    Kickboxing, trips to Petersburg & Killary.
    founding a hoodies & yearbook committee
    Volunteering at Ashling Centre with semi able-bodied people
    Gaining barista experience every weekend at the Amnesty Freedom Cafe (for Gaisce)
    learning how to drive
    European Youth Parliament
    Directing Chekov plays through Irish
    i did ECDL too but man i hated it!

awh man!!! so many things!
    not to mention crazy drunken nights out, making so many new friends (in school and out - you really grow closer to people you'd never dreamt of being friends with), concerts (Scissor Sisters in November and MCR next Sunday),
    a lot of shopping, a lot of deep conversations masked with 'OMG' and 'like', and in a strange way... growing up. gaining confidence as well.
    and... our trip to Barcelona hasn't even happened yet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Someone's having a fantastic year! Fair play to your school for organising such a great year for ye.
    I can't really add much else different: I became friends with loads of people in my year that I never really talked to before, we went on the radio and on a great trip to Tullamore with MiniCompany, we went to this outdoor pursuits place (Russagh Mill) which was fantastic fun, took Italian classes, learned how to drive in my spare time, did drama for the first time, local history....all pretty cool stuff.
    I'd recommend it, but I agree with Killaqueen!!!! that you shouldn't be a dosser. I did, and failed my maths summer test, and it took a while to get back working in maths, but if you can strike some sort of balance, it's an excellent year to do. It's compulsory in our school, but everyone benefited because we all became so much more mature, petty bitching stopped and everyone got closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Was bored most of the time, will try Fíodhna'a approach to write down all the stuff I did

helped out with kids with autism, teaching them to swim and helping out in the school
    did the Young Scientist
    got involved in debating
    was too lazy to finish Gaisce (believe it or not)
    got an article published in the Irish Times
    got a waitressing connection by doing it for a week of work experience, may be able to get a part-time job out of it during the Summer then
    got a good chance to really consider what I want to be and pick my subjects
    got a lead part in the school play
    getting better at camogie
    got big into singing
    didn't have any exams
    did ECDL, it's awful (I assume I've completed it......)
    did some yoga and hopefully going to continue it out of school
    went on lots of daytrips etc. in school (zoo, vincent's hospital etc.)
    made lots more friends (suppose I'd have done that anyway though)
    became terrible academically (fifth year will really tell though, honours maths don't seem a likely)
    a few bouts of drunkenness here and there but I'm finished with them

I think I'll really know what I got out of the year by the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Became a lot more serious about my journalism aspirations; work experience and another outside-school venture has me writing for local papers.

Have grown in confidence, watched a brilliant episode of Family Guy in English class, went paintballing which was tremendous fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

erm lets see....

.... i erm.......

learned.... erm....

How to confront teachers? yea i suppose that was a good thing!

and erm....
    eh....

got so bored that i checked my bebo everyday in school? (come on now, thats bad)

Yea, thats about it i suppose.
    Whoever it was who said that ty is "NOT exactly what it says on the tin" then i agree with you entirely.
    I mean words can not describe the grudges i have built up against the two teachers who organised our ty. awdouinawodun is about right i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Rozabeez wrote:
    Because it's that time of year again where 3rd year students need to make up their mind about TY, so I reckon I'm helping out the good name of Transition Year for asking for positive feedback

CHILDREN FOR THE LUV OF GHAD DON'T DO IT, DONT DO IT !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    CHILDREN FOR THE LUV OF GHAD DON'T DO IT, DONT DO IT !!!!!!

No.........FIND OUT IF YOUR SCHOOL PROVIDES A GOOD TY! IF IT DOESN'T THEN DON'T DO IT, IF IT'S A MEDIOCRE TY THAN IT'S PROBABLY NOT WORTH IT. IF YOU HAVE REASON TO THINK YOU'D ENJOY IT, GET A LOT OUT OF IT OR THAT YOU'RE NOT READY FOR FIFTH YEAR THEN DO IT!

;_;

• Advertisement

You all fail miserably. 'nuff of the caps locks in my forum.

/power trip.

BANNAGE!!!!111ONEONE

Advertisement