Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales get done

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ponster wrote:
    Well not exactly, one doesn't mean the other though it may seem like it does but

How so? My understanding of law 5.7 is that is exactly what it means. If they had time to put the ball in touch from the pen a lineout is automatically awarded once the ball leaves the field of play.

(e) If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or
    lineout has not been completed the referee allows play to continue
    until the next time that the ball becomes dead. If time expires and
    a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows
    play to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oasisfan

i presume that CW knew when JHook asked if there was time for a kick to touch that he intended for their follow up lineout to be taken They should have been allowed take the lineout its as simple as that and i hope that clown of a ref is talked to by the branch as it is unexceptable he was not on form today and with technology in sports today there should have been no reason for yellow cards not to be shown and the time to be conducted properly.....its funny how people are trying to stick up for the ref he is in the wrong! Ah well im sure Wales are over it now, thats what rugby is about and they have to be able deal with desicions like these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Admirably Chris White has apologised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/6439245.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

White said there was 10 seconds left when there was actually 4 seconds left. Therefore he misled Hook.

If there really was 10 seconds left, Hook completed the kick in time.

As there was only 4 seconds left, Hook ended the game by kicking into touch.

Warren tells White that time is up and White blows up.

In the interest of fairness he should have done one of 2 things: (1) allowed the lineout to be taken or (2) allowed the kick to be taken.

I don't think he would have had the right to bring back for the kick as the kick had not been selected.

At €20K per man, the kick was an expensive one !

It's unfortunate but now over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Actually, didn't the Irish came expire on a Scottish penalty? I thought that was a bit odd.

• Advertisement

Marshy wrote:
    Admirably Chris White has apologised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/6439245.stm

can't believed they pinched my post on the rule!

Fair dues to him for apologising at least.

Sangre wrote:
    Actually, didn't the Irish came expire on a Scottish penalty? I thought that was a bit odd.

didn't we have the ball, i don't think it was a penalty to them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sangre wrote:

The irish game was stopped after 80 minutes because of the injury to ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Watched the bit on it during the half time of today's game. Doesn't sound like it was Chris White's fault at all. The 4th official told Chris White there was 10 seconds left, he told him there would be time for the line out (note Hook and subsequently White did actually ask if there was time for a lineout, not just a penalty) and then he told him to blow up cos there was not time left.

I'm not sure of the rules, if White has to follow what the 4th official said and blow the whistle. Common sense would have told him to allow the lineout... but in the end it sounds like it was mostly the 4th official's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Watched the bit on it during the half time of today's game. Doesn't sound like it was Chris White's fault at all. The 4th official told Chris White there was 10 seconds left, he told him there would be time for the line out (note Hook and subsequently White did actually ask if there was time for a lineout, not just a penalty) and then he told him to blow up cos there was not time left.

I'm not sure of the rules, if White has to follow what the 4th official said and blow the whistle. Common sense would have told him to allow the lineout... but in the end it sounds like it was mostly the 4th official's fault.

White is the referee. He is the final arbiter and he should not be relying on anyone else. If he wanted to play another hour then he would be quite entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

He did you know. It may be just BBCs attempt to match the official time but the TMO is in their truck running the time off their equipment too. They played it again on the BBC today with the reftalk sound turned up and the TMO called time up bang on the 80 mins according to the clock on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

daveym wrote:
    He did you know. It may be just BBCs attempt to match the official time but the TMO is in their truck running the time off their equipment too. They played it again on the BBC today with the reftalk sound turned up and the TMO called time up bang on the 80 mins according to the clock on the screen.
    Yeah that snipped on the BBC was good with the reftalk turned up, White asked the TMO once the ball was dead if there was time for the lineout, the TMO kept repeating 'I've got TIME'

Actually I'm not sure, I'd like to see that BBC bit again, from watching it, it seemed like White bottled the decision twice, first for the decision on the penalty options, and on the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

RuggieBear wrote:
    White is the referee. He is the final arbiter and he should not be relying on anyone else. If he wanted to play another hour then he would be quite entitled to.

I thought that since last year the timing was no longer controlled by the ref. He gets told when to end the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Ponster wrote:
    I thought that since last year the timing was no longer controlled by the ref. He gets told when to end the match?

That's a new one on me....suppose it makes sense as he should have loads to look after as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To not take the three points was not only stupid but disrespectful to Italy. If that was against France they would have opted to take the three points in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randomname2005

RuggieBear wrote:
    That's a new one on me....suppose it makes sense as he should have loads to look after as it is.

In high level matches the ref is no longer the sole judge of law and fact. If they were then there would be no need for video refs and time keepers.

R

To not take the three points was not only stupid but disrespectful to Italy. If that was against France they would have opted to take the three points in my opinion.

Not really. At this stage of the tournament they may as well have thrown caution to the wind and gone for a win. Remember they have yet to win a match this 6 nations. They figured their best chance would be against Italy.

Would you expect Ireland to settle for a draw with Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not really. At this stage of the tournament they may as well have thrown caution to the wind and gone for a win. Remember they have yet to win a match this 6 nations. They figured their best chance would be against Italy.

Would you expect Ireland to settle for a draw with Italy?

A draw when it's on offer is better than losing all of your matches. For most of the second half Wales couldn't breach Italy's defence. It's time Italy are given credit for their performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

They did well to get the win but it was a weak Wales, Scotland didn't help themselves at all.

Previous to that France hammered them and England controlled the game but couldn't get the tries.

The game this weekend will give a better picture of where Italy are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I dont think so. If italy had a full team and hadnt alreayd avoided the WS then i would say they it would give a better picture of where they are.

Also, that Ireland just barely managed to beat an even weaker welsh side in the first game.

Advertisement