Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite songwriter and why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Would have to be Sarah McLachlan,her stuff is brilliant. And i dont mean Angel its a great song but imo not her best. Fumbling Towards Ecstacy album is amazing.

Would be partial to some Neil Finn myself!!!!!!! Into Temptation is a great track!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭cufroige

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Would have to be Sarah McLachlan,her stuff is brilliant. And i dont mean Angel its a great song but imo not her best. Fumbling Towards Ecstacy album is amazing.

Ditto!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

Tori Amos
    Kate Bush

After that it's really only a hand-ful of songs by each singer that I like.

Good songwriters with bands - Neil Finn, Michael Stipe, Damon Albarn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Mark Kozelek and Matt Berninger (of The National).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

don mescal would be up there anyway but thats quite the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Declan O Rourke people! Cant believe no one mentioned him yet. He is an unbelievable poet...
    If you do one thing today, buy Since Kyabram and listen to Marrying the Sea. Thank me later. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thinerlizzy

Bono is the greatest song writer of all time... his lyrics are absolutely amazing and he will always be an inspiration to millions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Eddie Vedder are the ones that come to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Bono is the greatest song writer of all time... his lyrics are absolutely amazing and he will always be an inspiration to millions!

worst forst post ever hahaha:p:p:p:pjust kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 flav

John Darnielle, David Berman, Bill Calahan, Thurston Moore

im gone all americano underground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

Thom Yorke--Emotive,Grungy,Satiric,Observant and Honest. An absolute genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Right now, Julia Nunes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jaaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭the hero game

DAMIEN JURADO
    his songs are simply astonishing & he has a great voice
    check out secretlycanadian.com for free mp3s, try 'what were the chances' to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

nah...I dont agree. He is good but hardly the greatest.

I would put Morrissey ahead of him and Eminem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Robert Forster & Grant McLennan (The Go-Betweens) - writers of so many perfectly crafted songs

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

JOSHUA RADIN

www.joshuaradin.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elliott Smith without a question and amongst the still living - Jeff Tweedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

John Lennon had it all.

Lyrics,Melody,Originality,Consistency...

Overall nobody else comes close imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 melahide

My favorite Songwriter was, is and always will be... Brian Wilson! He is well known for his work in the 1960... he wrote songs, arranged them and produced them... and he used chords which are hardly to find in any other pop song...

I love his melodies and his music... I can´t say anymore about it... it´s just love.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

my favourites are Jimmy mac'Carthy ('Ride On' 'No Frontiers ''The Contender' etc.,) , surprised no one has mentioned him ..
    also Emily Saliers -(from the Indigo Girls )
    and Nick Cave

• Advertisement

Recently I've taken a liking to Tom Waits, and Leonard Cohen :) Great lyrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

Honestly I'd have to say me.

Seriously, I have been writing for years and some of my songs have made complete strangers cry. I just have a natural way with words and can wrap them in a melody very quickly

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I have a gift from God and I want to use it in the best way I can and touch as many hearts in this world as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

igotone wrote: »
    Honestly I'd have to say me.

Seriously, I have been writing for years and some of my songs have made complete strangers cry. I just have a natural way with words and can wrap them in a melody very quickly

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I have a gift from God and I want to use it in the best way I can and touch as many hearts in this world as possible.

lets hear some so...

Maccattack wrote: »
    lets hear some so...

Have a look back at the Songwriting forum, I've posted a few there recently

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

igotone wrote: »
    Have a look back at the Songwriting forum, I've posted a few there recently

No music posted with those lyrics, unless I'm mistaken. So your statement about your ability is a little out there.

It's a better thread if there's some sort of reference point, something more tangible than lyrics to two songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Knon

Almost completely forgotten, her songs are amazing: Jesus was a crossmaker, The Phoenix, There's a rugged road, The Vigilante.

If one of these songs got in a famous ad or film, we'd all know about her.

Also the guy who wrote 'In the rare oul' times'. What a great song that is! Gonna look up his wiki page.

humberklog wrote: »
    No music posted with those lyrics, unless I'm mistaken. So your statement about your ability is a little out there.

It's a better thread if there's some sort of reference point, something more tangible than lyrics to two songs.

Yep, you're right, I'm keeping pretty much in line with all others who post songs here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I think Dylan is the main one, he's sort of the origin of many songwriters afterwards such as my other favourite, Lennon. My respect for Bono as a song writer has slowly been peeled away throughout the years, but at his Actung Baby prime, he was hard to touch. I think those 3 form the bedrock of what I like to listen to with regards to lyricists.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

It's so hard to pick just one when there are so many of them out there.

Clayton Stroope
    Billie Joe Armstrong
    J'Lostein
    Chris Hendricks
    Danny O'Donoghue

• Advertisement

Can't believe I neglected to mention Paul Simon :eek:

He's one of my favourites of all time

Advertisement