Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your head will collapse, and when there's nothing in it, you'll ask yourself...

Options
  • 04-03-2007 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

...where is my mind

AKA PIXIES DISCUSSION THREAD

so i've been listening to these guys for about a year now, and i'm very quickly starting to believe they may be one of the greatest bands ever. imo, NONE of their 4 albums are bad, at least, not by today's standards. i don't know WHY they didn't break the mainstream when they were first active, and i really hope they release something new. i've missed out on their tour in 2004, when i honestly have never heard of them.

please bring up something else cause i'm running out of things to tell you pretty fast.

also kim deal was a total shag in the early 90s [/hard on]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭acidhappy

<snip>

I was always under the impression that they had a big following on this side of the atlantic..... afaik they split up cause they were ignored in America....

Joey Santiago is a legend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Kim deal was/in (not sure if they're together still) a great band called the Breeders.. Last Splash is one of the albums, is great! Should check out.
    Pixies were great alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

i'm trying to get the breeders' "pod" but filesharing is forbidden here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

They are my favourite band anyways...The Breeders are releasing a new album this year if rumours are to be believed...And Hopefully the pixies will too. They were pretty big over here in the late 80's early 90's..they supported U2 on their zoo tv tour ..i think that was the one anyways.
    Joey Santiago has a band with his wife called the martinis their last album was pretty good it's worth checking out.
    Frank Black has a load of solo albums all of them are pretty good but dog in the sand is probably my favourite of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Yeah can't go wrong with the Pixies. I don't know what happened to that new album they were supposed to be releasing about two years ago, I remember being pretty excited about that. <snip> Doolittle has to be one of my favourite albums ever.

I'm not a great fan of any of the non-Pixies/Pixies member stuff, however. Breeders are decent enough, but I could never really get into Frank Black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

<snip> I definitely missed their first coming(im 17) but they're still one of my favourite bands. Probably number one actually. I really hope they play here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Rock me Joe.

I'm not a great fan of any of the non-Pixies/Pixies member stuff, however. Breeders are decent enough, but I could never really get into Frank Black.

Yea most of his stuff is very different to the pixies stuff but every now and then he comes up with some great songs like massif centrale. I'd love to hear the pixies doing some versions of his solo stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm a huge Pixies fan, <snip>

I'm kinda apprehensive about a new album though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I'm a huge Pixies fan, <snip>

I'm kinda apprehensive about a new album though.
    Same as that. I think after so many years they can't expect to be the same or to have the same oomph/enthusiasm/energy/vibe/attitude... which is what I think they were about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

In all fairness, Frank Black isn't half the man he used to be (he's twice the man, arf :D)

Jokes aside, Pixies are fantastic. <snip> Kim Deal practically taught me how to play bass (though that said I'm far beyond the level of bass playing in most Pixies songs).

Did anyone catch Frank Black in Tower in 2003? He did a few Pixies covers, I think the only ones I can remember are 'Cactus' and 'Velouria' though. He played to an absolutely packed shop (I could hardly even see him) and then stayed for a signing session. Nice guy though pretty introverted, wouldn't say a word to people once he went outside and generally kind of ignored everyone.

Also, apparently the Pixies reunion was just for the money. I think that's why they chose the double entendre "Sellout Tour" title. But I have heard the rumours of a new album and if it does come out, I will excitedly check it out.

cut frank some slack, like you said the room was full to the brim, and he did a good set, and was tired, and probably just wanted to get home.
    i just downloaded purple tape, come on pilgrim, complete b-sides and live at the bbc to complete my collection.

and "hey" is about prostitutes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

<snip>

Obviously a great band. Don't listen to their stuff that often now cos it was all I really listened to in college.
    Bossanova is a great album I think (as are the rest!).

I think a new pixies album even if it was bad would be a lot better them some of the stuff bands release these days ( i'm not as old as i sound).
    But anyway i think they aren't gonna make a new album...but it looks like Black Francis is making a come back and Frank is gonna make a pixies like rock album all by his lonesome ..well there will be other non pixie folk playing on it and i'd expect him to tour it.

cut frank some slack, like you said the room was full to the brim, and he did a good set, and was tired, and probably just wanted to get home.

and "hey" is about prostitutes. :)

of course! I'm not saying I think it was unwarranted, I was more commenting on it. If I was a man of his stature (no pun intended ;)) I'd probably be glad to get out of the spotlight, especially after so many people being in there.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Pixies are an MCD-promoted band so please don't discuss any of their shows here. I was going to lock this thread but the world needs more Pixies so I just did an awful lot of editing. If anyone mentions an MCD event from here on they will be banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

John, dont want to mention any of their gigs, but I thought you could mention gigs pre-ban? If not, well, just Pixies talk now:

Great band, love 'em. Just so relaxing to listen to, without ever being overly-fancy. Also like some of the Breeders songs, havent quite tasted Franks solo stuff though.

i've heard that frank's solo stuff sounds only very remotely like pixies so i won't be searching for that stuff... kinda like billy corgan and james iha solo sound almost nothing like classic pumpkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nettranny

i've heard that frank's solo stuff sounds only very remotely like pixies so i won't be searching for that stuff... kinda like billy corgan and james iha solo sound almost nothing like classic pumpkins.

Billy corgan's solo stuff is still fantastic though. Still haven't bought james iha's stuff

Mushy wrote:
    John, dont want to mention any of their gigs, but I thought you could mention gigs pre-ban?

Where possible I want to keep Em See Dee off this forum until the legal side of things is fully cleared. We can all discuss the Pixies without mentioning any events with unpleasant associations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

personally I hope they don't make another album - it couldn't possibly match their old stuff and would only damage their legacy.

Frank's solo stuff is very hit-and-miss, I quite liked "Honeycomb" but it was basically country-rock, nothing like the Pixies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

John wrote:
    Where possible I want to keep Em See Dee off this forum until the legal side of things is fully cleared. We can all discuss the Pixies without mentioning any events with unpleasant associations

Ah Feicim(Irish word for 'I See')!

Im hoping the Pixies stay away from the studio too, their old stuff legendary, so lets keep the band image that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I don't know...I think I wouldn't mind hearing some new stuff....I enjoyed Bam Twok (iTunes only release from 2004...I think)

Did anyone pick up their latest live acoustic DVD?? Fantastic!! Like hearing the songs for the first time all over again!

Yea i liked bam thwok too... I wanna see a new pixies album..i don;t understand the mentality of people who think it will "damage their legacy" ...The old albums aren't going to get infected if they release a new album and it sucks...but in my opinion there hasn't been a bad pixies album yet so i'm not worried about them releasing a bad one now...but if it does suck then you can say "it's not as good as the old stuff" and " i told you so"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Mushy wrote:
    John, dont want to mention any of their gigs, but I thought you could mention gigs pre-ban?

That's my policy over on Gigs/Events but things might differ here and on other forums.

If I know it is a naughty gig, it goes.

As for the Pixies, I'd be interested to hear what they come up with. Black on his own has been patchy since the Pixies but as a group they might come up with something better. They've already reformed for the money, they don't need to worry anymore about spoiling their legacy!

bam thwok WAS marvellous, and i do want to hear more of it. catch
    nettranny wrote:
    Billy corgan's solo stuff is still fantastic though. Still haven't bought james iha's stuff
    don't bother

nettranny wrote:

I got the impression that he did very little in A Perfect Circle which led to me not having much of an opinion on him.

Here are some frank black videos for people that haven;t heard any of his solo stuff.

"I will run after you"
    [http://youtube.com/watch?v=rLe7-8WMGsg&mode=user&search=

" (Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar"
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ODofCw55N-s He wrote this as a pixies song apparently.

"cold heart of stone"
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ff6UsanP5E4

"California Bound"
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-bMNgtsWIiA Few a stone lighter now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

and i do want to hear more of it. catch

don't bother

james iha's album is fantastic in its own right.
    but anyone who thinks billy corgans solo album the future embrace is any good is out of their mind. noodly electronic rubbish, and this is coming from a die hard pumpkins fan. one of his gigs was the worst i ever went to. 60 minutes of a new album only people who downloaded could have listened to prior to the show.ladies and gentlemen the emperor is wearing no clothes.

going back on topic, the pixies were great, i used to listen to listen to the religiously, but then one day, i just grew out of them.no reason, i just did.

Advertisement