Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft to be discussed on Newstalk 106-108 on Wed 10pm-12midnight -- EMAIL THEM!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Slightly one sided don't you think? Especially considering he claimed he wanted to portray both sides of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

That's all she wrote boys and girls. They made some fair points about it too. I think the shop in Carlow does have a duty of care in selling airsoft weapons to children but parents also have a part in it. I think anyone who leaves a loaded weapon around the house with small kids about is being particularly irresponsible. Does anyone out there have the original story from the Carlow Nationalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Wow, they really gave us a chance to speak on behalf of the sport there.
    What a load of bolox.
    We need to get a Journo to an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Narrow minded is not the word. They spoke about lighters and Airsoft guns in the same breath.

Found the link everyone. I don't know where the reporter got the "lethal" part and the fact that the Gardaí are stating that you need a licence to own one. Here is the link for anyone interested: http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story.asp?j=31125&cat=news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭padmundo

Miscreant wrote:
    I think the shop in Carlow does have a duty of care in selling airsoft weapons to children

Agreed, they have done themselves no favours selling guns to children. They should have had a bit of cop on in that regard. Surely they'd have seen the repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm listening away, i'm recording the whole thing.

Did I mis-hear, did one of the panelists say something along the lines of "these things are illegal yet theyre all over the place"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anybody got a link to one of those sites that you can upload files to temporarily? And then you can give out the link for others to download from....

I've got the clip on my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

padmundo wrote:
    Agreed, they have done themselves no favours selling guns to children. They should have had a bit of cop on in that regard. Surely they'd have seen the repercussions.

I noted this in my email to them.
    "If a retailer sells equipment to children should it not be the retailer who should be spoken to. This is where we as a group want to see regulation.
    We don’t want every Tom Dick and Harry selling equipment to anybody who wanders in off the street. We want to see legitimate retailers as well as regulation on the purchasing of the equipment."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

That was an extremly biased discussion.
    No one on the panel had even seen an airsoft gun other than a picture in a paper or heard of them for that matter.
    We need to start a PR campaign of some sort and get some good publicity on our side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Please tell me someone got a podcast. Its very important. :mad:

The article in question is quite the piece of sensationalist journalism. It's actually full of recondite information with no regard to the actual topic. This persons gripe seems to be with the shop itself rather than what it sells. I would entirely agree with him that the shop has a duty of care to sell it's wares to those who would use them responsibly but this has snowballed into a platform upon which airsoft has been taken to be pilloried.

He just read out my txt and i was speaking to the girl on the phones about inviting him to a meet to se first hand what its all about.

Hmm, I was right.

Good man Alan whoever you are, that dude did say they were illegal.
    And hurling should be banned! :P

I'm listening away, i'm recording the whole thing.

Did I mis-hear, did one of the panelists say something along the lines of "these things are illegal yet theyre all over the place"??

He did say that and i mentioned that in my txt

Good man Alan whoever you are,

Thats me.

I don't think people have any issue with airsoft at all, its more about airsoft guns ending up in the hands of children.

What we need are dedicated airsoft shops that only sell airsoft equipment and will only sell to 17 years or older, like in the UK.

Otherwise, there will be toy shops all over Ireland selling crappy springers that any kid can buy. There's no real way of stopping them though...

I just emailed this to the show.

This discussion on airsoft seems terribly biased but I see this as a fault of ignorance to the facts. The members of your panel you questioned on the topic had never even see an airsoft item before. One of the two (who's name now escapes me) wasn't even aware of the story. I fear that airsoft is being unfairly pilloried with an absence of facts and experience. I would urge you to take that invitation to experience it first hand so you may understand better how this sport works and how safe it is.

He did say that and i mentioned that in my txt

Good man Alan whoever you are,

Thats me.

Hee hee, its a small world. I sent them an email about airsoft too, addressing the fact that its the retailers fault etc and not the fault of a safe, fun up and coming sport.

I don't think you misheard. This is what happens when people are not informed as to the law or what is going on. It is always the same when something contraversial comes along. You will always have people commenting on something that they know nothing about. I remember watching the Late Late Show one night (yes I am that old!!) when they had the Irish Film Sensor (John Kelleher) on the show and he was talking about some films that were let through the sensor that time. One audience member gave out to him for letting one particular film through saying something along the lines that it was sacreligious (spelling??) and would corrupt the youth. The sensor gent then asked him had he seen the film and the guy replied "No". He was told in no uncertain terms that he should not then be commenting on something he knew nothing about. Just a short example but it is a parallel for this case. The last thing we need though is for someone to get hysterical and gather up support to have the thing banned here for good (with no chance of getting it back).
    The sooner we can get the IAA and a proper backbone together the better it will be for all of us. I suggest that perhaps we organise a meeting somewhere about it relatively soon so we can present a united front to any media organisation in the country because the next we will hear of this will be the RTE news otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here, you can download it here
    http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/96372/FM-2007-02-28-22h39m55s-wav.html

The quality is bad in places, dunno why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DaveMcG wrote:
    Here, you can download it here
    http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/96372/FM-2007-02-28-22h39m55s-wav.html

The quality is bad in places, dunno why.

Thanks Dave. Was off discussing the IAA with a couple of the lads. Didn't think it'd be on so early. Thank god someone had the mind to record it :)

Just downloaded it now. Might be able to convert it to MP3 for anyone who would like to have a copy.

I realise this might make me sound a bit thick but how do you down load it?

Master of the Universe

I realise this might make me sound a bit thick but how do you down load it?

Just click the link, go to the site, wait the 25 seconds and press "download now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Type in the 3 digits at the bottom of the page and hit enter.

o1s1n wrote:
    Thanks Dave. Was off discussing the IAA with a couple of the lads. Didn't think it'd be on so early. Thank god someone had the mind to record it :)

Would have came over to you for that only im in work at 6am.

Master of the Universe

This is so one sided. Who are these idiots on the panel?!

"These games they play, Doom, Horrible games.."

What the hell? Get some people on who are a little more in touch with modern times.

got it thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

o1s1n wrote:
    This is so one sided. Who are these idiots on the panel?!

"These games they play, Doom, Horrible games.."

What the hell? Get some people on who are a little more in touch with modern times.

That line annoyed me too. "you crazy kids with your disco dancing and your pacman video games" get in step with the time please :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I didnt hear that, if i did i wouldnt have been able to move of the floor after it as i'd still be pissing myself laughing

Advertisement