Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your 80's and 90's North East moments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Wow it's all coming back. More hangouts were The 21 Club and the Copper Lantern( i think that was the name of the café on Peter Street). My mate worked in The Four Lanterns for a while which was always handy. The Hot Pot is sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

andrew1977 wrote:
    there was another arcade across from the Abbey shopping centre... Gistys wasnt it ... (gisty the most famous doorman in drogheda used to own it i think )

God how much of my youth did i waste away:)

Ah Gisty! I remember him from The Boxing Club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

Ah Gisty. A true Gentleman.

A lot of story's went around about him, from what i heard he was the
    Chuck Norris of Drogheda, beating up and throwing out half a dozen guys at one time.
    But anytime i met him he had a smile on his face and always said hello, for such a small guy he earned a hell of respect around the town.
    (He could throw lads out of a club with a look).
    Maybe he just had a photographic memory and if you started anything you were barred for life. I remember friends being barred from places for years.

Maybe someone can tell some storys about why Gisty is a Legendary Drogheda bouncer.

Anyone know where he is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Ah Gisty. A true Gentleman.

A lot of story's went around about him, from what i heard he was the
    Chuck Norris of Drogheda, beating up and throwing out half a dozen guys at one time.
    But anytime i met him he had a smile on his face and always said hello, for such a small guy he earned a hell of respect around the town.
    (He could throw lads out of a club with a look).
    Maybe he just had a photographic memory and if you started anything you were barred for life. I remember friends being barred from places for years.

Maybe someone can tell some storys about why Gisty is a Legendary Drogheda bouncer.

Anyone know where he is now?

I havnt been in the Trinity arms pub in a couple of years but he was doorman there the last time i was in the place..Decent bloke but took no messing when you stepped out of line

Agreed about the Hot Pot being missed.. The wedges and chicken burgers have never been bettered in my years of sampling take away food.

Dingatron wrote:
    Wow it's all coming back. More hangouts were The 21 Club and the Copper Lantern( i think that was the name of the café on Peter Street). My mate worked in The Four Lanterns for a while which was always handy. The Hot Pot is sorely missed.

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote:
    I havnt been in the Trinity arms pub in a couple of years but he was doorman there the last time i was in the place..Decent bloke but took no messing when you stepped out of line

Drove by the Trinty two nights ago and I'm sure he was on the door. He is a gent. Always get at least a nod out of him if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The-Rigger wrote:
    lol, I worked in the Tunnel for a few weekends :D

I'm so sorry, sorry for your troubles. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

I can see the DI getting an article or two out of this thread.

I forgot about Callan's good spot for the pot of tea and an oul computer.:D

Gisty is still doin the door in the trinity afaik. He is a gentleman. He used to to do the door in Goodfellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Irjudge1 wrote:
    I can see the DI getting an article or two out of this thread.

I forgot about Callan's good spot for the pot of tea and an oul computer.:D

Gisty is still doin the door in the trinity afaik. He is a gentleman. He used to to do the door in Goodfellows.

I'm talking about Callans in the mid 80's! (I'm ancient!! ;) ) No computers back then... just a good spot for a "pose" and a very fine almond slice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

What about.. in Dundalk.. The Arc!1 ( or tivoli's) .. Caesars ?? Jaysus.. bottles of woodys and a quick grope in the carpark, The good old days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Have to say the Gisty lad is a gent. What about the big geezer who used to do Bridie Mac's ...the weightlifter...is he still on the go?
    i need a well deserved night out again on the lash .

Liam whatisname He still lifting weights anyway but don't know if he is doorman anymore

Irjudge1 wrote:
    Liam whatisname He still lifting weights anyway but don't know if he is doorman anymore

Liam o keefe ..thats the fella....is he still doing the weights ? He is on the doors of Drogheda a long long time now ...there must be people helping him lift the weights at this stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

Dingatron wrote:

Copper kettle...remember it well. Yes the hot pot is sorely missed but just how many times did it go on fire anyway.lol.
    Insurance must have been astronomical

Anyone remember Joe Thomas's shop in shop st., wud spend ages in it looking at all the stuff

And of course, the sound shop at the bottom of Laurence st.
    They used to open at 12 the night before a new U2 album was being released, but u cud only get it on vinyl that nite.
    U wud have to wait til 9.30 to get tape or cd.

Holy ****! Joe thomas' I completely forgot about that place. It was full of crap but it was brilliant Loved goin in there for halloween stuff and those little parachute men on the end of little plastic parachutes.:D

Ah I remember Thomas's. Every January a trip in to spend the few quid we got for christmas and I mean 'few'. Reynolds sweet shop in Mary St? Single ciggies for all the kids on the way to school lol! :)

Anyone from Drogheda remember "Jonno Mc Cabes " sweet shop across the road from the old cattle market.
    What a haven for spending the pocket money on teeth jangling sweets,jonno always seemed to the willy wonka sweet factory of drogheda ,apple drops, rhubard and custard, batman cards..Anything in the confectionery game ..jonno had it .Ah those were the days ..straight down from the christian brothers school in sundays gate and blow the 1 pound a week pocket money in an instant !!

Advertisement