Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats so good about the Nokia N95

Options
  • 22-02-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

I have saw prices for this phone around the 1000 mark.Whats so good about it.The only thing i have really saw different is the dual slidind and the 5MP camera.To be honest I think the iPhone looks better and it will probably be cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The iPhone is currently over 500$ when you sign a 2 year contract with Cingular. No european prices have been named. The N95 is a lot closer to 600euro than 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

and that "slight" advantage of gps!
    iphone looks better but THAT will be 1000 when its simfree< as chrislad says it will be around 600yoyos..which ain't to bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

600 could be the price befoe Tax though

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

its RRP is €550 from Nokia. It looks like they are going to
    be in short supply initially and that will drive the price to 800-900 for
    the first month or so.

It's a nice design, has nice video and camera features, nice mp3 features, and built in GPS. A lot of it's features no current european phone has so there is a big demand.

The iphone is a nice design with nice UI and crappy features, all style and no substance in my opinion. Who wants to look at email/web/maps etc on a 2G connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,068 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

from a quick look at the specs gps, wifi, hi-res camera, 640x480 30fps video, mp3 player, good res screen, only 21mm thick, only 120g(tiny bit heavy but for the features very good)

n95 looks great on paper, iphone won't be out for ages, is too big imo, and no memory cards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

for me the big things on it are the 5mp camera and the GPS.

That's while I'll be getting one asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭event

upgradable memory, changeable battery, 5MP camera, Wi-fi, GPS, ability to run different programs not made by just nokia

the iPhone will be a fad

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

bluetooth,symbian software, firmware upgradeable at home. the price is gonna hurt too much though for a few months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

event wrote:
    the iPhone will be a fad

I look forward to quoting you that back in a years time!!

eolhc wrote:
    from a quick look at the specs gps, wifi, hi-res camera, 640x480 30fps video, mp3 player, good res screen, only 21mm thick, only 120g(tiny bit heavy but for the features very good)

n95 looks great on paper, iphone won't be out for ages, is too big imo, and no memory cards
    I think the N95 is bigger in thickness.The N95 wont last.Nokia will bring out a N96 in a years time which will hace a 6MP camera and better features.Apple will probably do the same but with Apple products it doesnt matter if its old or new they are still great products.The N95 is a mobile and mobiles get old quick because something new and better comes out almost every month.The iPhone isnt just a mobile.It is also an iPod with revolutionary technology built into it like the multi-touch screen.The iPhone wont get old quick because it has almost everything you want.The only way it can improve is 3G and mabe bigger memory but these arent big things.What Nokia are doing with the N95 any company can do but what Apple are doing with the iPhine only Apple can do.

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote:
    I think the N95 is bigger in thickness.The N95 wont last.Nokia will bring out a N96 in a years time which will hace a 6MP camera and better features.Apple will probably do the same but with Apple products it doesnt matter if its old or new they are still great products.The N95 is a mobile and mobiles get old quick because something new and better comes out almost every month.The iPhone isnt just a mobile.It is also an iPod with revolutionary technology built into it like the multi-touch screen.The iPhone wont get old quick because it has almost everything you want.The only way it can improve is 3G and mabe bigger memory but these arent big things.What Nokia are doing with the N95 any company can do but what Apple are doing with the iPhine only Apple can do.

:eek:
    revolutionary me arse. They copied most of it off LG. I haven't seen one revolutionary feature on the thing. 3G isn't a big thing? crappy camera isn't a big thing? the iphone has feck all, its already out of date and it's not due out for ages. it's all style and no substance. It won't get old quick? It won't have to, when the battery goes you will have to buy a new phone!

Your logic doesn't make any sense, anyone can do what nokia can do? How come apple couldn't then?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

The N95 wipes the floor with the iPhone. I'll give the iPhone credit for its UI, the touchscreen is very cool. But on spec vs. spec the iPhone doesnt compare.

You say that the N95 will be replaced by the next model (whatever that might be) and so will the iPhone with newer versions, the difference is the iPhone will need many version upgrades to compare to the specs of the current/soon to be released N95.

daveym wrote:
    :eek:
    revolutionary me arse. They copied most of it off LG. I haven't seen one revolutionary feature on the thing. 3G isn't a big thing? crappy camera isn't a big thing? the iphone has feck all, its already out of date and it's not due out for ages. it's all style and no substance. It won't get old quick? It won't have to, when the battery goes you will have to buy a new phone!

Your logic doesn't make any sense, anyone can do what nokia can do? How come apple couldn't then?

And what is so revolutionary about the N95.With the iPhone you have the multi-touch,when you turn the iPhone horizontal the scrren turns landscape,Google maps,when you get a call on the iPhone the screen turns off and the way you can zoom in and out of photos with your fingers.Also 4GB built in memory.This is all revolutionary.I am also sure(thogh not 100%) that LG hadnt shown off the Prada phones interface before the announcement of the iPhone.
    If the N95 and the iPhone came out in Ireland at the same time and same price what would sell more.A slick phone with many features made from a very reliable brand that has billions of loyal users or a phone that has 5MP camera and the odd 1 or 2 features.
    As much as I like Nokia,I think the iPhone is better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Plus heard a rumour that it will support X-Series..

Slingbox.. nice...

Dman001 wrote:
    And what is so revolutionary about the N95.With the iPhone you have the multi-touch,when you turn the iPhone horizontal the scrren turns landscape,Google maps,when you get a call on the iPhone the screen turns off and the way you can zoom in and out of photos with your fingers.Also 4GB built in memory.This is all revolutionary.I am also sure(thogh not 100%) that LG hadnt shown off the Prada phones interface before the announcement of the iPhone.
    If the N95 and the iPhone came out in Ireland at the same time and same price what would sell more.A slick phone with many features made from a very reliable brand that has billions of loyal users or a phone that has 5MP camera and the odd 1 or 2 features.
    As much as I like Nokia,I think the iPhone is better

LG won a design award for their phone 5 months before the iphone was even announced. I never said the n95 was revolutionary, i'd never use meaningless marketing speak like that. You list some nice features, what exactly makes them revolutionary? apple aren't even going to be the first to have most of them available. built in memory and google maps are revolutionary?! please pull the other one. all the features you list are just nice UI stuff which appple are good at, anything difficult technically they aren't.
    apple isn't exactly well know as a reliable brand never mind 'very' reliable. anyone who has had a few ipods like myself will know that.

I would say the iphone would sell better, but then the best selling phones are never the ones with the best and latest features, they are the ones that look good. style over substance.

However by the time it comes out here it will probably been even further behind in features so maybe people will have some sense. Either than or apple will launch iphone 2G and change the dock connector so nothing is compatible between the 2, sound familiar?!

It seems though,that apple are the only ones changing the mobile.With Nokia and all the other companies its just the same mobile with a more Megapixil camera.Apple is changing how we use the mobile while other companies just change the look of a mobile and mabe a few features

Dman001 wrote:
    It seems though,that apple are the only ones changing the mobile.With Nokia and all the other companies its just the same mobile with a more Megapixil camera.Apple is changing how we use the mobile while other companies just change the look of a mobile and mabe a few features

not sure what that means, i don't see any features that will change how anyone uses their phone.

tbh I don't see Apple launching the iphone in europe or asia with current feature set. It is ok for the states where they are used to crappy phones but would look bad for them here. I'd say they will get 3G working and a decent camera to make it useable before a launch here. google maps on a 2G connection isn't going to give anyone a good user experience.

daveym wrote:
    not sure what that means, i don't see any features that will change how anyone uses their phone.

tbh I don't see Apple launching the iphone in europe or asia with current feature set. It is ok for the states where they are used to crappy phones but would look bad for them here. I'd say they will get 3G working and a decent camera to make it useable before a launch here. google maps on a 2G connection isn't going to give anyone a good user experience.
    What i meant was the User Interface.It is easy to use and it changes how we use the mobile.Like Jobs said in the keynote.Current smartphones are hard to use with their tiny qwerty keypad.But the iPhone will have an easy to use and simple qwerty keypad.
    Also not many will use 3g anyway.Mostly businessmen use 3g.But the iPhone appeals to teenagers to people mabe in their thirties.I know 3g would have been a nice feature but i dont know why so many people would want it

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

The N95 is UGLY, not going to be getting either any time soon because prices are too high. Its good to see the bar being raised by Nokia and apple though. Both phones have their strengths, iphone definately has the wow factor!

Dman001 wrote:
    What i meant was the User Interface.It is easy to use and it changes how we use the mobile.Like Jobs said in the keynote.Current smartphones are hard to use with their tiny qwerty keypad.But the iPhone will have an easy to use and simple qwerty keypad.
    Also not many will use 3g anyway.Mostly businessmen use 3g.But the iPhone appeals to teenagers to people mabe in their thirties.I know 3g would have been a nice feature but i dont know why so many people would want it

we are never going to agree on this! most people use their thumb to txt and are good at it. can't do it on the iphone. samsung have a smartphone with qwerty and the touchscreen that could work. Iphone isn't a smartphone anyway, can't even open docs.

3G is used by people who want high speed internet, google maps is no good without it as it will take forever to load a webpage. reports from the demos were that it was very slow even on wifi. similarly their web interface is useless unless you are on wifi as the network speed is too low to use it, same with email via graphical sites. whats the use of qwerty when you have to wait forever to up or download your mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭event

enda1 wrote:
    I look forward to quoting you that back in a years time!!

belt away

the iPhone in its current format will not do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

the ipone is made for yanks, with less interest in 3g and camera phones than us europeans.

the N95 is a gadzillion times more advanced than the iphone, maybe a bit clunky but when you look at the spec it beats the iphone hands down.

if i was a betting man, i would say the next major advance in mobie phones would be a N95-esque phone with a tv tuner. give it a year:D

i think no one makes phones better than nokias......end of!

legs11 wrote:
    the ipone is made for yanks, with less interest in 3g and camera phones than us europeans.

the N95 is a gadzillion times more advanced than the iphone, maybe a bit clunky but when you look at the spec it beats the iphone hands down.

if i was a betting man, i would say the next major advance in mobie phones would be a N95-esque phone with a tv tuner. give it a year:D

there are already a few phones around with DVB-H tuners and trials going on including in Ireland.

eg this nokia:

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/56558.html

legs11 wrote:

I 100% disagree with that.No way is the N95 more advanced than the iPhone and no way would N95-esque phone be the next major advanced.Like I said before what Nokia are doing is just putting HSDPA and GPS in the one phone which any company can do.What Apple are doing is definitly the next major advanced in mobile phones

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dman001 wrote:
    I 100% disagree with that.No way is the N95 more advanced than the iPhone and no way would N95-esque phone be the next major advanced.Like I said before what Nokia are doing is just putting HSDPA and GPS in the one phone which any company can do.What Apple are doing is definitly the next major advanced in mobile phones
    how's that exactly? as far as i can see, the only thing it has that other phones don't is the touch screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

the htc kaiser due out in the next few months could give the iphone and nokia n95 a run for their money.

hardware wise the kaiser afaik will have everything the nokia n95 will have (gps, wifi, hsdpa, 400mhz processor etc) but will have a slider keyboard as well.

not sure about the resolution of the kaiser's camera though compared to the n95's 5mpx one.

depends on whether you prefer wm or nokia's os i suppose.

as for the iphone i just wonder would it be as expandable as wm or symbian in terms of adding apps (satnav, e-book readers, movie player software etc etc).

mkennedy wrote:
    the htc kaiser due out in the next few months could give the iphone and nokia n95 a run for their money.

hardware wise the kaiser afaik will have everything the nokia n95 will have (gps, wifi, hsdpa, 400mhz processor etc) but will have a slider keyboard as well.

not sure about the resolution of the kaiser's camera though compared to the n95's 5mpx one.

depends on whether you prefer wm or nokia's os i suppose.

as for the iphone i just wonder would it be as expandable as wm or symbian in terms of adding apps (satnav, e-book readers, movie player software etc etc).

didn't think the HTC was going to have GPS or a camera although it's spec seems to change day by day! it seems more of a pda with phone features. can't see it giving either much competition, even if it is available here unlike a lot of their stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

i'm fairly certain the kaiser will have gps.
    basically it'll be like a thinner tytn with gps which surely will be quite desirable to some people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The iPhone is only available in the US, and the US radio spectrum is packed, so they dont have the same frequency bands available as we do in europe. This means that 90% of mobile phones use 1900, with some using 800 and others using 850. UMTS uses 2100 and 1900 everywhere except the US, and parts of Australia. The US recently freed up parts of 2100 and 1700 for UMTS, so networks can either use 2100/1900, or they can use 2100/1700 or both.

Since the iPhone only came out before this was finalised, it chose to support GSM and EDGE since this technology works everywhere in the world. That way, US iPhone users can use their phoones everywhere. Now, Apple may well sell the same ones here, but they may just as well replace EDGE with UMTS support for its European and Asian launches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The only techinical feature that the n95 lacks is the touch screen. To be bluntly obvious, having had a SE P910i, the thought of using a poxy touchscreen for everything, particularly text messages, is giving me cold sweats. Having had every gen series60 handset released, I am pretty confident that I will be more than content with the n95.

A massive factor for is that Apple are locking down the OS whereas anyone and everyone can develop for the Symbian OS.

Regarding cost, you are comparing the subsidised $500 iPhone on Cingular to the non subsidised n95. When the n95 is released on a network here, it will probably retail at close to €400.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement