Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics for leaving

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Hmm hoping I'm not butting in on a big argument here...so here's my 2 cents:

LC physics is a great subject. They've dumbed down the exam in recent years so that more people will do it...however, not everybody has realised this and still percieves it to be a tough subject, so there's not a huge uptake which can mean smaller classes as well as nicer exams!

You cover mechanics, heat, light, electricity, magnetism etc. and there is also an option q. for higher level students, I think it's either on particle physics (which is really interesting) or some other thing which I can't remember.

As long as you're getting above about a C1 in higher maths, you won't have too much trouble with LC physics. Maths was never my strongest and I got a B2 at higher level in my LC, but I got an A1 in physics. If you are any way good at visualising concepts in your head, the maths will often make sense logically (and often with a bit of hard work too!) if you can apply them to an actual physical concept which you understand.

With regards to the workload, yes this is a subject which requires a bit of effort and hard work because there's quite a bit of learning in it, eg, formulae, definitions, experiments, etc. and you may have to work hard at getting your head around some of the concepts. But it's a rewarding and challenging subject! Have a look at the exam papers www.examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Schlemm wrote:
    I think it's either on particle physics (which is really interesting) or some other thing which I can't remember.

Other option is Further Electronics (Transformers, Further Induction, Further Electromagnetism etc.) and idd, the particles option is so much more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Other option is Further Electronics (Transformers, Further Induction, Further Electromagnetism etc.) and idd, the particles option is so much more interesting.
    and easier :D:D unfortunately our teacher is obsessed with electricity,so even though a few of us do the particle option we're still forced onto studying it for revision tests....:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

lemansky wrote:
    and easier :D:D unfortunately our teacher is obsessed with electricity,so even though a few of us do the particle option we're still forced onto studying it for revision tests....:mad:

Boo Hoo, tests make you all better learners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

do physics if you want to be a physicist something to do with space, electronics or such, engineering.

Also none of the maths involved is beyond what OL LC maths covers (lets face it if you are doing hons physics you prolly sholdnt be doing foundation maths)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You need maths understanding in order to do physics. I'm not saying that the maths side of it is traumatic but to say that it's an excercise in number crunching is misleading.

You're making the mistake of not defining what level of maths is used here. The vague phrase "maths understanding" means very little and I think this is where you and other people are disagreeing. If a person can competently rearrange (simple) algebraic formulae and calculate their answers then they'll probably do fine in LC physics and these are pretty fundamental skills learnt at JC level by most people.

Honours LC maths (unless it's gotten a hell of a lot simpler in the past few years) requires a much broader range of mathematical abilities which is why you need to be more precise in your statements in that I could use the exact same statement you used to describe the gap between LC physics and the maths required in a physics degree and I think we'd agree that the two are very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You dont need to be great at maths to do physics.
    You could easily do pass maths and honors physics.

But if you are a great maths student then physics will be very good for you, on one hand because of the maths involved, but also because of the fact that students that excel at maths do so because of the way they think, this thinking also makes physics easier to understand, nothing to do with maths, but the lateral thinking ability means that theory is understood easier.

but a poor maths student might have difficulty with some of te theory, not because of the maths involved, becauseing of the thinking. They could still pass the subject, but might be happier in a different subject.

People who were good at maths, in school were often good at engineering, physics, tech drawing (there is no maths there, just thinking that is similar), its how they work.

I knew people who were very bad at maths, but got good leaving certs because they were excellant at art, music and english

you can do any subject and get an A, but find the one thats best for you and you get the most As you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

From my experience physics isn't quite the normal LC subject. If you can sit down and understand the concepts that they're talking about then the whole subject will just sorta flow. Of course this understanding isn't everyone's thing. WRT to the maths I gotta agree with the people who say it isn't *too* taxing. And even if you do find it kinda hard it doesn't take up all the course.
    That said, you would want a solid basic grip of maths.

(Also, apologies; I know this might be a little late; but I've been looking for somewhere to use this macro for SOO long)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

It's quite simple, you learn definitions, then you understand the relations, you see it in the experiments.
    In the maths questions, you just need to understand the relations and you'll intuitively pick up the formulae with minimal(possibly non) study, you make sure you use all the information given to you and if the answer looks plausible, then it's correct.
    In fairness they make the questions very straightforward.

Advertisement