Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountains climbed?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Just thinking about the top 20 mountains thread., and i am just wondering what mountains have you climbed, and your favourite climb.

My limited climbs:
    Carrauntuohil
    Brandon
    Bautregaum
    Beenkeragh
    Torc
    Snowdon being my only foreign mt. (A few other Welsh ones i cant rember as well)

I reckon Brandon was my favourite. Climbed it a few times, but one memorable day when there was a deep covering of snow, and it took on a whole new image.

Nearly all these were done when i was in the scouts, but i am getting back into it and hope to do few more foreign trips abroad

I guess they pale in comparison to the rest of ye

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

only starting myself.

This year so far.. Helvelyn 900m and pavey arc 700m in the lake district in North Egland

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lugnaquilla, twice... Does Djouce (3 times) count? :) Also did some climbing in the Galtees.. Would love to do more, but don't really get the chance..

Hoping to do the four peaks challenge in June, but will need to put a team and money together beforehand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 delboy2

just read this post. would like to do the 4 peaks so if you are trying to put a team together I would be interested in joining

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Irish Traveling

Myself and two friends completed the 4 peaks on our own the weekend before last, it's a nice challenge.

I climbe in the Galtee Mountains and down in Kerry a fair bit.

I have also climbed a good bit overseas, including Scotland, Russia, Africa, Mongolia, China and Tibet.

I'd love to hear where others have climbed.

For the last number of months we have being trying to organize a trip for this coming June, July and August. We are now in the process of planning an overland trip to Dakar in West Africa while hopefully climbing the highest mountain in each country we pass through. I love to hear from anyone who has done any of this route before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

delboy2 wrote:
    just read this post. would like to do the 4 peaks so if you are trying to put a team together I would be interested in joining

done it last year with 3 mates, great weekend, you'll have a ball. Can't make it this year. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

caher last week.
    the Papps few weeks before
    ??? gap of dunloe on rhs leaving from kate kearneys cottage ( name slips my mind)

Where would others recommend in munster I am new enough to it...would like a few to bring other friends who never walked but would be of good fitness..

climbed mount erigal in donegal on sunday. 2500 ft approx

very boggy to start with and a steep scree towards the summit.

Well worth the climb and a beautifull view.

I did Blencarthra in The English Lake District last staurday. Nice scramble at the top,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

If it was mountains 'almost climbed' I'd have a hell of a long list :D

I climbed Skiddaw in the lake district ( uk ) yesterday. 3,054 feet

In heavy cloud, visibility only about 10 feet in each direction. Very high winds, Ice particles forming on my jacket:D

The top of skiddaw is like a large pile of black slate.

I will have to return to climb this again in better weather, approaching from skiddaw forest the next time to include a forest walk with the climb, also I will climb Skiddaw little man as well, weather was too bad to keep going the extra mile on this one.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Covenline wrote:
    only starting myself.

This year so far.. Helvelyn 900m and pavey arc 700m in the lake district in North Egland
    did you go up jacks rake ? on pavey ark classic scramble i did it about 20+ years ago fantastic pulled someone up who'd got scared as well
    http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes5.htm
    climbed a lot of stuff in the lakes, peak, north wales and most of donegal peaks (live here now)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Most recent for myself would be. Slieve Binnian 747m, Slieve Lamagan 704m via F.M. (V. Diff but we took the V.S. finish).

Yesterday I was on the slopes around Mall Hill. Mostly just a reccie to check out the climbing but it we *discovered* a waterfall in amoungst the trees which was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Cime du Mercantour 2772m
    Cime du Gelas 3143m
    Brec d'Utelle 1597m
    Cime de Roccassièra 1501m
    Huayna Potosi 6088m
    in the last year. All of these are more hikes/scrambles but I plan to get a few "real" climbs in this summer. (as you probably guessed I don't live in Ireland at the moment ;) )

did you go up jacks rake ? on pavey ark classic scramble i did it about 20+ years ago fantastic pulled someone up who'd got scared as well
    http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes5.htm
    climbed a lot of stuff in the lakes, peak, north wales and most of donegal peaks (live here now)

Yeah we did jacks Rake, Climbs like a ladder but therea re some hairy bits on it where you have to jump across a lethal drop.:D

Did Crinkle Crags and attempted Bow fell this weekend, Problem was like skiddaw there was a black cloud sitting on the top of the range, got lost and walked around like headless chickens for 2 hours trying to find a way down Our OS map became meanlingness after awhile. getting lashed by hail and wind, our "waterpoofs" got soaked throughand just as we resigned ourselves to staying the night up there we found a path down into a valley below.

Just goes to show how easy it is to get lost in bad weather

Great day out all the same.

Last weekend climbed Scafell pike and scafell.

Did Lords rake on Scafell, got hit by a falling rock, allmost crushed my finger.

Scafell is a far more interesting and dangerous mountain than scafell pike even though Scafell Pike is the highest peakin England.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Reeks, Comeraghs, Galtees, Mourne Mts, Sperrins, Wicklow-haven't done any foreign ones though.

Last weekend, Snowdon in Wales, was a big one although a disapointing summit, lots of hungry seagulls, midgets, a buliding site and about 100 hill walkers having lunch.

Once I summit Ben nevis in July, its obscure outof the way mountains in future. Too many people on the popular ones.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did Blackstairs and Mount Leinster at the weekend .. glorious weather, and only two other walkers on the whole (21+km) walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Climbed my 1st mountain last saturday. Carrauntoohill, up the Devils Ladder. Fairly tricky at times but most of my problems were down to poor footwear and pints from the night before. 5 hours roundtrip, beautiful scenery too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 numpty999

hi all just found this board so thought i would join.

I have climbed Ben Nevis, Snowden, Scafell and Helvelyn both as a kid and an adult. Last three years I have dragged the wife and kids up them.
    we are coming to Ireland this summer and I want to climb Carrauntuohil, has anyone here got any tips for the best way up and where to start. What sort of times are we looking at. I am staying in Tralee and would appreciate any help for the best way to go and park etc.

Thanks in advance for any help Mike :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Hi all - I've just discovered this Outdoor Pursuits sub-forum.

I have climbed many different mountains within Co. Wicklow, but I always have a soft spot for the ones centred around Glendalough like Spink and Camanderry. I also particularly enjoy the ones around Glenmalure.

Lug Na Coille can be a good challenge especially if you start from Fenton's pub - near Donard.

I climbed Carrauntuohil 11 years ago. It was great at the time, but I need to do it again now to remember. Maybe by the Devil's Ladder this time.

I climbed Mount Snowdon twice. The first time was about 15 years ago! The second time was this Easter and it was brilliant. I was part of a group whoch did it via the ridge known as Crip Goch. I loved that bit - stretching with your hands and legs! I also have great memories of doing Ben Nevis last year on the May Bank Holiday weekend. Weather conditions were great.

Favourite walk in Ireland so far this year has to be the Blackstairs Challenge in mid-May. This was organised by the Wayfarers. The walk itself was great, taking in all the features of the Blackstairs Mountains, such as Mount Leinster, Blackrock Mountain and Blackstair Mountain. The weather conditions were perfect.

Last week I climbed ben nevis via the tourist route.

Also went to Ilse of skye and climbed Sgurr alaisdair via the great stone chute.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

climbed innumerable mountains about Wicklow, mainly about Glenmalure but alsoi the Croghaun's ( Kinsella amd Moira, camped at the summit of Croughan Kinsella several times when a lad)

Been Up Carrauntuthail a few times, went up Howling Ridge last time, class the ridges around the Hags glen are class, to Beenkeragh and back left from Devil's Ladder to Cruach Mor is a good stiff route.

I've to do Caher - probably do the coomloughra horseshoe to get all the 900ers done.

Did the 4 peaks thing a few years ago, wouldn't recomend it - travelling is too much- got cramps from sitting in the car.

Been to Chamonix a few times, only 4 Rebuffat points though

Been to the Cordillera Blanca in Peru, did a few 5000ers there.

Did Crib Goch, Slowdon Lliwed horseshoe - class

Did a bit in Scotland: Glencoe and about Ben Nevis.

Lads

if you get the chance, the Dolomite Mountains in northern italy are fantastic.Really beautiful, great food, nice refugios. Been there the last 3 years, mountains not high, 3,000m or so, but in my opinion the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 borrowed_tune

I have heard the Dolomites are great. Just back from mont blanc in France which is a tough slog but well worth it.
    Mournes and Wicklow are beautiful. I have climbed many of them. Carantouhill and Snowden. The GR20 in Corsica has some beautiful moutains in very wild and unspolit scenery. The whole interior of the island is a national park, remote and uninhabitated. Mwaelree in Mayo is apparently the most beautiful in Ireland but need clear day and caution is advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Am a bit disappointed at the mention of not liking to meet people when you climb!!!!

For me it is all part of the social aspect of it, along with the scenery (weather permitting) the challenge (esp when weather doesn't permit!!) and the general sense of achievement. Any I've done... there's been plenty of spots to resign to for moments of reflection & solitude... And isn't it great to see people out there trying once they are respecting the natural order as much as is possible given the nature of the thing...

I hike with a club where many of the members go out on their own on treks..... but... they also come along for the group treks too.... I myself do far fewer hikes with just a friend or two than I do in a group.... but to dismiss those simply because there are high numbers out there seems a shame, when u can do a mix of both...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Mount Kosciuszko of the Snowy Mountains in Australia, its highest peak - not much of a hill really at only 7300 ft, a stroll rather than a climb. I'm about to attempt Kilimanjaro in three weeks and will post the results in due course. Nervous but very excited! Reasonably fit, mid forties.

Loads around Wicklow, Kerry, Ben Lomond in Scotland.

Wish me luck!

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

all around the glenn of imaal, mostly on lobawn and lug. church mountain. nothing else in wicklow unless you count cycling up kippure
    galtee mór, mweelrea, croagh patrick
    didn't get to the top of mangerton due to injury
    didn't get to the top of slieve donard due to injury - did about half of the mourne wall tho.
    never been up carrauntoohil. walked a bit in french alps, but just to get to a cave enterance.

good luck with kilimanjaro hugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

On foot: Many runs up Three Rock Mountain in the Dublin Mountains, Carrauntuohil, Mournes, Errigal, also Croagh Patrick several times including during Gael Force West 6, last week. Abroad, Mount Kinabulu in Borneo (highest in SE Asia, 4100m) Been on many mountains skiing but haven't climbed up them, highest was Klein Matterhorn in the Alps above Zermatt at about 3,700m I think and Kitzsteinhorn in Austria at about 3000m (although didn't reach actual summit).

Advertisement