Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB Bus Numbers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shltter wrote:
    Don't be dumb it is much easier
    Next post like this gets a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Victor wrote:
    Can you not see you have 4 semi decent drivers here giving little hints, tips and answering questions about the trade, while yes slamming the lazy insults.
    :mad:

spareman wrote:
    Whinge!

Fair enough you guys do contribute, but that doesn't mean you can insult people while contributing.

"All builders are scum" doesn't have the building industry up in arms, does it?

Victor wrote:
    Whinge!

Fair enough you guys do contribute, but that doesn't mean you can insult people while contributing.

"All builders are scum" doesn't have the building industry up in arms, does it?
    There are no builder's here and if there was Im sure they would be pee'd!
    So is it ok then to say all forum moderators are lazy and have bad attidudes the same as what people have said here about bus driver's?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Anybody old enough to remember the ACAB Grafiti on exposed surfaces throughout the Bwitish Isles.......It could easily be modified to ABAB......Go figger...as the Minister for Justice said to the Member in Charge of the Internet connection !!!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Victor wrote:

May i also add post number 2 in this topic was of equal values to Spam and leading to the downward spiral of this subject.

spareman wrote:
    There are no builder's here and if there was Im sure they would be pee'd!
    So is it ok then to say all forum moderators are lazy and have bad attidudes the same as what people have said here about bus driver's?
    The fact remains It's ok to slag of bus driver's on boards as long as the bus driver's dont retaliate? We have to just take it up the ASS and ignore post's calling us lazy or saying we have bad attidudes etc? Seriously if you look through the post's I dont think you will find where a dublin bus employee started any name calling or trouble. To be honest Ive a pain in my ASS with this place, it's so one sided it's unreal.
    And yeah Im still whinging!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Guys, most buses in the city have the wrong numbers on the back and sides. If a passenger has to check the number by walking in front of the bus, the driver will just drive away. If the passenger gets on, its "Would ya ever make up your mind?". Now theres ignorance and contempt for customers. What drivers need to do is get off their high horses and remember they're employed to provide a decent service to the public. Getting the number of a bus isn't meant to be a guessing game. So will continue to blame the bus driver if the number on the side is wrong. Either way the book stops with him to get it right.

Your excuses of why it happens mostly involve the negligence of the bus driver "he didn't wait ten seconds to press de button" etc. I don't give a crap most importantly. It shouldn't happen. You make sure its right and that is what you're meant to do. You should have figured it out by now.
    SickCert wrote:
    May i also add post number 2 in this topic was of equal values to Spam and leading to the downward spiral of this subject.
    What are you, the teacher's pet? All of the reasons for the wrong numbers mentioned here were avoidable. Therefore, I refer you back to post number 2.

What drivers need to do is get off their high horses and remember they're employed to provide a decent service to the public.
    Guys, most buses in the city have the wrong numbers on the back and sides.
    ALL 00's upwards will change themselves. The 95's to 99's need button presses.
    What are you, the teacher's pet? All of the reasons for the wrong numbers mentioned here were avoidable. Therefore, I refer you back to post number 2.

Post 2, ah the insult to the 4 drivers that post here when a question pops up? Or is it intended to ignite the whole subject to its very level its lowered too?
    What are you, the teacher's pet?

Meoooww thats low.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spareman wrote:
    The fact remains It's ok to slag of bus driver's on boards as long as the bus driver's dont retaliate? We have to just take it up the ASS and ignore post's calling us lazy or saying we have bad attidudes etc? Seriously if you look through the post's I dont think you will find where a dublin bus employee started any name calling or trouble. To be honest Ive a pain in my ASS with this place, it's so one sided it's unreal.
    And yeah Im still whinging!!!
    Oh go on then..

Explain to me the value of this post by yourself, if it wasn't intended as a cheap attack at other posters here:
    Remind you of this place wouldn't it, no matter what, they are right and you are wrong, He probably went round telling everyone for a week how he was kidnapped by a bus driver who tried to take him off route.
    I've highlighted the appropriate section for you. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see anything constructive in it??

The irony is the 2nd part of the quote (referring to Shltter's example) may very well be true. People do indeed remember (and repeat to others) negative experiences quicker than positive ones, which is unfortunate, but human nature. The challenge then to bus drivers (and in fact, anyone dealing with the public) is to ensure that they get things right as often as possible.

Of course mistakes happen, but as Aphex points out, the buck stops with the driver in a lot of these cases, and it's the attitude and outright refusal to accept responsibility when something DOES go wrong that irritates most people I think.

And no, I'm not sayng it's ALWAYS the driver's or DB's fault, but there is a lot of room for improvement based on the sheer volume and frequency of complaints posted even here - or do you think EVERYONE who relates such a story merely "has it in" for DB and/or its drivers?

In regards to your comment "I dont think you will find where a dublin bus employee started any name calling or trouble" - I refer you to the recent "Dublin Bus Disgrace" thread, where regardless of whether the OP's story was entirely accurate or not, it descended into personal attacks by some of the DB staff and resulted in the retaliation I in fact predicted on the 2nd page.

Finally, as I've said before but which doesn't seem to have sunk in, I (and I'm sure noone else) have no issue with DB staff coming on to refute anything they see as wrong or factually inaccurate, however it's the WAY that some of you do so is the problem.

I'll say it again: attack the post, not the poster, and I'm sure we'll all get along fine and maybe even learn something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

Guys, most buses in the city have the wrong numbers on the back and sides. If a passenger has to check the number by walking in front of the bus, the driver will just drive away. If the passenger gets on, its "Would ya ever make up your mind?". Now theres ignorance and contempt for customers. What drivers need to do is get off their high horses and remember they're employed to provide a decent service to the public. Getting the number of a bus isn't meant to be a guessing game. So will continue to blame the bus driver if the number on the side is wrong. Either way the book stops with him to get it right.

Your excuses of why it happens mostly involve the negligence of the bus driver "he didn't wait ten seconds to press de button" etc. I don't give a crap most importantly. It shouldn't happen. You make sure its right and that is what you're meant to do. You should have figured it out by now.

Wow am I ever sorry I started this thread. I think you're exaggerating just a tad when you say 'most' buses are set wrong - I see about one bus a week that isn't right and yes, even that one bus is one too many.

The drivers told me up front that there are two reasons that might happen - driver error or technical faults with the equipment. No-one covered up or made excuses.

Why is it so hard to have a proper debate around here without it descending into flames?

I think if I told a driver the numbers on the back and sides of his bus were wrong he'd sooner explain to me why they're wrong rather than actually fixing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I remember reading a post* about a passenger getting onto a bus and politely telling the driver that the number on the side didn't match the number on the front. The driver's response was "This bus only goes forward, not fukking sideways". Perhaps people are loathe to point out any error for fear of being publically embarassed by some of the less socially adept drivers.

* I can't locate it without the search, sorry.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As a seasoned bus user I find people who argue with the driver over things and hold up the bus in the process in general more annoying than the incident they're complaining about. They are wasting my time as well as the drivers'.

There are rude people everywhere. I had once to deal with a very rude medical professional and a very rude electrician recently - both did very good jobs in a short time and i have had no complaints about either since. I haven't seen any more rude bus drivers than any other profession. Stop complaining.

Red Alert wrote:

There are rude people everywhere.
    True, but the issue is not that the drivers are rude. As seen on this board, they also hate getting held up eg. people fiddling with change etc.

One issue that holds passengers up is they've to check the number on the front of the bus. This is avoidable, especially with experience and paying attention when operating the number display on the bus. But the drivers are entirely responsible for operating this. Thus all the drivers here are hypocrites.
    spareman wrote:
    Mental note: take issue with spareman's next comment about 'the public'. :D
    markpb wrote:
    Wow am I ever sorry I started this thread.
    Does it not bother you that they get it wrong so often?? You never said to yourself, "jesus for the millionth time put the right number on the bus?"

One issue that holds passengers up is they've to check the number on the front of the bus. This is avoidable, especially with experience and paying attention when operating the number display on the bus. But the drivers are entirely responsible for operating this. Thus all the drivers here are hypocrites.
    OK I'l tell you what the next time my bus display's dont set the same on the back and side I will call control and ask them can I take the bus out of service to get the problem fixed, I will let you know what they say, As for the other reason number's are not correct, We are all human and none of us are perfect, have you never forgotten anything important?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote [AphexTM] : "Thus all the drivers here are hypocrites."

I am a great believer in the principle of moderation in all things,especially Moderation.

I see great possibilities for a long and fruitful exploration of AphexTM`s point of view and particularly the degree of extrapolation which AphexTM appears singluarly gifted with.

However,just as with the contributions on some of the other threads,it somewhat apparent to less agitated observers that there is a rapidly widening gulf opening up between Desire and Reality.

As a society the Irish are only recent arrivals at the Desire platform.
    For most of our illustrious past Paddy was content to bumble along,cloth cap in hand and play the TomFool.
    Some of our wealthiest and slickest businesspeople were largely simple folk with a very large "Cute" streak.

However now we are all sharp and sassy and have our appetites whetted by time spent in foreign climes and interaction with foreign cultures.

That interaction does not appear to have gone as far as actually starting to Think Foreign too as is shown by AphextM`s stout defence of the "Rooters" who faff about for money when all about them are anxious to be about their fathers business.

AphexTM waxes critically about the Busdrivers impatience at this uniquely tolerated Irish Public Transport practice.

AphexTM really should take out the Earphones and listen to the under-the-breath grumblings from those very fellow passengers who in the course of their journey must suffer the slings and arrows of iniquitous delays ad nauseum.

Percy French may well have been correct with his refrain.....

"Are Ye right there Aphex,are ye Right......D`ye think that we`ll get home afore the Night"

( Profuse credits and apologies to the estate of P French Esq for the use of elements of their benefactors lyrics) :):):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Thus all the drivers here are hypocrites.

For telling you that the older machines may not be as accurate as the newer version AND yes human error does come into play. AND again NO i cant see maintenance fixing a 95 D thats going to be sold later this year.

I think your lucky you have a few lads with insider know how that spend time here passing it on. Otherwise its just tear DB apart again with no debate or reverse angle of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

Does it not bother you that they get it wrong so often?? You never said to yourself, "jesus for the millionth time put the right number on the bus?"

If it happened regularly, I'd totally agree with you but its so rare that, on my list of things I hate about transport in Dublin, it hardly registers. I admit when it happens and causes you to miss your bus, its very annoying but a) it has been fixed by the new DMDs and b) we can never stop driver error from happening. As long as its uncommon and on the way out, I'm happy enough.

Has it never bothered you that in LA (car king, don't forget) you can buy an all-day ticket for trains, trams and buses for only 3 dollars? You can't even buy that ticket in Ireland! Does it bother you that there's little or no bus/bus or bus/train interchange facilities or that our smartcard / integrated ticketing programme is almost non-existant? There are bigger fish to fry.

Thus all the drivers here are hypocrites.
    Stop being imflamatory.

1 week ban.

• Advertisement
Advertisement