Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed cameras on m50

Options
  • 08-02-2007 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

i was flashed tonight at the ballymun exit by the speed camera on the m50
    i was doing 128 KPH (its 120kph zone)
    A mate of mine was flashed by it in june and has heard nothing back
    how long does it take and is there film in it anyone know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bumped over to Commuting & Transport, throw it back to me if it's not in the right spot. Thanks mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I donot thin that camera works as i have gone past afew times fast and never recieved anything and this has been ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That speed camera is like the one on the N4. If you are on the route regularly, you know its there. Why take the chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

i knew it was there my F****ing fone rang and the car crept up to 128 i was keeping it bang on 120 kph

DRDre did the camera flash when you went past ?

• Advertisement

roughan wrote:
    DRDre did the camera flash when you went past ?
    As far as i remember it flashed once.But i didnt get any fines etc.I go through that section alot and never really slow down because of the camera.Well i havent been caught so i donot think it even works

Normaly a single flash means just one picture, you need two pictures taken a set time apart to prove the vehicle was traveling above the speed limit.

More than likely it was triggered by a lorry coming the opposite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

roughan wrote:
    i knew it was there my F****ing fone rang and the car crept up to 128 i was keeping it bang on 120 kph

No symapthy for you if you answered your phone at 120 kph.

roughan wrote:

Get a car kit or cheap bluetooth headet.That can save yur life and save you from fines.its well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

MICKEYG wrote:
    No symapthy for you if you answered your phone at 120 kph.

Welcome mr righteous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

haveb been flashed by that camera twice early last year and heard nothing , afaik that cam is fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

rondeco wrote:
    Welcome mr righteous.

Mr Sensible would be more appropriate. How important are these calls that people have to take? Keep answering the phone at that speed pal, some day you will get yours. Unfortunately you will probably get others as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More than likely it was triggered by a lorry coming the opposite way.
    AFAIK traffic on te other side of the motorway is not captured by the camera.

rondeco wrote:
    Welcome mr righteous.

in fairness answering the phone while driving at the best of times is pretty silly but answering the phone at 128kmh is genuinely just plain retarded

i've seen countless drivers on the M50 driving dodgy as hell and when you go past them low and behold there on their bloody mobiles , invest €30 in a handsfree it could save your live and the very least reduce the chance of your insurance going through the roof if you have an accident and if you continue with answering the phone at that speed you will eventually have an accident

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not even €30! There are many on ebay for less than a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Have to agree.. answering the phone was stupid.. for a number of reasons..
    1: you lost control of the vehicle since you went above the speed limit you had kept up to that point.
    2: your hands are not where they should be. On the wheel.
    3: You had to take your eye off the road.
    4: its illegal without a handsfree
    5: (and this is should be the most obvious) at over 120kph you can hear feck all on any phone even with a handsfree, unless you drive a Bently or Rolls or something and have very little road noise in the cabin.

Jaysusl... i have a bluetooth headset i will glady give to you for free if you send me a padded SAE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Saruman wrote:
    Have to agree.. answering the phone was stupid.. for a number of reasons..
    1: you lost control of the vehicle since you went above the speed limit you had kept up to that point.
    2: your hands are not where they should be. On the wheel.
    3: You had to take your eye off the road.
    4: its illegal without a handsfree
    5: (and this is should be the most obvious) at over 120kph you can hear feck all on any phone even with a handsfree, unless you drive a Bently or Rolls or something and have very little road noise in the cabin.

Jaysusl... i have a bluetooth headset i will glady give to you for free if you send me a padded SAE!!
    Eh? Number 5 is just wrong!

OK did i say i answered the phone ???????
    i think we are off topic here !
    my question was if the speed camera works and was anybody else ever flashed
    there is a digidal sppedo in my car so i know i was doing exactly 128 kph

5 is deffo wrong my car is only at 2700 rpm at 128 kph

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

drdre wrote:
    Well i havent been caught so i donot think it even works

Depends on wether or not there's a film in it. Wait til it's privatized they'll all be digital and all over the place.
    miju wrote:
    haveb been flashed by that camera twice early last year and heard nothing , afaik that cam is fooked

Mustn't have been film in it, I believe they only operate 3 nation-wide at any given time.
    kbannon wrote:
    AFAIK traffic on te other side of the motorway is not captured by the camera.
    Ya, the only time it'll flash on traffic coming the other way is when it's contra-flow and traffic is in close proximity to the marked 'box'. Happened me twice, startled me both times.

• Advertisement

roughan wrote:

firstly, your speedo isn't as accurate as you may think, I'm told they're normally calibrated so they show a little faster than the car is actually traveling, I can't back this up btw.

secondly, You were doing 128 in a 120 which means you were 6.666% above the limit enough to be fined for on the static camera's..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

"i knew it was there my F****ing fone rang and the car crept up to 128 i was keeping it bang on 120 kph"

"OK did i say i answered the phone ???????"

So if you didn't answer your phone and your car "crept" up to 128, it is very carless driving, although id be sure you did answer it and you deserve to get more than the 2 points if the camara is working.

c'mon, off the soap box please, he didn't say he answered, just that it distracted him. Any one ever change radio station, put on a cd, have a look at a nice car or a bit of fluff? T'is all a bit off topic, including this.

in answer to Sparks400 point , yes i have but never resulting in me going speeding up my car unintentionally

miju wrote:
    in answer to Sparks400 point , yes i have but never resulting in me going speeding up my car unintentionally
    Fine, these things are all distractions wether you speed up or not, I know my driving isn't perfect either, that's all.

here this is all going way off topic
    i appricitate all the do gooders but pls dont post if its not in relation to my origional question

ie is there film in that camera

Sparks400 wrote:
    Fine, these things are all distractions wether you speed up or not, I know my driving isn't perfect either, that's all.

sorry , im not understanding your point

roughan wrote:

i think given peoples posts about being flashed and not hearing anything i'd say theres no film in that camera

roughan wrote:
    here this is all going way off topic
    i appricitate all the do gooders but pls dont post if its not in relation to my origional question

I doubt anyone here knows wether or not the cameras are loaded, and if anyone did they wouldn't be in a position to tell you, you'll have to wait and see. To answer your second question, anything up to 3 months.
    Miju wrote:
    sorry , im not understanding your point

Sorry I wasn't clearer

My point is: checking a phone call, putting on a cd, changing the radio station checking out a nice car etc, your concentration is interrupted, therefore they're all distractions of one kind or another, granted of different magnitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

roughan wrote:
    OK did i say i answered the phone ???????
    i think we are off topic here !

lol. All this talk of snow and here we have the perfect example of the Snowball effect.

Camera needs to flash twice to take two pictures to verify the reading with the lines on the road.

As for traffic going in the opposite direction. This won't trigger the camera which I think is called a Gattso camera. A different type is used for approaching traffic and doesn't have a flash (for obvioous reasons), and afaik there aren't any in the ROI.

Not sure if the camera itself is working however. I haven't heard of anybody getting done by it though.

Advertisement