Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting harassed my TV license inspector

Options
  • 06-02-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am wondering about how invasive the tv inspectors can be. I have a tv but no license (- I know how unacceptable a lot of people think that is but I personally disagree with it as I reject paying RTE to advertise to me.) Anyway, I am getting serious harassment from An Post banging on the door and leaving slips under it etc. The latest one says I have 5 days. My question is can they prove I have a tv if I never let them in and if so can I then be summonsed? After tonight I am starting to think they may break the door down. Could I just store the tv somewhere and let them in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You are screwed!!
    Principals will only get you a serious fine and/or jail term.
    Just pay it, its a pain in the arse but its the law after all.

I do not want to pay road tax either... after all the roads are a disgrace and the only excellent roads are Toll roads!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yep pay it. The old blanket covering the tv trick wont work. (A guy tried this and was convicted in court recently. Sorry cant find the link)

besides if you are subscribing to ntl or sky then the gov knows u got a tv.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yes they can prove it. Haven't you noticed your reception going funny when the vans come around? Hope you have a spare grand handy for the fine. Was wondering, do you approve of motor tax etc? Any other compulsory things you choose to ignore?

Let us know how you get on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

apperently in america theres no actually law on being made made tax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

chamar wrote:
    After tonight I am starting to think they may break the door down. Could I just store the tv somewhere and let them in?

They wont break the door in!

Just a funny thought which reminded me of a far side gallery joke. Yep hide the tv and you let them in. They see the sofa and armchairs facing an empty tv stand. "no tv here boss"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

I do remember some sketch from years back where the resident kept repeating tv catchphrases to the inspector.....eg. 'Nice to see you, to see you NICE!"

Tonight was just the limit though. The inspector got someone else to let him in the front and then was banging like a psycho on the front door for 10 mins....hence I thought maybe they could break in or something. I guess I will just have to buy one and suffer the knowledge that my money is going to pay for that twit Kenny every friday night etc etc etc

I am not letting that psycho inspector in tho.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think he means that there is no specific law against paying taxes in the US. I don't this is true, they have laws against tax evasion. Actually, Al Capone got done for tax evasion in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

chamar wrote:
    I do remember some sketch from years back where the resident kept repeating tv catchphrases to the inspector.....eg. 'Nice to see you, to see you NICE!"

Tonight was just the limit though. The inspector got someone else to let him in the front and then was banging like a psycho on the front door for 10 mins....hence I thought maybe they could break in or something. I guess I will just have to buy one and suffer the knowledge that my money is going to pay for that twit Kenny every friday night etc etc etc

Alternatively, sell your television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

chamar wrote:
    I personally disagree with it as I reject paying RTE to advertise to me

boo hoo. we all have to deal with it, including most of Europe. if you want to pay a license but have no ads then have you ever thought about moving to the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

MarkR wrote:
    Yes they can prove it. Haven't you noticed your reception going funny when the vans come around? Hope you have a spare grand handy for the fine. Was wondering, do you approve of motor tax etc? Any other compulsory things you choose to ignore?

Let us know how you get on. :D

What vans????? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

sudzs wrote:
    What vans????? :confused:

You know , "the" vans, that "they" drive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I moved into a new place that had a tv, but who needs TV when you have broadband, so I threw it into the shed. Is this good enough not to pay the license?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

cormie wrote:
    I moved into a new place that had a tv, but who needs TV when you have broadband, so I threw it into the shed. Is this good enough not to pay the license?

If you don't watch TV then you shouldn't have to pay for a TV lisence!! But if you watch it on the comp then you have to pay it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

cormie wrote:

Legally no. But its a bit like the "broken TV" claus, if its broken, you still have to pay,but they'd have a hard time proving it your TV was in your shed. If you really don't need the TV, just sell the b*stard, its easier.

It's not mine to sell, belongs to the gaf:(

I don't actually watch TV on my laptop, just use alluc.org;)

What would be the story with the license anyway? Do I just let it expire without paying it or would I have to ring them up to cancel it or what? I was told just let it expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Saruman wrote:
    what?
    I believe he's talking about the fact that there is no tv licence fee in the US or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just pay it..... yes the money goes to RTE, but it's a license for having a television. You're paying the government for all the money they put in to set up the broadcast network.

Essentially,

Just Pay The Fúcking Money :P

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

just because you dont have a tv, even if u listen to the radio you still need one.afaik.

If you're referring to me, I don't listen to the radio either. Musicovery.com for that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

oleras wrote:
    just because you dont have a tv, even if u listen to the radio you still need one.afaik.

Totally incorrect. The licence is called the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926 Section 5 Television Licence

The licence also states "have possession of a television set or television sets at the premises"

No reference to radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I used to pay by direct debit, and when I moved away and wanted to cancel the woman said I couldnt, so Im now paying a 12 euro a month and I'm not even in Ireland!

zuutroy wrote:
    I used to pay by direct debit, and when I moved away and wanted to cancel the woman said I couldnt, so Im now paying a 12 euro a month and I'm not even in Ireland!

You should be able to cancel it through your bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah, it's great living int he UK not having to pay for advertising etc. :rolleyes: but you still need a TV license to cover BBC 1 and BBC 2.

There are still people over here who complain that they don't watch BBC so shouldn't have to pay...same sh1t different country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Living in a rented apartment for about 7 months now and got a call from the TV Licence inspector last night.

I answered that I did have a portable TV but it was impossible to watch TV on it. I use it for DVD’s.
    I don’t have Sky/NTL and it is just isn’t possible to get a signal with a portable aeriel. The same goes with wireless broadband and there is barely a mobile phone signal.
    I make phone calls beside the window.
    That’s what happens when you live next the biggest stadium in the country.

I invited the TV licence inspector in, explained the situation and proved I couldn’t watch any terrestrial channels. I also proved there was no Sky dish or NTL socket.
    This cut no ice with him, I had to pay.

I’ll be giving the portable TV to my sister and I’ll use my laptop to watch DVD’s from now on.
    Seems unfair to have to pay for a service I’ll never use but that’s the law I suppose. Can’t fight the system.

Now waiting 6 weeks for Eircom to install a phoneline so I can get broadband but that’s a rant for a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

chamar wrote:

Just turn up the volume of the tv so you can't hear him. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

cormie wrote:
    Not for much longer. They're trying to bring in further legislation that will mean you have to pay the license if you have a broadband capable computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

cormie wrote:

If you're renting doesn't the owner have to get the license? When I was in college, we rented an apartment. The inspector came along and we told him we rented, and didn't know if we had a license (which we didn't). He said it was ok, he'd get in touch with the owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Not for much longer. They're trying to bring in further legislation that will mean you have to pay the license if you have a broadband capable computer.

i think this is ridiculous. are RTÉ going to provide their tv channels online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

cormie wrote:
    You should be able to cancel it through your bank?

It comes off my credit card, and they cant stop it apparently...might ring again to confirm.

Advertisement