Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - will they ever produce a comedy????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

But in a spectacular about turn RTÉ very cowardly withdrew The Spike after the transmission of that episode. Not one of their finest moments, and since then I believe not one episode has ever been repeated.

1. It was a drama not a soap.
    2. Strangely every chance RTE get they show the nude scene. A nude woman walks up to a window (Frosty Glass Window BTW) And streaches out her arms. How could they get away with showing a full episode :rolleyes:
    3. Way off the topic. As have been my previous posts sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iKitten

The only "comedy" produced by RTÉ that could ever somehow compete on the international circuit is Paths to Freedom.

Everything else is just not modern or edgy enough.

IMO taking comedy way to seriously there. Surely RTE should be able to produce an Irish based comedy for an Irish audience, just because something doesn't do well international doesn't mean its not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Anyone remember Couched? I think it was made in 1998. Kind of bizarre sketch show - and it was actually half-decent from what I vaguely recall.

Anyone remember Couched? I think it was made in 1998. Kind of bizarre sketch show - and it was actually half-decent from what I vaguely recall.

Yeah! Bizarre but not good. IMO. from what I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Elmo wrote:
    Yeah! Bizarre but not good. IMO. from what I can remember.

Was that the thing with the Hungry Referee plasticine interludes and that long faced comedian who used to do "Science Rocks (it never stops)" on one of the many sub-Den kid/teen shows on network two? That was brilliant, although that might be partially because it was on very late when I was either tired or drunk enough to enjoy it. Tommy Tiernan did a great newscast about ducks on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

iKitten wrote:
    The only "comedy" produced by RTÉ that could ever somehow compete on the international circuit is Paths to Freedom.

Remembering, also, "Fergus' Wedding". That was half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

ethernet wrote:
    Remembering, also, "Fergus' Wedding". That was half decent.
    That used to make me laugh out loud. Really enjoyed it.
    Bachelors walk had its moments and Pure Mule was OK.

The End
    Apres Match

It's difficult to make a successful comedy.

The BBC might have one successful comedy a year, as might C4.

But are we talking about Chat comedy also?

Sitcom or general comedy. If its general comedy RTE do alright.

Will TV3 ever produce a comedy????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Elmo wrote:
    Will TV3 ever produce a comedy????

their news programme is laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Jeez guys and gals.....ye're all very critical here.

RTE has had its share of ****e attempts at comedy, yeah, but then so has the UK.....Little Britain, Time Gentlemen Please, Keeping Up Appearances.

And the US often doesn't fare much better - for every Cheers, Frasier and Scrubs, there's Joey, Jackass and lots of other ****e.

The Panel is streets ahead of the equivalent ones in the UK; only "Have I Got News" comes close, and that's not as "trendy"; the supposedly cool and modern ones are ****e.

Pure Mule was good (apart from the accents), and while Killnascully mightn't be my cup of tea, there's no denying its ratings (although judging by that yardstick is dodgy, as it'd make you think Big Brother was good :eek: ).

As Elmo said, one good comedy a year is good going.....it's probably just that we have so many UK channels and so many repeats that makes the UK's record on comedy seem better than it really is.

Let's look at what's out there on the UK channels and US programmes - if I wanted a guaranteed laugh, there's Two Pints of Lager (repeats) Fr Ted (repeats) Scrubs, Frasier, or the aforementioned HIGNFY....or maybe the new season of The OC, which was pretty funny when it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Liam Byrne wrote:
    And the US often doesn't fare much better - for every Cheers, Frasier and Scrubs, there's Joey, Jackass and lots of other ****e.

i think Jackass doesnt belong on this list. its not the same type of programming as the others

i think Jackass doesnt belong on this list. its not the same type of programming as the others

That's why I am asking what type of comedy are we talking about. Are we talking about purely Sit-coms or comedy in general.

Jackass is down to taste IMO, but then comedy is often down to taste.

e.g. I can see why people think Kinnaskully is funny but it isn't that funny to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishsniper

COUCHED was class, completly random, but class. it had Barry Murphy and Mark Doherty (Dave's brother)

sketches included: The hungary referee and the lord,
    4 dancing bastards,
    whats the 20th letter in the alphabet?,
    the 2-sided board game,
    "Grass", "Grass", (american accent)"Graaaaass."
    "'Book', said the cake"
    the BeeGeeBoy song "Clock, 2 windows, twenty-past-two, There I am, in the doorway"
    Tonight.....on BASTARDS

there is only 1 short clip on youtube - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zzf9xWuLKck

i'd love to see more: anybody have any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith99

upwardly mobile, leave it to MRS O' Brien are more bad irish comedies from rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 alannologo

any body know of somebody who would be good at formating a sit-com as i have a fantastic idea but would love some help??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishsniper

COUCHED was class, completly random, but class. it had Barry Murphy and Mark Doherty (Dave's brother)

sketches included: The hungary referee and the lord,
    4 dancing bastards,
    whats the 20th letter in the alphabet?,
    the 2-sided board game,
    "Grass", "Grass", (american accent)"Graaaaass."
    "'Book', said the cake"
    the BeeGeeBoy song "Clock, 2 windows, twenty-past-two, There I am, in the doorway"
    Tonight.....on BASTARDS

there is only 1 short clip on youtube - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zzf9xWuLKck

i'd love to see more: anybody have any?

They are all on YouTube now:

https://youtu.be/AkktGXEFkfE

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement