Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're a Star

Options
  • 05-02-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Who will win You're a Star?

The judges love the band, 21 demands, but they are way over-rated.
    Maeve O'Donnell is quite good, but she almost got voted out.

The big guy, isn't his name Andy, anyway he has a fairly good voice but was very poor in his girlie performance.

The guy who actually appears to have a bit of talent is Shane Downey. He is certainly a very good guitar player, and he is more in it for the music than the others probably.

Shane would be a worthy winner in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do you work for Shane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Who got voted out last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

er richie whatshisname was voted off! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Sweet Jesus this is the worst shower of losers I have ever seen - not one of them are any good. What the hell are RTE thinking it's the most embarrasing piece of television I've ever seen I was with some people from the UK music industry last week and accidentally caught a few minutes of it. They're still laughing I think one of them may die.

And it doesn't matter who wins no-one will ever hear of them again they'll be playing the ploughing championships next year if they're lucky after being dropped by the record company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've only seen bits and pieces of this series, so I hate to be negative. The standard this year seems to be terrible, I didnt see the bands on Sunday but all the solo artists were terrible, real karoke chancer style.

This is with the exception of the big guy, he can sing really well but the band let him down big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

21 Demands, or at least I hope they do, they're the only talented ones on that show (including the judges).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Oh my god make it stop.... I don't watch this, but of what i've seen, they're all ****e. They should also sack their live engineer for that god awfule live sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

eamon234 wrote:
    Sweet Jesus this is the worst shower of losers I have ever seen

I agree :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Indeed, whoever is doing the sound should be fired

They're all a bunch of losers. The standard is so pathetic it's unbelievable. Those idiot judges don't help either - the kilkenny guy who sang some song about tears from jupiter (or whatever) had a great voice when singing it and they completely slated him. Because they're tone deaf idiots. He's the only one of the soloists who can sing. The band are ok.
    The rest barely even belong on karaoke. I can't believe miss blonde 16 year old "I can sing an elvis love song because I have a crush on a boy at school lolz" got as far as she did. She didn't even have a voice.
    Argh! Just look at the american and english versions and you can see how stupid it is!
    We need simon cowell, he'd sort them all out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'd be happy if RTE pulled the plug on the show long before the final. None of them have what it takes for a record deal, let alone to perform on national television. Its not even funny how much the standard has fallen since last year.
    Like Scuba Sh*te! I find it insulting that one of the only two bands in the country to make it to the final have to be told that they're not playing in time with one another.
    The only person I thought had any bit of talent above the norm was Andrew Grafton and he was voted off in the second week. So who will win? Less of a sh*t could I give...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I personally hope that Andy wins

he is the complete opposite to the typical, boyband looking, twat such as that is seen in westlife

He has a great voice and a great personality

AND that bitch Linda, immediately slated him because of his weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Oh it's awful. The standard this year is just horrible, at least last year some of the acts had presence and put on some sort of show, this year they are just kids doing bad karaoke. And while I don't agree with the judges all of the time, none of the acts seem to be taking any of their advise and are doing the same bland rubbish every week.

Also who picks their songs? All the judges seem to do is moan about their choice of song and the acts sometimes just say they wouldn't have chosen that song. What gives? Is it the producers?

I have to say though, if anything You're A Star shows exactly why the public in Ireland shouldn't be alllowed to vote. It's all about where you're from, you're campaign and how twee you are. The Daniel O'Donnell's sail through (eg: Chris Doran, James Kilban and The Sullivans) and the talented ones are booted out for being from Dublin. It still shocks me that Lucia won last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Oh dear.... and the cent still hasn't dropped.???

No one gives a fcuk about talent.... its a money making machine encouraging morons to phone in .

Cop yourselves on,ignore the thing,and maybe those moronic judges ,untalented performers and money grabbing phone companies will go away.

And.... WHooooo in his/her right mind put Keith Duffy presenting.... Jaysus...embarrassing in the extreeeeeme

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

It should have been stangled at birth but there are enough tone deaf viewers to keep muck like this being broadcast each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dave connolly

Lots of strong comments.

The concensus from most of those posts are that it is a bunch of crap.

Anyway, they are what they are, and the best should still be picked in my opinion, even if it is the best of a bad lot.

That's why I picked Shane in the initial post, because he does appear to have some talent at least.
    My initial pick was Andrew Grafton, but he got booted out after singing very poorly in the 2nd week, although he did do a great performance right after being booted out.

To be honest, none of them are likely to do well with a record deal, but if someone decent is picked they might do better than Lucia Evans, and that isn't too much to ask for.

rb_ie wrote:
    21 Demands, or at least I hope they do, they're the only talented ones on that show (including the judges).

21 demands are very over-rated. They are just a typical band, but the judges haven't had successful bands, so anyone half decent and they are trying to promote them.

bluewolf wrote:
    I can't believe miss blonde 16 year old "I can sing an elvis love song because I have a crush on a boy at school lolz" got as far as she did. She didn't even have a voice.

Maybe I missed that bit. What was that about the Elvis song exactly?

Steve01 wrote:
    I'd be happy if RTE pulled the plug on the show long before the final. None of them have what it takes for a record deal, let alone to perform on national television. Its not even funny how much the standard has fallen since last year.

Maybe the time that passed made you think Your a Star 2006 was better than it was. It wasn't great either.

Marilyn Bane was good, but she only came good later. Maybe one of the 2007 YAS singers will come good yet.

Lucia Evans was just a typical over-rated singer with a decent voice but was obviously not going to go anywhere.
    The Sullivan brothers who came 2nd were no better than the 2007 contestants.

Who else was there? Ciara McGinn maybe or how about the famous band Lemon or whatever they were. If they were any good maybe they would have been heard of more since then.

That was a good rant. 2006 and 2007 you're a star singers were both rubbish, so lets not insult the standard that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe I missed that bit. What was that about the Elvis song exactly?
    She tried (and failed) to sing the "take my hand" song. Far, far out of tune from the first note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

21 demands are very over-rated. They are just a typical band, but the judges haven't had successful bands, so anyone half decent and they are trying to promote them.
    They're not over-rated. If they were, other media outlets would be throwing themselves at them, they're well rated because they're the only ones with a shred of talent on that show and when compared to the rest of the acts, they're the only ones who come across as not only good musicians, but good performers, hence the judges may be in favour of them. That doesn't equal them being over-rated.

I can't help but feel you're in some way associated with Shane though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Chimpanzee-that

bluewolf wrote:
    I can't believe miss blonde 16 year old "I can sing an elvis love song because I have a crush on a boy at school lolz" got as far as she did. She didn't even have a voice.

I'll hold my hands up for that...

I kept voting for her to stay.

To be fair she was the only nice thing to look at of a Sunday eve.... :rolleyes:

bluewolf wrote:
    She tried (and failed) to sing the "take my hand" song. Far, far out of tune from the first note.

If that was the one where she had the red dress, that was her worst performance, but she can actually sing. She genuinely has a really good voice, but was very nervous for some reason.

rb_ie wrote:
    They're not over-rated. If they were, other media outlets would be throwing themselves at them, they're well rated because they're the only ones with a shred of talent on that show and when compared to the rest of the acts, they're the only ones who come across as not only good musicians, but good performers, hence the judges may be in favour of them. That doesn't equal them being over-rated.

I can't help but feel you're in some way associated with Shane though.

I'm actually associated with Susan, but I did admit Andrew Grafton was the best.
    When Shane played his little riff at the start of his first song, it was very obvious that he is a very accomplished guitar player, and that's great for a young lad like that.
    Also, he can sing in tune, which is better than most of the other contestants.

Who knows if he has a commercial voice, but what is a commercial voice anyway. All sorts make it.

By the way, I also voted for Susan, but it was pretty obvious that she would struggle to be a contender.

If that was the one where she had the red dress, that was her worst performance, but she can actually sing. She genuinely has a really good voice, but was very nervous for some reason.
    I heard her sing the following week. She sings from her throat with no substance, and she was still quite out of tune. Maybe she could have a great voice with a little training.

So who was voted of this week?

I saw the show but not the result.

So who was voted of this week?

I saw the show but not the result.

Shane Downey was voted out, which was a pity.

The overall standard was well up on the previous show.

5 contestants performed very well.
    3 contestants performed very poorly.

The 3 poor performances were from
    Andy, the big guy, he sang really badly, if he sang different songs he has a good voice.
    Maeve, who started well but has worse with each show,
    Brian Clarke, his voice was really shaky and out of tune.

The other 5 were at least in tune. It's a pity Shane was voted out, because he didn't deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

The other 5 were at least in tune. It's a pity Shane was voted out, because he didn't deserve it.

True, the ones with no charisma or personality always get to the final, it's unfair that he wasn't allowed fulfil his destiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Talking about charisma and personality,Keith Duffy,in my opinion,is abysmal as presenter:wooden,pedantic,predictable,stiff as a frikken board.

Disaster!!!

The bands were good; everyone else I saw was dire. Absolutely dire.
    I didn't see shane, though.

• Advertisement

Definite improvement on last week.

This loved ones wishing them well before the performance was stiff and contrived, there was one particular family that was pure wooden, its obviously not their thing. But its the producers who let it go are the ones I blame.

Advertisement