Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again) it begins... (SU Elections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

That Daire Mcnab's piece in the Trinity News was stupid, he didn't take it seriously and made paedo jokes (so much for my welfare). Not getting my vote. Barry Keane dissed Barry Murphy, no matter what you think of Barry Murphy you're not supposed to go around dissing anybody really, everyone thought it was not cool. Not getting my vote (wasn't getting it anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Myth wrote:
    I'd highlight the 'campaigns' part of what is written, as it is often overlooked.

Could that be read to include things like the Coke/flag campaign? Or would it refer more to student-centric campaigns? Or is it basically one of those "decided form year to year" things? (Sorry for the massive off-topicness, I'm just curious what it is that a President actually does)
    SOL wrote:
    But most importantly let us not forget it is the Record we are talking about, the fact there were words on paper was doing well, I thought.

A fair point, although given the number of typos, calling it "words" might be a tad strong. I love that the Record's reputation for poor quality is now officially international...
    crash_000 wrote:
    Also, I look sexy in my TN article

I did love the artsy photos for the Education section - much more aesthetically pleasing than the usual "GIANT FACE" ones.
    Barry Keane dissed Barry Murphy, no matter what you think of Barry Murphy you're not supposed to go around dissing anybody really, everyone thought it was not cool.

Really? That seems pretty stupid (the "don't say mean things" sentiment, not you guys personally, just to clarify). One of the things I was most disappointed about in Claire Tighe's interview was that she seemed oblivious to the problems with the Record, whereas Neasa freely said that it had had problems; in a year when a motion condemning it was only barely defeated, it's sticking your head in the sand to suggest everything's fine. As for Barry, if he thinks there's a problem with Ents and can see a way to improve it, I have much more respect for him standing up and saying that rather than doing the usual back-patting "Well, everyone's done a great job this year" crap. If you're running to change things, then say that you're running to change things - if anything, Ed's "more of the same" offer would put me off far more.

On that note, what's the general feeling on negative campaigning? As in, I'd see it as perfectly justified to point out one candidate's massive failings/inadequecies in a public forum, but apparently that's considered poor form by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Comhra....

Negative campaigning is one thing, destroying someone, making them feel like piece of poo on the bottom of your shoe and taking away their will to live is another! I don't see anything wrong with one candidate pointing out faults in his or her opponents ideas. But going after a person rather than their ideas or policies is just plain mean and not the kind of campaign I would like to be involved in. Running for election or helping out with someones campaign is far nicer if both sides get on and are nice to each other, it stops people getting paranoid and developing insomnia*

*it's not always the candidate that develops these conditions, it's often their campaign manager. On that note it's often also the campaign manager who is the nasty one, not the candidate.

But on a completely different note; the job of the president.
    In my opinion the president is a campaigns officer and a support. His or her first job is to the other sabbatical officers. It should be the president staying up till 5am with the dep pres and the record team during a production weekend. The president should be helping the Welfare officer fill SHAG packs and help out on stands duing awareness campaigns. The president must make sure that the sabbatical officers are working as a team, making sure everyone is on the same page when dealing with the big or small problems. We have three sabbats on board, to achieve anything they must work together and it is up to the president to make sure this happens. I'm not saying that the president has to come up with all the ideas or lead the attack every time, often the education officer is much better informed. But it is the presidents job to make sure that their is an environment in which the other four officers are able to do their jobs successfully.

As for campaigns I think the president should have a few campaigns that he or she takes the lead on eg reg fee, space costs, more couches, coke, flag, rites of the student (consumer/tenant/employment etc) or whatever else the students at the time see fit and care enough about. But the president should also help and support the other officers in their campaigns. The welfare officer may be running Mental Health Awarenesss week with a stand in the Hamilton but what use is an empty stand? The Welfare officer has countless meetings and also has to make themselves available for case work. The Welfare committee is made up of student volunteers who all have classes. Inevitably the stand will be left unattended. Why can't the president give a hand for an hour or two?

Anyway apologies for the rant. I'm currently unable to turn my brain off.

shay_562 wrote:
    Could that be read to include things like the Coke/flag campaign? Or would it refer more to student-centric campaigns? Or is it basically one of those "decided form year to year" things? (Sorry for the massive off-topicness, I'm just curious what it is that a President actually does)

I'd see the campaigns as more student based. It can be decided upon by SU Exec and Council (and, it seems, by the Campaigns Committee). The random nature of student life means that it would be nice to sit down and think up campaigns to do during the year, but a lot of campaigns are reactionary to decisions/events - see Acting Studies course thread as an example!

Saying that, Council and Exec never decided that it was an idea to 'give permission' for any of the campaigns I initiated :D. In the end, it would be down to the individual unless it is specified in a motion/decision.

The President sits on a number of committees so whenever you hear a candidate say that they want to see that person in the office less and out being seen more, consider for a moment that if they skip off a meeting to 'be seen' around campus, a decision could be reached at that meeting which would be quite difficult to fight against. From the committees s/he sits on, it follows that they would be in a prime position to try and change some things... for example, Mannion last year was trying to get New Square opened up due to his sitting on Sites & Facilities Committee.

There is often a large amount of reading involved in the committees s/he sits on, which would take up a fair amount of time, but remember the Education Officer has more committees :)

As for negative campaigning, it can be done to great effect. However, it could come across as bitchy. Often it is wiser to try to avoid it as it could do you more damage then the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

&#231 wrote: »
    Also, I look sexy in my TN article ;)

True. I'd vote for you ;)

• Advertisement

Monsieur Wynne (of 'Old Man Wynne' fame) has put together this which has all the manifestoes and posters submitted for view (the posters are just the images you click on).

Careful now, some of them are over 2MB in size. You're probably better off right clicking each of them and saving, otherwise your browser might crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

When are the hustings?

JCR - Friday, 1pm.
    Dining Hall - Monday, 2pm.
    Trinity Hall - Monday, 7pm.

Boo to Dining Hall hustings not being last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

Myth wrote:
    Monsieur Wynne (of 'Old Man Wynne' fame) has put together this which has all the manifestoes and posters submitted for view (the posters are just the images you click on).

Careful now, some of them are over 2MB in size. You're probably better off right clicking each of them and saving, otherwise your browser might crash.
    Credit to Danger Bob and the EC for allowing me to place the manifestos online. (First time ever I believe)

I'll be going through the manifestos this evening and reducing their file sizes where possible to about a tenth of their current size...

Less of the 'Old Man'... I was born in 1979 and not the 1592 that the agent suggested!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Just one more question, what did arenea Ltd. do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Jager Man

Myth wrote:
    Record isn't online. Only the second issue was placed online.

As far as I know the deputy president is out of the country. Gone to america for the week, dont know why....

Myth wrote:
    As for negative campaigning, it can be done to great effect. However, it could come across as bitchy. Often it is wiser to try to avoid it as it could do you more damage then the other person.

Good advice - the last thing I'd want is for it to reflect badly on the other candidates in the race. And yet...curses. I hate having to make adult, mature choices.

Cheers osd. Very handy page there...
    SOL wrote:

...did I miss something or does this make no sense to anyone else?

Jager Man wrote:
    As far as I know the deputy president is out of the country. Gone to america for the week, dont know why....

Since what, the second edition?
    SOL wrote:

John Tracey has it on his manifesto. Google throws up nothing. Is it no longer a company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

"arenea" must be the wrong spelling. The Companies Registration Office (CRO) company search facility gives nothing for that name. The CRO has details of all Irish registered companies, trading and dissolved.
    http://www.cro.ie/search/
    There are however lots of companies with "arena" in the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Yup, I did that and also a search on the UK database and found nothing.

Jager Man wrote:

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this before.

What the **** is the Deputy President, a person charged with publicising the workings of the Students' Union, doing out of the country on holidays during elections? Are there any posters up highlighting the elections? What are the polling times? Where are the names of everyone running? How about telling first years that everyone can vote, that you don't have to be 18 (people have to be told this) to vote, that if you don't wish to vote you can vote RON? Where are the unbiased leaflets that he is required by both the constitution and a motion to produce giving information on the Coke Referendum, and the Irish Flag Referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

The Phil will be hosting its annual Student Union Presidential Debate, this year it will take more of a US Style debate with two candidates taking on each other directly. Andrew Byrne V John Tracey. Both will got an opportunity to lay out their plans and will then answer a series of well chosen questions.

The event takes place on Tuesday evening at 7:30pm in the GMB

All Welcome - Tiger Beer reception to follow

Just letting y'all know that it's going on, and not in a society spamming sense, but rather in a "the topic of this thread being about the elections" kinda sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh dear god, what was Una Faulkner thinking? Did she write her pamphlet with her feet? In the midst of an epileptic seizure? While drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Ed O'R seems to be alot more realistic than Barry Keane if I am honest. In the UR interviews Ed seems to have things well thought out for when he is Ents Office also.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

Pet wrote:
    Oh dear god, what was Una Faulkner thinking? Did she write her pamphlet with her feet? In the midst of an epileptic seizure? While drunk?
    She should have run on a free-condoms-for-all platform, with the slogan 'Get Faulked!'. But no :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

Ed O'R seems to be alot more realistic than Barry Keane if I am honest. In the UR interviews Ed seems to have things well thought out for when he is Ents Office also.
    The same Ed O'Reilly who seems blissfully oblivious of global warming, what with his ludicrous suggestion of gas-guzzling patio heaters for the identikit Bess-types who persist in glorified knacker drinking outside the Pav before they head up to the Palace of a Friday? Indeed, he does seem perfectly suited to what Ents has become: catering for the lowest common denominator with generic-catch-all-cheap-booze-n-moozak nights out. Hurrah.

What the **** is the Deputy President, a person charged with publicising the workings of the Students' Union, doing out of the country on holidays during elections? Are there any posters up highlighting the elections? What are the polling times? Where are the names of everyone running? How about telling first years that everyone can vote, that you don't have to be 18 (people have to be told this) to vote, that if you don't wish to vote you can vote RON? Where are the unbiased leaflets that he is required by both the constitution and a motion to produce giving information on the Coke Referendum, and the Irish Flag Referendum?

I'd say something, but the last time I commented on the work of Simon Hall I managed to get myself banned.

Yeah, I had that thought too (though it was more along the lines of letting mentally challenged howler monkeys proofread her manifesto before printing it). Eh, it's not like she's running for Dep Pres. You don't need good grammar to deal with health issues.
    The Phil will be hosting its annual Student Union Presidential Debate, this year it will take more of a US Style debate with two candidates taking on each other directly. Andrew Byrne V John Tracey. Both will got an opportunity to lay out their plans and will then answer a series of well chosen questions.

But what about Dave Lorigan, I ask you?

Is this the same Ed whose manifesto offers a section of drunken photos lifted from Bebo in the Record (which he has no control over), the Ed who wants a specific TCD Ents discount card (when any place that's willing to offer student discounts already does so), the Ed who thinks he can get a student bar in Luce Hall just a year after college closed the other student bar for being unprofitable and when college has pretty much already decided how to allocate the space, the Ed who offers "tents with flame throwers" at the Ball and the Ed who proudly offers his experience organising class parties after the fiasco that was last year's OC party? "Realistic" and "well thought out" aren't exactly the phrases that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

shay_562 wrote:

But what about Dave Lorigan, I ask you?

Is this the same Ed whose manifesto offers a section of drunken photos lifted from Bebo in the Record (which he has no control over), the Ed who wants a specific TCD Ents discount card (when any place that's willing to offer student discounts already does so), the Ed who thinks he can get a student bar in Luce Hall just a year after college closed the other student bar for being unprofitable and when college has pretty much already decided how to allocate the space, the Ed who offers "tents with flame throwers" at the Ball and the Ed who proudly offers his experience organising class parties after the fiasco that was last year's OC party? "Realistic" and "well thought out" aren't exactly the phrases that spring to mind.

Emm Niall, sweety, there should be a bar in Luce hall by the time it becomes the student center, it's one of the things the union has been working on, so Ed isn't that unrealistic in that sense. He's just stating the obvious.

And I think Dave Lorigan is begining to pick up some votes on the basis of being a nice guy who hasn't become a shadow of a person as a result of having their soul consumed by years of hackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

The same Ed O'Reilly who seems blissfully oblivious of global warming, what with his ludicrous suggestion of gas-guzzling patio heaters for the identikit Bess-types who persist in glorified knacker drinking outside the Pav before they head up to the Palace of a Friday? Indeed, he does seem perfectly suited to what Ents has become: catering for the lowest common denominator with generic-catch-all-cheap-booze-n-moozak nights out. Hurrah.

Thank you for that concise and accurate synthesis. I know who I WON'T be voting for. The guy's manifesto can basically be summed up as "Laaads, getting drunk is savage. Yay."

Emm Niall, sweety, there should be a bar in Luce hall by the time it becomes the student center, it's one of the things the union has been working on, so Ed isn't that unrealistic in that sense. He's just stating the obvious.

To be fair, that doesn't exactly stand in his favour; instead, it means one of his main campaign promises is something that'll happen anyway that he's trying to take credit for in advance. Nice guy. And I stand by the rest (seriously, the "Oh my gawd, guys, let's, like, put photos of us being, like, really drunk and **** in the Record! It'll be, like, tote funny?!" thing just made me want to smack him).
    The guy's manifesto can basically be summed up as "Laaads, getting drunk is savage. Yay."

I don't so much hold the cheap drinks/getting drunk stuff against him; the primary job of an Ents officer is to ensure that people are frequently merry. It's more that he only seems to care about himself and people who are exactly like him getting drunk - I'm genuinely worried that, if he gets elected, every SU night next year will be centred around Citibar. And while it isn't all that bad (certainly, I've been to worse places in my life), I can see getting sick of it pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

shay_562 wrote:
    I don't so much hold the cheap drinks/getting drunk stuff against him; the primary job of an Ents officer is to ensure that people are frequently merry. It's more that he only seems to care about himself and people who are exactly like him getting drunk - I'm genuinely worried that, if he gets elected, every SU night next year will be centred around Citibar. And while it isn't all that bad (certainly, I've been to worse places in my life), I can see getting sick of it pretty quickly.

shay ed is a very fair guy and has very successfully held his reign as ents officer is halls this year. he is a guy who sticks to his word, if he promises to do something he will and that is exactly what his campaign is about.

as regards citibar, all i have to say is that he moved up from home for 6 weeks before everyone started back at college again, so that he could get his links and make more contacts so that he could help both us on jcr and this years current su. he spent 6 weeks getting paid nothing sleeping on ppl's couches and floors simply so that he could make a name for himself amongst club reps and as a result of this one of the successes was citibar, yes so now most of his attention goes on that as opposes to other contacts he made during summer but so what, citibar's reopening coencided with us going back to college end of september beginning of october and before this i had never heard of the place. tuesday nite before was never a night to go out and now students from every college in dublin are talking about it. this not success and dedication no?

and by no means are his sole interests in just those who love the cheap drink and to get absolutely mangled, he is just as interested in the smaller societies. he has plenty of brilliant ideas about open mic nights , comedy nights and battle of the band nights that he would all put up should he get ents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

shay_562 wrote:
    It's more that he only seems to care about himself and people who are exactly like him getting drunk

shay what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...I'm so glad i'm not in one of those angry races. Oh, and I'll be having someone to read through this and anything libellous will be removed. and can anyone posting after this post please insure that any posts made are not libellous, and based on proper basis of fact.

Thanks guys,

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

the student center
    I'm making a conscious decision not to vote for anyne who spells it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Google spell check gives out if I spell it the other way, and between Economics being Maths based, and political scientists being incapable of writing coherent English, my command of the English language is becoming a little bit mangled.

But then again I don't need votes.

Advertisement