Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Affordable housing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭macy10

hey Cherie Amour,
    When were you provisionally approved and have you gotten your house/apt. yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Provisional Approval August 2006
    Got place and Final Approval January 2007
    Buying now!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Congrats Cherie

Were you on a "local list"? I too was approved at the end of August, but I dont live in Fingal :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Same as me John Jay - approved end of August but haven't heard a sausage apart from one letter that I reckon went to everyone for the houses in Flemington - I didn't even get to view there were so many people before me.

Getting disheartened now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

Dont lose heart, when i viewed flemington i was put on a cancellation list...was only called up then cos about 10 people who had reserved ended up cancelling due to finances not being in order/changing their minds etc so thats the only reason I ended up getting one..I was not on a local list. I was approved at beginning of August, so it wont be long now suzy and John jay...if you are not fussy as to where you live, you should get an offer any day now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

Congrats CherieAmour,

Not sure if this is the correct thread , but have final loan for apartment in Citygate - through Fingal- in a few days and am wondering about the following .

*What do I have to sign for at final interview , can I take the details home with me and make a decision there and return ?

*When do you get the keys?

*Do I need to get a Surveyor/ Surveyors report?

*Would you reccomend getting someone to do a snag list / do surveyors do snag lists/ or to do it yourself?

*Does anyone who has bought in Citygate through the scheme know what builder / foreman I will be handing my snaglist to and if so whats he like ?
    *I'm my very short viewing, I noticed that the floors were not solid and made from some sort of composite cement board, how does this affect sound levels? (Is it within building regs)

Any info much appreciated , Cheers.

Thanks! Well done on getting to the final interview stage!!

*What do I have to sign for at final interview , can I take the details home with me and make a decision there and return ?

You bring all of the requested documentation with you including your booking deposit. The person will probably discuss with you what they are prepared to loan you and go through the repayments based on the different mortgage periods and rates. The only decisions you have to make are whether or not you are going to engage your own solicitor or use theirs, if you are going for a 25 or 30 year mortgage and if you want to pay your loan at a fixed or variable rate. All of those decisions are up to you and it would be good for you to have thought about all 3 before you go. There is nothing that you should need to take home with you to be honest, but if there's anything you don't feel comfortable about, don't hesitate to query it!!!!!!!!!!!

*When do you get the keys?

*Would you reccomend getting someone to do a snag list / do surveyors do snag lists/ or to do it yourself?

*Do I need to get a Surveyor/ Surveyors report?

You must wait to get the call telling you that you have been approved (they'll tell you when you are likely to hear). Then you must arrange a snag on the property. I don't like to make recommendations to people because I'd worry that I was leading them in the wrong direction. It is up to you to engage someone or, if you feel confident enough, do it yourself. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself in case I missed anything serious. There are plenty of threads on here about snags, the do's and dont's and who is good and who isn't, and plenty of info on the net so have a browse.
    You don't get the keys until everything is fixed up and you have signed your contracts.

*Does anyone who has bought in Citygate through the scheme know what builder / foreman I will be handing my snaglist to and if so whats he like ?

I don't know anything about Citygate but I do know that it is Fingal who you will be handing the list back to.

Best of luck.

Thanks Cherie, thats a great help, hope it all doesn't take too long, I'm not great at waiting!

Hey Guys,
    Do any of you know where Fingal are offering properties these days?? and what are their available properties for the near future? Would like an idea of where's being offered so that when the time eventually comes i'll have an idea of where these places are...
    Thanks.

Hello macy10,

As far as I know the upcoming properties this year are gorsehill /holywell- swords, roncalli- sutton, and balrothery, also maybe beside pobail scoil neassain in baldoyle , call them and ask , also ceck ou the housing construction page on their site, hope this helps

• Advertisement

jgoodman05 wrote:
    Hello macy10,

As far as I know the upcoming properties this year are gorsehill /holywell- swords, roncalli- sutton, and balrothery, also maybe beside pobail scoil neassain in baldoyle , call them and ask , also ceck ou the housing construction page on their site, hope this helps

Ive heard Forest Road in Swords also mentioned, Fingal are constructing their own development for social/affordable housing.

Fingal's construction page is a bit out of date, it talks about properties for sale in 2004.
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/LivingInFingal/Housing/HousingConstruction/

Thanks guys,
    That's a great help. Their website lists a few places but these units were posted up in 2005 as far as I remember on the site and kinda afraid to ring them about anything after reading all the negative comments about their willingness to provide you with any other information than just be patient and wait your turn!! Also another Q.. say if you got a 2 bed unit or more do they allow you to rent this out to pay off mortgage??

Thanks again:D

macy10 wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    That's a great help. Their website lists a few places but these units were posted up in 2005 as far as I remember on the site and kinda afraid to ring them about anything after reading all the negative comments about their willingness to provide you with any other information than just be patient and wait your turn!! Also another Q.. say if you got a 2 bed unit or more do they allow you to rent this out to pay off mortgage??

Thanks again:D

The page is out of date, but at the same time I dont think those properties have been allocated yet (I dont know if they have even been built)

As for the rent-a-room - I dont know the answer to that. Some councils say yes, some say no. Some officials in councils say yes, while their colleagues say no. All I know is that the governments "rent a room scheme" (where you are allowed to rent out a room tax-free as long as its under cir. €650 pm), is just between you and the Revenue - so there is an element of "sure how will they find out" about it......

I meant to ask about Rent-a-Room during my interview, but I forgot. I'll try to slip it in to my Final Approval interview - if/when I get called for one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I noticed someone in Dun Saithne has already put their house up for sale -

http://myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=307015&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

Might give people an idea about what one of the affordable homes is like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

During my interview, I was told an extra room is mine to do what I want with. If I want to rent it out (which I don't actually!) I'm free to, according to the lady in Fingal.

Karyn wrote:
    During my interview, I was told an extra room is mine to do what I want with. If I want to rent it out (which I don't actually!) I'm free to, according to the lady in Fingal.

Nice to hear, Karyn - its always nice to have the option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Moonbeam wrote:

Perhaps the owner discovered their estate was ear-marked for affordable housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Moonbeam wrote:

The view of the front is making me seasick. Who thought that one horizontal and one vertical window would look good? I'd get seriously tired of my house squinting at me.

Nermal wrote:
    The view of the front is making me seasick. Who thought that one horizontal and one vertical window would look good? I'd get seriously tired of my house squinting at me.

http://www.basichomes.com/ should do the trick.

This looks nice.

Who needs a bleedin' architect anyways - all ye need to do is put the winda' in sideways missus.

ward_dodgy_builders.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Cantab. wrote:
    Perhaps the owner discovered their estate was ear-marked for affordable housing?

No the whole estate is afforable housing - none of it is private

• Advertisement

Cantab. wrote:

As per Suzy, they would have bought it from the council in the first place.

You've made your opinion on the Affordable Housing scheme very clear in the threads you have created or posted in on the subject. This one is useful and is actually helpful to those with genuine queries and contains information from those who have bought / are in the process of doing so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Cantab. wrote:

The whole estate is affordable housing so although I can agree to an extent why that could be a possibility it couldn't be the case.

Karyn/or anyone in the know,

Do you have to declare to the Council if you are renting a room i.e. is it any of their business if you are receiving rent from a lodger?? Or is it all at your discretion.. And is an affordable house actually an affordable mortgage?? What is th average/normal amount one should expect to pay?? This saving lark is testing enough!!

And is an affordable house actually an affordable mortgage?? What is th average/normal amount one should expect to pay?? This saving lark is testing enough!!

Agreed on the savings front :D

They will give you up to 95% of the price of the property depending on how much you earn, so that should give you some idea of the max you will get. I think you multiply that by the interest rate (whichever you go for, fixed or variable) so for e.g if the interest rate was 6% and they are willing to loan you €180,000, you would be paying back €1080 per month (€180 x 6) before tax relief is taken off (which they will do for you, I've no idea how much that works out at or how it is done) and including mortgage protection.

This is a guesstimate so anyone feel free to correct me on it!!!:)

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    No the whole estate is afforable housing - none of it is private

Oh well! So much for the grand social integration anti-ghettoisation plan that the government had. What was it, 20% of developments designated Social&Affordable. Nothing surprises me any more. Sigh.

Hey Charlies Angel,

Any word on your snag yet? Just trying to get an idea of how long on average it takes - I'm sure it depends on what is on the list, but I'm looking at some threads here where it is taking 4 - 6 weeks before the 2nd inspection can be carried out:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

Hey Cherie Amour,

Sorry for delay, was away for a few days. Phoned Fingal last week. They say they waiting for builders to get back to them..i snagged on 15th feb...they said 2 weeks but it will be 4 weeks this thurs...so...looking like 4-6 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Hi everyone,
    Was just wondering how long people waited for their interviews after sending off application, I sent mine at the begining of December and apart from a letter saing they had received my application I've heard nothing. Also how long after interview do you find out if you're approved? My brothers friend was interviewed in the begining of Jan and has heard nothing though he was told at interview he should be approved.

lily lou wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Was just wondering how long people waited for their interviews after sending off application, I

01/07/06 - I applied
    24/07/06 - Got reciept
    03/08/06 - Interview
    30/08/06 - Got my certificate of approval.

Since then - I have heard NOTHING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

That was quick to get your interview I've been waiting over 3 months now, I'm so impatient now that I've made the decision to move out I want it to happen yesterday:rolleyes: . I know people seem to be saying theres no point in ringing but I think I'll ring and just ask anyway, even if they just tell me how long the waiting list for interview is it'll put my mind at ease that my application hasn't been lost!!

Advertisement