Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illiterate number in Ireland - must be high given some posts!

Options
  • 16-01-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one in thinking that illiteracy in Ireland is growing. I'm not simply talking about people who can't read and write - I'm talking about people who can't spell normal words.

I'm asking due to the surprising number of posts I've seen on boards from what can only be described as monkeys with access to a keyboard.

Can anyone spell properly anymore? Are people getting more stupid? Is it just the young 18 year olds who think text-speak is in some way a language and therefore couldn't be arsed even try to be anything other than thick?

God it gets on my wick.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't and never will get text speak. My sister is a very bright girl who gets top grades in school and is hoping to do medicine. Yet everytime I get a message from her it's like somebody sat on their phone and sent a message by mistake. I mean, you have to actually go to more effort to deliberately misspell these words, or shorten them in ways that the t9 won't recognise it - why? Just, why do it? It makes you look like a gimp, it truly does, I despise people who use text speak.

I'm 19, by the way. Some of us young ones also adhere to the laws of grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Nice to hear someone is keeping the faith there Havok.

I personally don't use predictive text because I prefer to spend time on a text - too much communication these days, no matter how brief, is without any real meaning or thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

well i don't like t9 text thing i have never used it its a load of shight
    the only words id shorten in a text are things like u for you and 2morrow instead of tomorrow and thats about it i do use lol in a txt if something is very funny

on boards my spelling is either wrong or firefox has corrupted me to spelling things the american way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I would agree that text messaging is part of the blame. I'm 26 (*sigh* nearly 27) and I would be the first to admit that my spelling and grammer at times is terrible.

Text speak makes Jesus drown baby kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I seen this post. Then i done this reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I think you mean illiteracy (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illiteracy) not illiterate.

tuxy wrote:
    I seen this post. Then i done this reply.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Someone get me a shotgun!

By the way, anther thing that annoys me is the over-use of exclamation marks; one will do perfectly well thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

smokingman wrote:
    God it get's on my wick.....
    /pedant

It's "gets" :D

/end pedant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Click on the flag in my signature. It's a warm, happy and joyful place. :)

Don't be so quick to jump down everyone's throat. Some people are dyslexic, and some of those people don't use the Firefox spell checker extension (probably because they don't use Firefox).

Typos don't bother me either; but blatant spelling mistakes make the poster look like a gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sjones wrote:

How can i get access?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Surveys have suggested that the illiteracy rate (being unable to carry out basic tasks such as reading instructions and so on) is around 20% afaik. Can't find any sure sources online, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

smokingman wrote:
    anther thing that annoys me is the over-use of exclamation marks; one will do perfectly well thank you.

No wai!!!!

One exclamation mark could not possibly have expressed my shock at that statement.

I maintain a relatively respectable grammar when texting but would omit commas and apostrophies (sp?) and the little things like that. I give it a decent effort online but I am no poet.

/pedant

It's "gets" :D

/end pedant

Edited just for you Padraig ;)

Like sjones said, typos - no problem: blatent spelling mistakes - annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think you mean illiteracy (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illiteracy) not illiterate.
    That's exactly the comment I was going to make, haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

smokingman wrote:
    By the way, anther thing that annoys me is the over-use of exclamation marks; one will do perfectly well thank you.

That actually bothers me more than text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

smokingman wrote:
    Am I the only one in thinking that the lliteracy in Ireland is growing.
    I'm still not sure what 'lliteracy' means.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

sjones wrote:

*Clicks on the flag and sits on the edge of the seat in anticipation*
    Dutchology, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

This could be described as a warm, happy and joyful place, as there are no spelling or grammar mistakes... :)

*Requests access*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Oh lighten up, it's a message board, people are usually having a laugh or involves in some discussion to while away the work day, you can't expect people to spellcheck and proof read everything they write, it's not a job application letter or a university dissertation. I would of taught dat wuz obvious, your jus been overly pedantic

Yes, maybe my standards are too high but it annoys me to think that Ireland is becoming a land full of 15-year-old-american type morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Too much 3rd level education grr....

When I was younger I read plenty. Got a B2 honours English in the LC withoutn even looking at the stuff, I was just great at essay writing etc. When I got to college, there was an exam around the corner the whole time, and so I got out of the habit of reading. Id get a book, read half, then a big rake of exams would prevent me finishing. My standard of written English has certainly declined slightly since I left school and therefore stopped reading regularly, my vocab aint what it was when it comes to writing a letter.

Even in music, early 90s well read vocab armed lyricists like Biggie and Nas have been replaced by semi literate dopes from the durrty south :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

shane86 wrote:
    Even in music, early 90s well read vocab armed lyricists like Biggie and Nas have been replaced by semi literate dopes from the durrty south :rolleyes:

The early nineties also had 2 unlimited.

nuff said!!!! ;)

And as far as text speak goes, I'd say there's probably only one in ten people on these boards who have attempted to try text speak, and invariably it ends up with them being called an idiot and everybody chiming in with how much they hate text speak.

So no, I don't think illiteracy numbers are growing... If anything texting is making people take up reading who wouldn't have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you suggesting dyslexic people should be banned from posting? :D

Posts only annoy me if the bad spelling is really excessive or hinders my understanding. Sometimes the thread requires a fast reply and people can make mistakes.

Intentional text speak is another thing entirely, but as long as I can understand what somebody is saying, I don't make a fuss.
    smokingman wrote:
    Am I the only one in thinking that illiteracy in Ireland is growing. I'm not simply talking about people who can't read and write - I'm talking about people who can't spell normal words.

I'm asking due to the surprising number of posts I've seen on boards from what can only be described as monkeys with access to a keyboard.

Can anyone spell properly anymore? Are people getting more stupid? Is it just the young 18 year olds who think text-speak is in some way a language and therefore couldn't be arsed even try to be anything other than thick?

God it gets on my wick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think, especially online, it's more to do with laziness, and to a degree typos. People trying to type too fast and then not reading back what they have typed before hitting "Submit". I think most people can spell when they put the effort in, lots of us rely on spell check and such! It's easy to hit F7 before sending an e-mail. Pity it's not as easy to do when posting.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    you can't expect people to spellcheck and proof read everything they write,

Why not? Why should my eyes suffer because someone else is too lazy to spell correctly and prove that they're worth having a conversation with? If you type like a fool, you'll be considered a fool. I make absolutely no apologies for that.

It is mostly down to laziness that people don't correct their own spelling mistakes. Even worse now considering the fact that Mozilla now has an in-built spellchecker (that being said, it is a bit silly at times). Txt talk is one thing that annoys the hell out of me -- though be happy that it's not as bad here as in other places i.e. isn't there some country which is considering to allow it as part of their school curriculum (can't think of the country off the top of my head but I do remember reading an article on it somewhere).

What's even more frightening is the fact that txt talk is very much like Newspeak in George Orwell's 1984.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

isn't there some country which is considering to allow it as part of their school curriculum (can't think of the country off the top of my head but I do remember reading an article on it somewhere).

Think Its America. They can send a word to google sends them back the meaning of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

smokingman wrote:

You're taking the p!ss, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

smokingman wrote:

Was that a joke? :confused: (if so...:D, if not...:eek:)

I don't have a problem with it on a medium like boards.ie per se. Certain errors are however symptomatic of an inability of the user to spell or differentiate between similar sounding words. Take for example use of the words 'their', 'there' and 'they're', There are a huge number of users who do not seem to know or care about the differences and that is worrying to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Text speak annoys the hell out of me, I'm probably the only teenager that uses apostrophes in texts...

It's crazy how many people have little understanding of basic grammar and punctuation, it makes reading alot easier, who wants to read a huge post without paragraphs?

Advertisement