Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most Car Clamping completly illegal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

I am very interested to know if this claim is infact 100% correct. If anyone has any information on this i would love to see it, or point me in the right direction of any websites.
    My gripe is with the management companies who are appointing clampers to go into 'private' estates and clamp vehicles - no visitor parking left, no obstruction being caused to other vehicles, no danger posed to anyone/anything, no double yellow lines, not being parked on a path, etc etc - however, once u are not in a designated spot, you are 'illegally' parked.
    The clampers are obviously getting a lot of money doing this, so they are out in force. I know numberous estates here in Dublin who have this problem and belive me, i would be quite happy to get as much info on this as I can so i can be sure that i am entitled to park on the side of the street if i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭maidhc

mel123 wrote:
    The clampers are obviously getting a lot of money doing this, so they are out in force. I know numberous estates here in Dublin who have this problem and belive me, i would be quite happy to get as much info on this as I can so i can be sure that i am entitled to park on the side of the street if i want.

A management company is just a collective name for all the property owners. And the clampers are there by invitation.

Why not get a meeting of the property owners called. If the majority agree how the clamping should be carried out, then that will be final.

Good idea, thanks.

Also on this matter, I just have the question, if all this is 100% true, how are these companies allowed to operate in the first instance?? Would there be no laws for setting up this kind of company if they were not operating for the council?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cpoh1 wrote:
    To be honest with you, although mazdafari was more blatent in his attack, anan1 was just as petty, spiteful and malicious in his posts towards the op and deserved a ban too. After all he did ruin a decent thread.
    He didn't use the same level of offensive language!
    DrChoda wrote:
    So, when the OP gets back from their 'week long vaction from boards', I am curious if this applies to all 'privately' run car parks, not affiliated with council?
    Its not a boards vacation but merely a a motors vacation.

Now folks - stay on topic

mel123 wrote:
    Good idea, thanks.

Also on this matter, I just have the question, if all this is 100% true, how are these companies allowed to operate in the first instance?? Would there be no laws for setting up this kind of company if they were not operating for the council?

A clamping company isn't like a roving band of warriors. They are invited to clamp cars on private property by the owner of the property. The owner should then put clear signs saying "Unauthorised cars will be clamped" (or whatever is appropriate!). If a person parks, knowing their car to be unauthorised then the cannot really object to getting clamped.

However:

If there is no sign, or
    the sign is insufficient, or
    the parking rules are unclear, or
    the owner puts a note on the windscreen objecting to being clamped,

then the whole thing is (or may be) in dissarray, and the owner of a car may be in a position to sue for damages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Does that mean that if I have a notice on display in my car saying "The owner of this car does not consent to it being clamped", then legally the car can't be clamped?

I wonder if it would really work?

On a related note, several years ago in Galway a man was clamped on a city street by the company then doing the clamping for the city corporation. He took them to court and won - he was legally parked and they refused to remove it. He got a VERY genorous payout from them.

A couple of years ago, again in Galway, the clampers (different company this time, but again on contract to the corporation) refused to unclamp a car outside a doctors surgery in order for the owner of the car to rush his child to hospital. The gardai told the clampers to remove it, and they wouldn't. One of the gardai present ended up paying to have the clamp removed. This was the incident with led to the ultimate demise of clamping by Galway Corporation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fey! - I recall hearing that to be the case - if that notice is made visible then the clamper is trespassing or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    Fey! - I recall hearing that to be the case - if that notice is made visible then the clamper is trespassing or something
    Correct.

This has yet to be tested in an irish court though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

i once got clamped in the apartment complex where i live. was a banger of a car worth about €400 which i was no longer driving as i had bought another car, it was only to do me til i got something decent! i ended up parking it in a visitor spot for a few days til i could bring it to my parents house. ended up being clamped for being there too long even though there was no parking time limits displayed on signs. i tried to contact the management company to argue this and by the time i could get them on the phone the clamping bill was about 300! (was €85 per day and the management company was closed for a few days). i wasnt paying to have the clamp removed as i didnt really want the car end its value was about what i would have to pay. i contacted the management company 3/4 times to see what they would say and each time i was told they would get back to me. i got sick of it so just ignored it then. went on for about 2 months until i eventually owed them 4-5k! the management company called me and asked me if they removed the clamp free of charge would i move the car so i agreed!

Not saying this would always work but i think that time they realised that the space was move valueable than the money they were never going to get out of me!

I wonder if the clamping company in the OPs case would take a similar attitude. I doubt it somehow.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    A clamping company isn't like a roving band of warriors. They are invited to clamp cars on private property by the owner of the property. The owner should then put clear signs saying "Unauthorised cars will be clamped" (or whatever is appropriate!). If a person parks, knowing their car to be unauthorised then the cannot really object to getting clamped.

QUOTE]

But they have been invited by the management company to do this, not by me who owns my property, or anyone else who owns their property??

mel123 wrote:
    But they have been invited by the management company to do this, not by me who owns my property, or anyone else who owns their property??

You and the other property owners ARE the management company. It may be the management agents whom the management co. has retained to keep the communal areas in order are hiring the clampers. This would not be surprising, as most management agents are cowboys and probably have deals on the side with the clamping/security companies. Just get the other property owners to make it clear that clamping is only permitted in extreme circumstances/never and that should be it.

The issue of the note on the windscreen has never been tested, and may not work in an Irish court, but it would have a good chance of succeeding I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well I just got clamped twice in two days in Dublin City Centre:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

maidhc wrote:
    Apart from parking in a disabled space, there is nothing immoral about parking illegally!
    Fire brigade access? Fire Escape? Ambulance bay? Goods delivery? Dangerous parking? Defrauding of parking fees?
    Parking "illegally" in a university carpark is not illegal, immoral, or anything else.
    Does the university have the right to make bye-laws? And breaching those bye-laws might be an offence?
    Fey! wrote:
    A couple of years ago, again in Galway, the clampers (different company this time, but again on contract to the corporation) refused to unclamp a car outside a doctors surgery in order for the owner of the car to rush his child to hospital. The gardai told the clampers to remove it, and they wouldn't. One of the gardai present ended up paying to have the clamp removed. This was the incident with led to the ultimate demise of clamping by Galway Corporation.
    If you need to rush a child to hospital, call an ambulance or hell, put them in hte back of a garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

err what?

"its a private car-park open to the public and therefore isnt covered by any traffic laws and they cant legally touch your property- They can keep it detained sure,maybe do you for trespassing but not clamp it"

Thats bizarre: ok.....
    1) Its a private car-park open to the public ??????????? (hmmm Private but Public) go on....
    2) They can keep it detained sure (what the car?? thought they cant touch it? then how detain it?)
    3) Maybe do you for trespassing but not clamp it ????????
    Do you for tresspassing what on a private carpark OPEN TO THE PUBLIC??

Thanks for the Clamp removal though! :D

1) Its a private car-park open to the public ??????????? (hmmm Private but Public) go on....
    The land may be private, but the public or a portion thereof, may have access to it, e.g. a supermarket carpark.
    2) They can keep it detained sure (what the car?? thought they cant touch it? then how detain it?)
    They could lock the gate.
    3) Maybe do you for trespassing but not clamp it ????????
    They could sue for trespass or seek a prosecution for trespass.
    Do you for tresspassing what on a private carpark OPEN TO THE PUBLIC??
    "Public" can exclude certain people, e.g. a college could state that a car park is for staff and students only, anyone else would be trespassing. Likewise a public house, nominally open to all, can bar certain individuals for unacceptable behavior.

Victor wrote:
    The land may be private, but the public or a portion thereof, may have access to it, e.g. a supermarket carpark.
    Does the provisions of the Road Traffic Act apply to private places that the public have access to such as your example a supermarket carpark?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Does the provisions of the Road Traffic Act apply to private places that the public have access to such as your example a supermarket carpark?
    Road Traffic Acts, generally yes. The Roads Act and Road Transport Act, generally no. In other words if you are driving dangerously in a supermarket car park, the garda can prosecute you.

Victor wrote:
    Fire brigade access? Fire Escape? Ambulance bay? Goods delivery? Dangerous parking? Defrauding of parking fees?

Breaking a law is not by itself immoral. Blocking a goods delivery truck certainly isn't! Similarly upholding the law is not necessarily moral, if the law is not of a moral quality to begin with... e.g. the law of the Third Reich.
    Victor wrote:
    If you need to rush a child to hospital, call an ambulance or hell, put them in hte back of a garda car.

Clamping a car in the situation referred to IS immoral (IMO... morality is subjective!) Are you honestly saying enforcement of a parking law (or any law tbh) is worth the slightest risk to the health or wellbeing of a child?

My goodness, I feel very profound.

maidhc wrote:
    Breaking a law is not by itself immoral. Blocking a goods delivery truck certainly isn't! Similarly upholding the law is not necessarily moral, if the law is not of a moral quality to begin with... e.g. the law of the Third Reich.
    This is parking enforcement, not the Holocaust.
    Clamping a car in the situation referred to IS immoral (IMO... morality is subjective!)
    Actually, the OP doesn't go intot he details of his parking other than it was clamped in WIT.
    Are you honestly saying enforcement of a parking law (or any law tbh) is worth the slightest risk to the health or wellbeing of a child?
    Yes. Otherwise we have chaos. Look at parking in Dublin City Centre before and after clamping was introduced.
    My goodness, I feel very profound.
    Its OK, its misplaced. Perfectly normal.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

Everyone knows that the management companies are owned by the owners AFTER it has been handed over by the developers. Prior to this, the management company, without the consent of the owners and under the direction of the developers, can "invite" the clampers in.

Victor wrote:
    This is parking enforcement, not the Holocaust.

Most people can draw parallels between the Gestapo and the Clampers! :)

Victor wrote:
    Yes. Otherwise we have chaos. Look at parking in Dublin City Centre before and after clamping was introduced.

I don't mean the fear of poor johnny getting wet and catching a cold, but something more serious, as Fey refers to.

I think though (by and large) local authorities are reasonably moderate in how they clamp cars, and for the most part it is justified. They seem to respond to public criticism, albeit slowly. However private lads are operating in a regulatory vacuum, and as such are a law unto themselves, that is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK the law with private clampers is that it is illegal for them to remove the use of your vehicle by clamping, even if you are parked illegally, as we have a constitutional right to our properity. But it is also illegal for you to remove their properity or damage it. So if you can get the clamp off without damaging it they can't touch you.

There was a thread here a long time ago, did a quick search but couldn't find it, about a person who was clamped in work and got their car out using a similar method to the OP. They where told they couldn't part in the car part again and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

as far as i know if you don.t damage it - which is hard to cut anyway, you can't get in too ouch trouble. If you can get enough slack on the chain, take the wheel off. That gets enough room. Then just unscrew a few things- wishbone mayb? And the chain slips off. Then all you do is get a clamp yourself and put it on your wheel so the clampers figure its done already. Can't remember what movie thats in

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

as far as i know if you don.t damage it - which is hard to cut anyway, you can't get in too ouch trouble. If you can get enough slack on the chain, take the wheel off. That gets enough room. Then just unscrew a few things- wishbone mayb? And the chain slips off. Then all you do is get a clamp yourself and put it on your wheel so the clampers figure its done already. Can't remember what movie thats in
    You relise that this thread is almost 3 years old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

Talk about raising the dead..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Ah FFS... I goto look at dates before I read through threads :/ that was a wast of 5 min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

wow... necroticism at its best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Max Power1 wrote: »
    wow... necroticism at its best!

You mean necromancy, right? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread closed cos 3 years old.

aisling.laura, feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue this discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement