Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick Really THAT bad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

another shooting last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0118/limerick.html

Check the side stories, that makes it 4 in a week, and theyre only the reported shootings, Id imagine a few didnt involve the cops.

Can anyone think of an equivalent period in one particular area of Dublin? Face it, Limerick has a small hardcore of undoubtedtly the most violent people in this country (barring maybe some Nordies).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

shane86 wrote:
    Can anyone think of an equivalent period in one particular area of Dublin? Face it, Limerick has a small hardcore of undoubtedtly the most violent people in this country (barring maybe some Nordies).

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/feb2006/copsstandoff2.jpg

'Nuff said

Im not sure you can compare a drunken scuffle between cops and wannabe ra men with a city where feuds have broken out from playground rows and children have been deliberately targeted on several occasions.

Remember, all in small areas of a town with under 90,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

shane86 wrote:
    Im not sure you can compare a drunken scuffle between cops and wannabe ra men with a city where feuds have broken out from playground rows and children have been deliberately targeted on several occasions.

Remember, all in small areas of a town with under 90,000 people.

Dont be a tool.

The playground row is a stupid rumour, its crime based not "you did this to me years ago, Im gonna get you" based. Drugs man.

The car was firebombed, I honestly dont think the children were deliberatly targeted.

You seem to take the media at face value. A stupid mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Do you know what the funniest thing about Limerick is? Everday people just get one with the lives and don't get attacked or beaten or mugged.

It's crazy, i know!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Everyone is like "ah jaysus another shooting in limerick never go there blah blah blah", tbh all these shootings happen in these really disadvantaged areas, and ive been in Limerick all my life and these areas are easily avoidable, like every city there are disadvantaged areas, you just have to know where not to go. Simple really. I love living in Limerick. Ill be moving to dublin for college after the leaving cert but that is just because my preferred course is up there. What i would like in the future is to settle down in Limerick, I love the city to bits, the local people are great, we are very together and the more abuse we get from the Dublin media, the stronger we all get tbh, I think any Limerick native will tell you that.

Also ive been browsing through this thread and everyone who has been in Limerick for at least a couple of months has liked the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

shane86 wrote:

Check the side stories, that makes it 4 in a week, and theyre only the reported shootings, Id imagine a few didnt involve the cops.

Shane, I don't think any area in Dublin, despite some being absolutely riddled with scum, has things like that going on. 4 reported shootings in a week is ridiculous. Especially for a town with only 90,000 people. I don't care how the folk of Limerick will try to defend that. I can't even think of an area in Dublin that could even compare to that.
    Jumpy wrote:
    I honestly dont think the children were deliberatly targeted.

Perhaps not, but how many more have to be affected by it for your mind to change on the matter?
    shane86 wrote:
    Im not sure you can compare a drunken scuffle between cops and wannabe ra men with a city where feuds have broken out from playground rows

Wouldn't worry about it Shane tbh, as I've said before comparing Limerick to Dublin is ridiculous. How about comparing it to another town with 90,000 people.

Cornbb: I think we all know what went on that day. The Love Ulster crowd came down to piss people off, the scumbags from this city who for some reason love the IRA got off their arses and gave the Ulster crowd the trouble they were looking for. I'm not particularly ashamed of what happened, I sure as hell don't support those who participated in it but it was inevitable that there was going to be war that day. It'd be like sending a bunch of Republicans over to London to "march". Anyway, comparing that incident to whats happened in Limerick is both futile and ridiculous.

Anyway Shane, good luck with it, I'm pretty much done with this thread.

Quiet you, or I'll dazzle you with my ability to multiply and add numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rushian

BTW, if Limericks population multiplied sixteen times to match Dublins, and the rate of crime grew proportionally, 16x6,000 = 96,000, with Dublins only being 44,000 I think we can clearly see thats over two times the amount of crimes. I did say if it magically grew overnight also, so Dublins crime rate would remain as is. End of, have a nice evening.

PER HEAD OF POPULATION. Good lord man..you are just multiplying the number of crimes in Limerick by 16. God help us all

• Advertisement

rushian wrote:
    PER HEAD OF POPULATION. Good lord man..you are just multiplying the number of crimes in Limerick by 16. God help us all
    Lol, welcome to two days ago. Try to keep up.

rb_ie wrote:
    Lol, welcome to two days ago. Try to keep up.

Oh yes sorry, my tardiness more than makes up for your mathematical ability :rolleyes:

rushian wrote:
    Oh yes sorry, my tardiness more than makes up for your mathematical ability :rolleyes:
    My maths are fine thanks, you'll notice that all the sums were correct. I've a user on ignore so missed a few key points throughout the thread, but regardless, I don't really care and I especially don't care what you think.

I preferred you when you were a non-posting lurker tbh.

rb_ie wrote:
    My maths are fine thanks, you'll notice that all the sums were correct. I've a user on ignore so missed a few key points throughout the thread, but regardless, I don't really care and I especially don't care what you think.

You dont seem to care what anyone thinks...and for someone who "doesn't care" you have posted plenty of times on the subject. you seemed to stop caring when the major flaws in your arguement were pointed out by several people. :D

I dont really post unless i'm interested in the subject or I have something intelligent to say. pity the same cannot be said for you

rushian wrote:
    You dont seem to care what anyone thinks...and for someone who "doesn't care" you have posted plenty of times on the subject. you seemed to stop caring when the major flaws in your arguement were pointed out by several people. :D

I dont really post unless i'm interested in the subject or I have something intelligent to say. pity the same cannot be said for you
    No no, theres plenty of users on Boards who's opinions I value and am genuinely interested in what they have to say, but there are quite a few I couldn't give two f*cks what they have to say, especially people who appear from nowhere and pull me up on an error which was made days ago and is long since passed.

If you're going to post solely to stirr shít I'd suggest you return to your former status of reader and non-poster.

BTW: So you've only had something intelligent to say 3 times in almost 2 years?LOL (I ignored the 2 other posts of yours).

Re-edit: You're classifying this and this as intelligent contributions to the relevant threads? That alone gets another LOL from me.

Sorry dude, i didn't know you only listened to people who post a lot.
    by the way..thats the first time you said you made an error

rushian wrote:
    Sorry dude, i didn't know you only listened to people who post a lot.
    by the way..thats the first time you said you made an error
    No no, I'll read any post/listen to any poster who actually has something to say, not just re-appear from the background to have a shot at me.

I'm absolutely flattered that you've taken the time to read all my posts btw.

rb_ie wrote:
    No no, I'll read any post/listen to any poster who actually has something to say, not just re-appear from the background to have a shot at me.

I'm absolutely flattered that you've taken the time to read all my posts btw.

Not all, just the ones on this thread. plus I'm not "taking a shot" at you, just disagreeing. :)

You seem to be having a difficult time with this. I have only read you posts on this thread but you seem to have done a background check on me
    There are a couple of reasons for the few posts

1: i have recently started a job which is fairly laid back so i have more time on my hands

2: people with your attitude to other people that do not have the thousands of posts like you do.
    You're so much better than me...there does that boost your already overinflated ego

And what was your problem with those posts. not your taste in music eh. I'm sure take that have a new single coming soon. you'll be delighted i'm sure

rushian wrote:
    You seem to be having a difficult time with this. I have only read you posts on this thread but you seem to have done a background check on me
    There are a couple of reasons for the few posts

1: i have recently started a job which is fairly laid back so i have more time on my hands

2: people with your attitude to other people that do not have the thousands of posts like you do.
    You're so much better than me...there does that boost your already overinflated ego

And what was your problem with those posts. not your taste in music eh. I'm sure take that have a new single coming soon. you'll be delighted i'm sure
    Its not your postcount that affects my perception or attitude towards you, its your attitude.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how you know what my attitude is-you seem to be basing it on the fact that a) I disagreed with you and b) i did it a couple of days after you posted

Lighten up rb. I'm a nice guy really :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

rb_ie wrote:

Your maths were fine, pity you didn't understand the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

shane86 wrote:

Jesus Christ, do ye idiots even read other peoples posts here?!
    Let me remind you.
    On the same day that the shooting in Clare took place, there were three people shot in Dublin. Well two people actually hit by bullets, and one injured by the shards of glass when his window was shot in!
    One man was shot in the leg, another shot in the chest.
    There was at least one other shooting incident in Dublin, that same day, where nobody was injured.
    Not one of theses attacks were mentioned on the RTÉ or TV3 news, while the incident in Clare, where nobody was actually hit by bullets, was on both news broadcasts!
    Does that sound like fair news broadcasting to you?
    Two people shot in Dublin doesn't get a mention, while somebody shot at outside of Limerick gets news time!

'Nuff said!

That was four shooting incidents in Dublin city in one day!!!!!

P.S: That shooting incident yesterday, wasn't an attack.
    The gun went off in his pocket, and he literally shot himself in the leg, much like you have just done!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Well, this thread took a predictable turn. People who have spent time in Limerick have given a mostly positive review, a guy who can neither read or add disagrees.

Anyhow, imo, Limerick is a good spot, but it is behind the other 3 cities and is playing catch-up. It's city centre is a building site, and while it might look great in 5 years, currently it's a work in progress. I think the nightlife is pretty good, with a few new clubs opening soon that too is improving. It has the best sports facilities of any of the 3 smaller cities.

Now, obviously there is a crime problem, but the problem isn't random. If you aren't a scumbag you aren't going to encounter the fueds, apart from that, it is actually as safe as either Cork or Galway, and a lot safer than Dublin.

Imo, Cork and Galway are both ahead of Limerick in terms of making the cities more user-friendly, but Limerick is fine in itself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That was four shooting incidents in Dublin city in one day!!!!!

They won't read the posts that prove their opinions to be wrong.

iguana wrote:
    They won't read the posts that prove their opinions to be wrong.

Oh jesus

Dublins largest suburbs (Clondalkin, Blanch, Tallaght) have roughly the same pop each as Limerick, give or take. All have a reputation. What me and rb were saying was we cant recall such a wave of shootings in any of these areas in recent years. Id assume its caused by alot of those who were locked up around the time of the Keane killing getting released.

Comparing 4 shootings in a city of 1.3 million to 4 in a city of 90,000? Its a bit like comparing 3000 deaths in 30 years in the North with 3000 plus per month in Iraq. Not in the same ballpark

shane86 wrote:

Can anyone think of an equivalent period in one particular area of Dublin?
    On the same day that the shooting in Clare took place, there were three people shot in Dublin. Well two people actually hit by bullets, and one injured by the shards of glass when his window was shot in!
    One man was shot in the leg, another shot in the chest.
    There was at least one other shooting incident in Dublin, that same day, where nobody was injured.

He called your bluff on that one, live with it.

You can infer something from statistics (which have repeatedly shown Dublin's crime problem to vastly overshadow Limerick's), and you can infer something from experience (and dozens of people who've LIVED in Limerick have posted here showing their support for the OP going to college there) but there's no way you can infer anything reflective of Limerick from heresay, tabloid headlines, or a single page on the RTÉ website.

You won't accept the statistics and you won't accept the word of all these people who know Limerick and like it. Are you predjudiced by any chance?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

shane86 wrote:
    Comparing 4 shootings in a city of 1.3 million to 4 in a city of 90,000? Its a bit like comparing 3000 deaths in 30 years in the North with 3000 plus per month in Iraq. Not in the same ballpark

1) Dublin city has a population of little over half a million. I assume you are referring to the city and county, though the cso figure is only 1,186,159. Limerick city and county has a population of 183,863.
    shane86 wrote:
    Can anyone think of an equivalent period in one particular area of Dublin?

2) You actually asked people on this thread to make the comparison. Then when your assumptions were blown spectacularly out of the water your response was to ridicule the poster who answered your question and saying his comparison was ridiculous.

3) You are referring to one week in isolation, what about all the weeks and months where there is no gun crime? But if you can take facts in isolation so can I:

So as Dublin's population is 6.45 times that of Limerick and 1 week is 7 times the amount of days as 1 day then Dublin still has a higher proportional incidence of gun crime than Limerick.

And

4) Perhaps you are a bad at math as rb, (and I guess it is as in the last few days you invented an extra 100,000 people above your original over-estimate of Dublin's population) but Dublin's population is 6.45 times that of Limerick's. Not 360 times, which is the difference between one month and 30 years. The entire county of Dublin would have to have a population of 468,000,000, roughly half the population of China, in order for your analogy to make any sense.

Though if it did, it would certainly be worthy of rb's claim that it is a massive European capital.:D

And there'd be a thriving trade in soylent green.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I just read all 9 pages of this thread. I mostly just laughed at how badly rb_ie ****ed up. Man he got his ass handed to him.
    So I thought, at least thats one unthoughtout idiotic post down.
    But then he just kept posting.
    And then I laughed again....
    And yet again more people caught him out in his nonsense.
    And then he went racially abusing a passing Russian....
    And more people laughed again.
    And amidst this sorry story of why rb_ie should just have zipped it, I completely and totally lost what I was trying to say. I guess Cornbb and Iguana have mine and limerick's back, and I'm with them.
    That's 3 people rb. 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

shane86 wrote:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2006/1214/1165222030120.html

Advertisement