Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DNS servers having trouble?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

h2s wrote:
    Yes there is strange stuff going on today. Google is presenting a bit of a problem. I pinged a few locations and google can up as unreachable, however a few seconds later I was on the google.ie home page. Other sites such as the BBC, wikipedia, snapfiles, etc are zipping along nicely. The eircom.net seems to be up again.

I give up -- for now... time for a walk in the excellent Dublin weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Yet another reason why the Irish government should remove its not so subtle PRO EIRCOM ban on loop unbundling, by reducing the cost of unbundling phone lines to French or Italian levels.

The entire country is at the mercy of eircom – no matter who sends you your broadband invoice every month – unless you are in the tiny minority who have loop unbundling. If Eircom has a problem, the entire country has a problem.

This guy http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Corporate+Units/Minister/ is ultimately responsible for today’s service problems. While he is a very nice guy, he must bite the bullet and put eircom out of business if it continues to refuse to facilitate totally free loop unbundling at realistic costs for ISPs. As required by EU directives etc. If nothing else, eircom's monopoly must be eliminated to provide service redundancy and an infrastructure capable of dealing with the requirements of the 21st century.

.probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 legalimmigrant

It's not DNS. They've got a router at 83.71.112.254 which is ****ed - clearly it's responsible for sending traffic one way or the other depending on network destination, but at least one of those 'streets' has vanished.

Metafilter.com, scripting.com, and maps.google.com are (17:18) currently unroutable, but the 'broken' destinations have been changing during the day which implies either that they're messing with it, or that it's a screwed bit of hardware failing randomly.

I wasn't able to reach mail.python.org all day until 3 minutes ago, for example.

Obviously, "support open on Saturday" Eircom is bollocks - there's clearly nobody home and if you choose a business service when calling them they're admitting as much. Tell the phone system you're a home user and it just sticks you in the hold loop forever.

If you can find the phone number, that is. Home.eircom.net was also unroutable earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Heh. This on top of sending me a bill for 120 for a months rental plus 2 meg broadband. I don't actually use the phone at all. It's not even plugged in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Zab wrote:
    I just noticed you said since Monday. I doubt your mail problem is connected to the topic of this thread.

Do you use Eircom webmail or POP? Is this just the mails to @phantom.ie? I know they at least used to be on hosting365, so this may not be Eircom's problem at all.

POP, but it is only emails sent from my eircom address that are not getting through, both my gmail and Yahoo! addresses are having no problem.

Of cause I can't use them right now because I keep getting timed out, but when I can access them they are sending to Phantom no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if they gave out some info on the website regarding any problems so that half of us don't spend the morning scratching around wondering if it is a problem with our own equipment.

Bottom line is that communication is the problem here between Eircom and the Customer, they will tell you F**k all and hop you go away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Affecting my VPN here too, as its Eircom-provided. Trace's dying at the same router as shown above.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

As other posters above have said its not a DNS problem, does anyone know how many providers are affected by this?

A DNS lookup on some of the affected IP's 83.71.112.* shows they belong to Eircom, would be nice too see what ISP's rely on these routers, see how bad the Irish internet situation is, that one companys routers effectively screw up the whole countries connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah i cant access alot of sites....Google for example!!!!

Pacifico wrote:
    Yeah i cant access alot of sites....Google for example!!!!
    Stop whinging! Grow up! Everyone who lives in infrastructurally deprived, incompetent, rip-off eircom monopoly dominated Ireland has google bookmarked at:

http://64.233.161.99/

.probe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

That didn't work either!

Using the DNS servers at http://www.opendns.com/ now. working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

probe wrote:
    Yet another reason why the Irish government should remove its not so subtle PRO EIRCOM ban on loop unbundling, by reducing the cost of unbundling phone lines to French or Italian levels.

The entire country is at the mercy of eircom – no matter who sends you your broadband invoice every month – unless you are in the tiny minority who have loop unbundling. If Eircom has a problem, the entire country has a problem.

This guy http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Corporate+Units/Minister/ is ultimately responsible for today’s service problems. While he is a very nice guy, he must bite the bullet and put eircom out of business if it continues to refuse to facilitate totally free loop unbundling at realistic costs for ISPs. As required by EU directives etc. If nothing else, eircom's monopoly must be eliminated to provide service redundancy and an infrastructure capable of dealing with the requirements of the 21st century.

.probe

so are all DSL customers experiencing this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Mine has been out all day, haven't been able to get to gmail, very frustrating as I need to get something from my inbox earlier so I could go up the country, but that was out!!

This better be fixed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

having the same problem in with eircom dsl, in south dublin cant access https://www.securesuite.co.uk/rbs/registration/welcome.jsp?partner=adam google.ie very slow too. Will have to try open dns

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been told their link to KPNTelia is down, and that router that trace's are dying at is the router that carries that link. At least thats what they've told our VPN guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Seems to be affecting BT and NTL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

MYOB wrote:
    Been told their link to KPNTelia is down, and that router that trace's are dying at is the router that carries that link. At least thats what they've told our VPN guy.

Thanks MYOB for the info - it's very annoying that Eircom don't post (a) that there is a problem (b) what the problem is so technically minded people can figure out how to avoid it.

I thought it was DNS issue after reading this thread but Open DNS didn't help me. It also looks to me like a routing issue. I'm able to access HTTP websites fine by using my college proxy (which is located in Ireland and thus not on the opposite end of the KPN link). While link failures are to be expected I'm curious why they're not re-routing traffic either manually or via BGP or similar routing protocol.

Either way, hope they fix it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

i think im having the same prob, can not get onto rte.ie but can get on to every other web site in the world and typical its the one i need to get !! any ideas - im with smart and dont understand all the roter talk !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

marchanlon wrote:
    Thanks MYOB for the info - it's very annoying that Eircom don't post (a) that there is a problem (b) what the problem is so technically minded people can figure out how to avoid it.

I thought it was DNS issue after reading this thread but Open DNS didn't help me. It also looks to me like a routing issue. I'm able to access HTTP websites fine by using my college proxy (which is located in Ireland and thus not on the opposite end of the KPN link). While link failures are to be expected I'm curious why they're not re-routing traffic either manually or via BGP or similar routing protocol.

Either way, hope they fix it soon.

Good evening,
    Looks like something is working again, but on the route below DNS seems not be the resolving any hops. However, for me Google is up (very slow).

C:\Documents and Settings\Joe>tracert www.google.ie

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [209.85.129.104]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms backup-link.newgrove.ie [192.168.10.254]
    2 19 ms 10 ms 11 ms b-ras1.prp.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.26]
    3 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 83.71.112.58
    4 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms 83.71.112.254
    5 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms 195.66.226.125
    6 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms 72.14.238.242
    7 29 ms 29 ms 27 ms 216.239.43.91
    8 33 ms 34 ms 34 ms 72.14.232.209
    9 77 ms 45 ms 60 ms 72.14.238.118
    10 36 ms 35 ms 36 ms 72.14.233.210
    11 34 ms 35 ms 35 ms 72.14.232.201
    12 34 ms 46 ms 41 ms 72.14.233.210
    13 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms fk-in-f104.google.com [209.85.129.104]

Trace complete.

Is everyone else still more or less the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

eolhc wrote:
    having the same problem in with eircom dsl, in south dublin cant access https://www.securesuite.co.uk/rbs/registration/welcome.jsp?partner=adam google.ie very slow too. Will have to try open dns

opendns sorted the problem for me

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote:
    There is no excuse for this. Eircom should have alternative routes i.e. have multiple connections with several tier 1 networks. Rather than using backstreet operators!

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Things seem to be back to normal and running at full speed for me... For now.

event wrote:
    so are all DSL customers experiencing this issue?
    Of course. There is only one DSL service provider in Ireland. eircom. (aside from a handful of subscribers who have loop unbundling).

The guys at the Indo could photocopy the Irish Times every day and claim that you have a choice of newspapers. They might even sell it for 20% less. But if the Times's printing press broke down, there would be no "indo" either!

Loop unbundling is vital. The Irish government is one of the few in the EU that does everything possible to prevent LLU. One wonders why?

.probe

Pacifico wrote:
    That didn't work either!

Using the DNS servers at http://www.opendns.com/ now. working fine
    If the google IP number didn't work for you - you are experiencing more than the general eircom DNS problem.

Or the eircom broadband meltdown is more than a DNS issue in some areas?

.probe

probe wrote:
    There is no excuse for this. Eircom should have alternative routes i.e. have multiple connections with several tier 1 networks. Rather than using backstreet operators!

.probe

Did I say it was acceptable? Nope. We won't be paying for todays service due to the outage ;)

Telia aren't backstreet, they just seem to have relied on them a wee bit too much... indeed, almost solely for some traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

probe wrote:
    Loop unbundling is vital. The Irish government is one of the few in the EU that does everything possible to prevent LLU. One wonders why?

To be fair, todays issues with Eircom had nothing to do with LLU. While I'm completely in agreement with you that Eircom is being allowed to drag its heels over LLU, it only confuses the issue to bring it up with regards to the problem(s) discussed in this thread.

Edit: Eircom do have multiple tier-1 networks, and assumedly the relevant KPN/Telia link is physically part of pair (as I'd expect it is), this was more likely to be a routing mis-configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 smergger

had same trouble earlier , couldnt get onto eircom to get email to post ^^

was some weird dropouts , could access komplett.co.uk fine but not the .ie version , and update pages for a game , same urls , just ending in
    /statistics.php or /market.php , only 1 would load for the day

actual gaming wasnt too bad tho , still unimpressed , pay 200+a month for a service thats easily 25% the cost anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

probe wrote:
    Of course. There is only one DSL service provider in Ireland. eircom. (aside from a handful of subscribers who have loop unbundling).

The guys at the Indo could photocopy the Irish Times every day and claim that you have a choice of newspapers. They might even sell it for 20% less. But if the Times's printing press broke down, there would be no "indo" either!

.probe

yeah i know that

i mean i didnt see any other DSL customers on here, just Eircom ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

having the same problem here too.. some sites fine - some working occaisionally - some permanantly down DNS is right on me router:
    on the phone to them at the mo just in case no ones reported it yet
    I'm in the blanch/clonee area btw ..wonder if its a local problem??

Just found this thread. These two dns are also mine. For the first time in 2 years I'm having serious connection problems. Can't get a straight answer from Eircom. So happy to be paying them so much money. Will look into the opendns advice.
    thanks, des

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

Any update on the DNS situation I'm in D22 and I'm still having problems, can't get through to eircom. Using openDNS but still quite slow

Advertisement