Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At last ... the religions unite!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ah, I see where you're coming from, and I disagree :)

Assuming we're talking about believing in something when the actual facts aren't absolute (as the existence of fact negates the need for belief) then I think you can indeed choose to believe one idea over another, and change that idea from one day to the next.

There are countless options to choose from tbh, limiting yourself to just one for an entire lifetime might get a bit dull. You could at least choose to entertain the notion of another possibility - and then who knows, you may grow to believe it yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Goodshape wrote:
    There are countless options to choose from tbh, limiting yourself to just one for an entire lifetime might get a bit dull. You could at least choose to entertain the notion of another possibility - and then who knows, you may grow to believe it yourself.
    You're assuming things that weren't said at all. What gives?

Where did anyone mention maintaining a belief for an entire lifetime? Or suggest that other options aren't entertained? Anyhow the idea that holding a single belief for a long time is dull, is hardly a logical reason to *choose* another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

:(

I hate things like this. We're obviously taking different things from what was said, sorry.

To me the idea of not being able to choose a belief means you are stuck with the belief system that is handed down to you, whatever that may be, for your entire lifetime.

I guess you could argue that your *actual* *belief* may change regardless of any personal choice in the matter. Is that what your saying? I guess I can agree with that but I think also that you are free to choose a lot of the time.
    Anyhow the idea that holding a single belief for a long time is dull, is hardly a logical reason to *choose* another.
    Since when have logic and reason had a part to play in religious beliefs? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Goodshape wrote:
    I hate things like this. We're obviously taking different things from what was said, sorry.

To me the idea of not being able to choose a belief means you are stuck with the belief system that is handed down to you, whatever that may be, for your entire lifetime.

I guess you could argue that your *actual* *belief* may change regardless of any personal choice in the matter. Is that what your saying? I guess I can agree with that but I think also that you are free to choose a lot of the time.

Since when have logic and reason had a part to play in religious beliefs? ;)
    I kinda thought we weren't in disagreement, just misinterpreting the language.

Of course I think you are free to choose another belief than the one handed down to you. My point was that *choice* is ultimately limited to what you actually find you believe in. This wouldn't need to be iterated were it not for the fact that a lot of people are guilty of choosing to believe something because it's more comfortable than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Jesusandmo's take on the story:
    http://www.jesusandmo.net/2007/01/25/sucks/

• Advertisement
Advertisement