Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGHHH....Daft Dave!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Wertz wrote:
    It's like everything else in Ireland; come up with something funny/popular/off-the-wall that appeals to joe public and next thing you know it's being overused/copied/adapted.

Podge and Rodge are a perfect example; RTÉ give them 2 shows a week, everyone and their mother thinks it's a howl...lo and behold it's on 4-5 nights of thr week, the material and quality suffers and the show becomes hackneyed and looses viewers/popularity. They did the same with the simpsons.
    Gift grub is another example...a very successful format, it's now spawned similar slots on a couple of other stations, most notably nob nation on 2fm.

Originality is awarded with plagiarism and repetition and suddenly what was good about [whatever] suddenly gets diluted and spoils the whole thing.

I liked the right price tile ads and still kind of do, but hearing them every damn ad break on every station every bloody day wears very thin.
    TV advert you say? If it's anything like H Norman's transition to the telly, then spare me please...

I don't think Gift Grub is the original of the species. Wasn't Scrap Saturday (late 80s) along the same lines? I'm not saying that Scrap Saturday was the original, but more that everyone will have a go at re-inventing a sucessful show/ad. If it works, they're on to a winner.

I'd say not many people knew that turkish travertine was a type of tile (I certainly didn't), but they do now.

Advertising works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah but it can also back fire. take the appache pizza add i mentioned, i find it so annoying that i actively wont buy their product because of the nuisance factor of that add.

an adds function is to get you to know the product exists , but if the direct result is you wont buy the product it becomes counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Daft Dave ad isn't on the radio even half as much as Snow Patrol.. and they're equally as annoying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

yeah but it can also back fire. take the appache pizza add i mentioned, i find it so annoying that i actively wont buy their product because of the nuisance factor of that add.

For anyone who hasn't heard this ad, it can only be likened to that crazy frog sh1t before he gets his daily dose of prozac.

Definitely agree with above poster that it would actively drive me away from Apache for using such a dumb ad campaign.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

has to be the best advertising campaign on radio.

look we are all talking about it
    everybody is talking about "daft dave" no amount of money can pay for that type of exposure and putting a thread up and talking ( good or bad ) about "daft dave" is promoting it even more and more.
    so yes we are all part of the "daft dave" advertising campagne.
    give yer selves a slap on the back for the best free advertising "daft dave" can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

has to be the best advertising campaign on radio.

look we are all talking about it
    everybody is talking about "daft dave" no amount of money can pay for that type of exposure and putting a thread up and talking ( good or bad ) about "daft dave" is promoting it even more and more.
    so yes we are all part of the "daft dave" advertising campagne.
    give yer selves a slap on the back for the best free advertising "daft dave" can get.

But if we dont vent our anger than no one will ever know how much we hate Daft Dave.....

.......but if we do vent our anger, resentment and hate then we are in fact serving the advert campiagn.

Bit of a Catch22 going on there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

But if we dont vent our anger than no one will ever know how much we hate Daft Dave.....

.......but if we do vent our anger, resentment and hate then we are in fact serving the advert campiagn.

Bit of a Catch22 going on there :rolleyes:

i disagree, you are serving the advert by talking (good or bad) about the advert.
    you in-fact are advertising the advert. :rolleyes:

i disagree, you are serving the advert by talking (good or bad) about the advert.

What if I dont talk about it at all, either good or bad...........just think how much I hate Daft Dave? ;), I still hate the adverts and I'm not interested in Turkish Travertine....I prefer Turkish delight (:p )

**FORGET I TYPED THIS** :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Daft dave or Harvey norman give me dave every time. Its better than this whatever is regulated by the financial regulator or good ol terms and conditions apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But it's only good if people go out and buy the tiles. If they piss off their customers (or potential customers) to such a degree that they stop shopping there then it's hardly a good thing. They also seem to have the same price on everything for the last two years anyway so it can hardly be considered a sale any more either. Dave has run his course now, but as with everything it'll go way beyond that.

And if you want truly "daft" advertising I'd like to know what moron in Ulster Bank's advertising dept decided that a dog barking was a good way to advertise transaction fee free banking? WTF has a dog got to do with banking? The mind boggles sometimes. I wonder do advertising people actually live in the real world, or are they locked up in a cage after they finish coming up with the next "wacky" idea.

At least all the Christmas ads have finished now. If I'd heard the Centra ad one more time I swear the radio was going out the window.

Oh and on the OT portion of this thread, The Office was not funny, Little Britain is just sh*t and Extras is/was brutal. Fr. Ted is still funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The Daft Dave ad isn't on the radio even half as much as Snow Patrol.. and they're equally as annoying..

lol! I take it you're made to suffer Today Fm on a daily basis too!

jor el wrote:
    The Office was not funny

:eek: :eek: blasphemy!! Haha, ah no, I honestly thought the Office was, and still is one of the best comedies I've ever seen, I'd love a boss like David Brent! :D

I did a quick google on 'Daft Dave' and found one guy/girl on Yahoo that is boasting about the fact that the guy who does the voice for Daft Dave is his/her father.........the majority of replies are 'Who the f*%$ is Daft Dave?' :p

The lemsip advert with that annoying slurping sound is starting to bug me now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Ahh I like Daft Dave, I know the adds are stupid and immature but I always laugh, Daft Dave for Taoiseach I say, or at least one of those legends of boards things whatever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, I've found somewhere to vent all the anger over that ******* ad!!!!
    That is all, I'm feeling much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Everybody has someone at some stage in their life that talks like Daft Dave havent they :confused: Next time it happens though he's getting a punch ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that cnut is back again. i really cant believe how right price tiles get away with having a sale every 3/4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

That bloody liquidator...............ahhhhhhhhhhh

EDIT:admiralofthefleet don't you know it's because daft dave goes around the world hunting for bargain tiles and he comes home every 3/4 weeks with his haul:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Daft Dave = Mario Rosenstock, let's hunt him down:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Daft Dave is a legend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

o_O I have no idea who this "Daft Dave" is! What does he advertise?

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    o_O I have no idea who this "Daft Dave" is! What does he advertise?

the right price tiles ads on the radio/tv. he is worse than the crazy frog

edit: i shouldnt have said that, you're mind was clean until a few mins ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Not as bad as those ads that advertise the dangers of drink driving. The one where your man gets crushed up against the wall..........fùcking tard tbh.....he shoud've been the other side of the wall repeatedly inflicting pain upon your wan's ovaries.......it's what any red blooded male would've done. Instead he got owned by the car!!!

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Not as bad as those ads that advertise the dangers of drink driving. The one where your man gets crushed up against the wall..........fùcking tard tbh.....he shoud've been the other side of the wall repeatedly inflicting pain upon your wan's ovaries.......it's what any red blooded male would've done. Instead he got owned by the car!!!

:D:D post of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Apologies, I forgot to mention. The violating was of course with her consent. I don't want the pricks bringing out ads about the dangers of "surprise sex".........w4nkers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

the right price tiles ads on the radio/tv. he is worse than the crazy frog

edit: i shouldnt have said that, you're mind was clean until a few mins ago

Oh right, I think I've heard the ad, and If I've heard/seen an ad it probably means it's everywhere seeing as I rarely watch TV and only listen to the radio now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

that cnut is back again.

Aye.... just heard that the other day. So annoying... But look - everyone's talking about him so they are getting publicity! Even though Right Price Tiles is in my head I wouldnt buy any tiles simply because of the irritation level of that prick. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

where is my monkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

They go together...like bears driving tiny dune-buggys in circles wearing Fezes.:)

Tiny dune-buggys!

Hang on, why would a bear need a tiny dune buggy? Bears aren't exactly small. They could probably manage well enough in a normal sized dune buggy, once they'd mastered the whole driving bit of course.

Unless you're referring to bear cubs? In which case yes, tiny buggys. But that could be seen as very "cute". I think adult bears in full size buggys would be better. More vicious and dangerous.

*Puts spliff away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Just so yous you know, I actually made a complaint to the ASA about Right Price Tiles.

Spurned on by that stupid ****ing monkey and mainly by the fact they *always* seem to have a sale on, which ends the following sunday but magically gets extended for every sunday the following week.

Apparently RTP have had a sale on for 3.5 months non-consecutively over the last year and haven't broke any advertising codes.

*****!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I know the head sales rep in the Ballyfermot branch.
    I'll have a word with him the next time I see him. See what he can do.

Advertisement