Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I don't have the answer to that I'm afraid. For hollowcore at first floor level air tight membrane is wrapped around the edge.

How does it compare cost wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

As I said, I didn't compare prices of slabs v pored floor as I didn't have an option.

Opps, seems like the phone took on a mind of it's own. Apologies for repeat post!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tates1979

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread. Finally got started two weeks ago.

Building a 3100sqft approx house in the midst of the Sperrins. Site is sloping, and had a horrendous amount of overgrowth. It took a good week of our work getting it cleared with the aid of chainsaws, diggers and a bonfire (godsend being allowed to burn the waste) to dispose of unneeded branches (all felled trees have been stripped, cut and stored for future firewood).

We let the contractors cut and fill into the slope - the site itself has managed to take the vast majority of it without having to draw away. There were a series of three interlinked old stone buildings, these have been used to make a roadway into the site, meaning that some of the stone and hardcore originally priced for in the tender for the drive could be spread at certain areas of the lane.

I have attached a couple of pictures - one a couple of days into our clearing the site of vegetation and the second the site as was on Saturday. The site faces NNW, with the vast amount of glazing on the south / south west side. The front of the house is stepped into the slope down in order to integrate into the site, maybe have to grade some of the soil down. Will have a retaining wall at the slope face - and/or a series of planted banks and terraces.

Will keep updating over couple of weeks - will also be asking advice in other threads!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That is a cracking site. Fair play and best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Yes, beautiful site. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

tates1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread. Finally got started two weeks ago.

Building a 3100sqft approx house in the midst of the Sperrins. Site is sloping, and had a horrendous amount of overgrowth. It took a good week of our work getting it cleared with the aid of chainsaws, diggers and a bonfire (godsend being allowed to burn the waste) to dispose of unneeded branches (all felled trees have been stripped, cut and stored for future firewood).

We let the contractors cut and fill into the slope - the site itself has managed to take the vast majority of it without having to draw away. There were a series of three interlinked old stone buildings, these have been used to make a roadway into the site, meaning that some of the stone and hardcore originally priced for in the tender for the drive could be spread at certain areas of the lane.

I have attached a couple of pictures - one a couple of days into our clearing the site of vegetation and the second the site as was on Saturday. The site faces NNW, with the vast amount of glazing on the south / south west side. The front of the house is stepped into the slope down in order to integrate into the site, maybe have to grade some of the soil down. Will have a retaining wall at the slope face - and/or a series of planted banks and terraces.

Will keep updating over couple of weeks - will also be asking advice in other threads!

Great job - but how are you limiting the thermal bridge on the wall to foundation junction ?

Plus make sure you put in as many ducts as you need plus some - now is the time to get them through those rising walls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tates the big question here is......

Are you building in tyrone or derry!!:D

Could be the difference in me replying to any of your queries!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

So today was the first day where i really felt progress and that things are now on the home straight - the kitchen is being fitted - whooohooooo!!!!
    Tiler will be finished this week, very very happy with his work - (might not be too far from you Tates1979 if you're interested), guys are coming tomorrow for final measurement on the handrail for the stairs and glass balustrade on the deck, spark is coming on wednesday and will be on site until every light and switch is fitted. I've to collect all skirting and architrave tomorrow from spray painter and its ready for fitting and doors are to be collected friday ready for fitting. Sanitary ware is on site and ready to be installed and a rather large L shaped sofa was delivered on site last friday.
    Still haven't finalised what i'm going to lay on the deck as granite paving is just way outa my league and any other aggregate based finishes are not dark enough, have a bit of time to ponder this but want to get it down before jack frost comes along obviously.
    I can't believe how different the house looks from the exterior now that the grass seed has bairded and there is a green carpet around the house instead of the harsh look of bare soil, although i really did want rid of the digger driver at that time as i knew every day was another 300 quids.
    The ufh is excellent as is the geothermal, used 211 kwh in 3 weeks with the heating at 18 deg all night to dry out the house and it was such an even temp throughout the whole house and that was without internal doors even on - the wife is massively pleased with it as she was a complete sceptic beforehand.
    So moving in date is exactly a fortnight before xmas as we're heading away for a month to oz so it's hell for leather for the next four weeks before we go and then breathe out and relax and ponder it all. Will post a few pics when i get a chance to take them this weekend.

Thanks folks, looking forward to it all.

FCLauson - not sure to be honest, I'll need to check plans or other architectural details first! Will get on the case re: extra service duct entries.

AntrimGlens- thanks, might be asking for info re: tiler when I get further down line.

Mfceling - Ha! I am in the privileged position of being only 4 miles from the border but on the right side of it (the Derry side), but am using Tyrone builders, so have to get some respect either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

tates1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,

What a lovely unspoilt part of the world.
    Plumbridge area?

Just seen your post at #1691

I like Derry moreso that Tyrone aswell!!!

kboc wrote: »
    What a lovely unspoilt part of the world.
    Plumbridge area?

Thanks kboc - not far! On the road out of Draperstown, just a bit beyond the turn-off for Plumbridge. Mighty spot (even though i'm not a native!).

Blockwork coming along nicely and very fast! :eek:

Images show the house, the 250mm cavity and Quinn Lite blocks at the wall/floor slab junction.

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Blockwork coming along nicely and very fast! :eek:

Images show the house, the 250mm cavity and Quinn Lite blocks at the wall/floor slab junction.

Great progress Barney. Gas to think this is starting to become an established spec when 5-6 years ago there was virtually no wide cavity house built yet and alot of speculation as to the best way to build passive or near passive.

Best of luck with it.

Well that's the ground floor blockwork finished. Waiting now for the 1st floor slabs to be made.

I got the garage floor poured on Thursday so the men can start building the walls next week.

The first pic shows the front of the house (west) and the 2nd pic shows the south elevation (with all the windows).

I have to say the project manager I've hired is doing a great job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good going barney...hopefully the weather will hold for you and you'll get it roofed handily as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Well that's the ground floor blockwork finished. Waiting now for the 1st floor slabs to be made.

I got the garage floor poured on Thursday so the men can start building the walls next week.

The first pic shows the front of the house (west) and the 2nd pic shows the south elevation (with all the windows).

Hi Barney

What thickness is the inner leaf that will support the hollowcore/wide slab?

100/150/215?

Looking great.

Well done

Barany - did you think to put the electric and phone box not attached to the main building - they create a horrible cold bridge - I know you have a wide cav - might want to put (check with arch/eng first) an solid bit of insu. board to go behind it as it will have a better U value

My elec is on the garage and my phone comes up via a duct in the middle of the house

lownhard wrote: »
    Hi Barney

What thickness is the inner leaf that will support the hollowcore/wide slab?

100/150/215?

Looking great.

Well done

I was advised by my engineer to use a 6 inch block on the inner leaf. This will vary for each build so please do not assume this will apply for your build also. You MUST get approval from your engineer.

fclauson wrote: »
    Barany - did you think to put the electric and phone box not attached to the main building - they create a horrible cold bridge - I know you have a wide cav - might want to put (check with arch/eng first) an solid bit of insu. board to go behind it as it will have a better U value

My elec is on the garage and my phone comes up via a duct in the middle of the house

The ESB box is already in place :( Do you mean put a bit of PIR board behind it and if so should it sit against the inner leaf as opposed to right behind the box?

I've no idea about the phone. I suppose it could be brought up one of the ducts that go under the ground floor slab?

• Advertisement

The ESB box is already in place :( Do you mean put a bit of PIR board behind it and if so should it sit against the inner leaf as opposed to right behind the box?
    you could remove it - call the ESB - they let me put mine on the garage - then you could bring just the cable across from there - or they might (check again with ESB) let you build a self standing item between house and pole - in the UK they sometimes do this
    on the PIR -yes - but check with arch/eng

I've no idea about the phone. I suppose it could be brought up one of the ducts that go under the ground floor slab?
    yes- but check with eircom - they are funny about using there own duct etc - try and speak to the chap who will actually install for you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I plan on doing up a blog over winter to track performance but I thought today's stats were interesting for solar gain

The heating was on for an hour at 07:30 to 08:30 for the top two graphs.

The top graph is indoor temp of downstairs Bedroom North facing.

The Middle graph is large living space with very large glazing south facing

The bottom graph is large bedroom upstairs that still has plywood floor and no furniture but it has two windows South Facing and one window East facing.

As you can see the heating brought the downstairs bedroom up from 15.6c to 17.6c but it fell sharply over the day to 15.5c

The living space from went from 15.2c to 16.3c during the hour the heating was on (two rads in large area) then solar gain brought it up to 21.3c and it was still 20.2c at 16:30.

The unfinished Bedroom upstairs with no heating increased from 13.5c to 16c and was still 15.9c at 16:30

solargain1.png

fclauson wrote: »

I asked my project manager about this and he said it would take a days to rectify but it wasn't a big issue.

I'll contact the ESB tomorrow and see what they say to see if it's a go/no go.

When you say cold bridge are you saying the absence of the outer leaf block is allowing cold air to come in near contact with the cavity beads? Plus there might be air tightness issues?

I asked my project manager about this and he said it would take a days to rectify but it wasn't a big issue.

I'll contact the ESB tomorrow and see what they say to see if it's a go/no go.

When you say cold bridge are you saying the absence of the outer leaf block is allowing cold air to come in near contact with the cavity beads? Plus there might be air tightness issues?

as we are off topic - see new thread at on this at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87252574&postcount=1

The first floor slabs were laid today so another milestone met. The garage is coming on nicely also. Hope to get the 1st floor block work finished in the next 2 weeks, weather permitting! :rolleyes:

Well wear barney. Some tidy block work there (as much as I can tell on a 4" screen!). The arches on the garage doorways look particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

The first floor slabs were laid today so another milestone met. The garage is coming on nicely also. Hope to get the 1st floor block work finished in the next 2 weeks, weather permitting! :rolleyes:

Which one is the garage?!

Is there a reason for wrapping only the ends of the hollowcore and not the sides? Is that a radon barrier or polythene?

Looks great. Well done.

lownhard wrote: »
    Which one is the garage?!

Is there a reason for wrapping only the ends of the hollowcore and not the sides? Is that a radon barrier or polythene?

Looks great. Well done.

Yes, the garage or loft is bigger than I thought it would look!!

The sides of the hollowcore actually side along side the inner leaf if you know what I mean. I'll try and find out what material was used - I think it's polythene.

just do it wrote: »
    Well wear barney. Some tidy block work there (as much as I can tell on a 4" screen!). The arches on the garage doorways look particularly well.

Thanks do it, I'm very happy with the garage/loft... trying to get the old farmhouse look 'n' feel ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Open A

Did you know that self-buiders are to be phased out under the new building control regulations? http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/self-builders-to-be-phased-out-under-s-i-80-bregs/

Advertisement