Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Up to 10 working days for ESB, up to 20 working days for Eircom.

While I'm passing actually. I never imagined what a good feeeling seeing piles of blocks on site would be. Even with my limited knowledge of all things construction, the lads seem to be flying. Dry weather for the last week may have helped.

373973_4163021957185_254682758_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

While I'm passing actually. I never imagined what a good feeeling seeing piles of blocks on site would be. Even with my limited knowledge of all things construction, the lads seem to be flying. Dry weather for the last week may have helped.

where is that site?

Just outside Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

IMG_1303.jpg

looks like you have a good sound footing...

I had to pump water fulltime from footings see pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 anjisbuild

I also just started after 2 years (and a fortune) trying to get planning and then battling with engineers and the like. Poured foundations (raft) last week and builder back to me again on Wednesday. Driveway also in with stone from parents quarry at back. Will post pic of poured foundations soon but bit lazy with camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

anjisbuild wrote: »
    I also just started after 2 years (and a fortune) trying to get planning and then battling with engineers and the like. Poured foundations (raft) last week and builder back to me again on Wednesday. Driveway also in with stone from parents quarry at back. Will post pic of poured foundations soon but bit lazy with camera.
    Congrats on start. Looks like a large foundation! Do you mind me asking square footage and cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

just do it wrote: »
    Congrats on start. Looks like a large foundation! Do you mind me asking square footage and cost?
    Massive looking foundation, and that's usually the stage where the house looks small!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Just outside Dundalk.

blackrock by any chance or maybe Lordship direction, possible areas which provide that kind of view around Dundalk

kboc wrote: »

blackrock by any chance or maybe Lordship direction, possible areas which provide that kind of view around Dundalk

Kilkerley actually. It's quite elevated so we have good views. Very nice site inherited by the missus. We were blessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

have been snooping at everyone's pic's on 'live builds' for years finally figured out howta post my own.:)

started digging out the site last jan2012, we really only got a small window with the weather over head bucketing down every chance it got, a dry week came and we went to work. turned out the wet ground was help-full in pointing out an old hand dug stone shore which ran through the middle of the foundation 700mm from surface and which carried an estmated 50 ltrs/min.
    phone022.jpg
    phone011.jpg

just rerouted the water source around the side of foundation for the time being, will eventually use this source and the rainwater combined to supply most of water needs for the house.
    IMG_1495-Copy533x800.jpg

was very nervous pouring the footing concrete as the ground was wet and the concrete was underwater in one stop, the guy one site assured me it wouldent effect it too much..:eek: have out lined the line the shore took through the house.
    phone011.IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

To say the least I was very happy to be outa the ground even if I had to fork out of 30 tipper loads of 6" and 3" down stone fill.

phone019.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

PIV Ducting in place

8130300188_6b2c0f2449.jpg

8130250657_893f683641.jpg

8130253163_4e4df236b4.jpg

8130255487_205cb73ed0.jpg

Suspended Wooden Floor joists now 90% finished, front hall

8130261731_922450f92d.jpg

The Kitchen Living Dining area, the lower Living area now starting to take shape.

8130264021_48365efc7b.jpg

Some Scaffolding removed

8130292122_2fe54b8653.jpg

just do it wrote: »

I know I was kind of shocked at the size of the foundations as I had been prepared for the 'cottage feel'. Build is just short of 3000sqft, the foundations are only the first floor(with garage being only one floor). We have planning for 2 storey and are trying to go passive. Quote for builder we are going with came in at EUR232,000 to doors and architraves but there is already another EUR8,000 gone onto that as we went with a raft foundation which wasnt necessarily needed but a fault of the engineer who we have since changed. Gave EUR 17,000 to builder yesterday. Nearly cried handing it over and thats only the start...

esox28 wrote: »
    how do you post photos then? Share the knowledge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

esox28 wrote: »
    how do you post photos then? Share the knowledge.:)
    See Q.10 here or you can use this site to upload pics from your PC - very simple to use. :)

muffler wrote: »
    See Q.10 here or you can use this site to upload pics from your PC - very simple to use. :)
    Thanks a million - spent ages trying to attach pics last night - put its easier to follow posts when pics are visible with notes. Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Solid site. You wont need to be buying gravel going by that pile of it you have at the back! Did you have to get a rockbreaker in?

Yea they needed a rock breaker but it's quite slate-y so it came apart fairly easily. Architect fúcked the builder off when he tried to claim an additional cost. I'll let them argue it out. Builder built the house next door through the trees also and met similar circumstances so the Architect is saying he didn't hit anything he didn't expect - he's just not entertaining extras at this early stage.

We're cladding the front perimiter wall and parts of the house with the stone removed and as you said, we'll have no shortage of stone for other purposes as they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Yea they needed a rock breaker but it's quite slate-y so it came apart fairly easily. Architect fúcked the builder off when he tried to claim an additional cost. I'll let them argue it out. Builder built the house next door through the trees also and met similar circumstances so the Architect is saying he didn't hit anything he didn't expect - he's just not entertaining extras at this early stage.

We're cladding the front perimiter wall and parts of the house with the stone removed and as you said, we'll have no shortage of stone for other purposes as they arise.

Good stuff, sounds like the architect is fighting your corner.

Brother in law bought stone to do something similiar with his house. there must have been some iron deposit in some of it though, theres a few stones around the front door that have started to rust. Spoils it a bit.
    Probably wont happen with more slate like stone

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks a million - spent ages trying to attach pics last night - put its easier to follow posts when pics are visible with notes. Thanks:D
    I always forget about this (and a lot of people dont know of its existence) but there is Test Forum where you can practice all these things such as uploading pics or embedding etc etc. You can just delete the content when you're finished practicing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Lovely looking site, what part of the country is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

Started July 7th

Roof started this week. All going well, we were held up waiting on steel for roof for almost a week. (8x5's)

Just requested second draw down....

Very happy with how things are going. Just looking (again) at window options.... think we are swaying more and more towards alu-clad as we love the timber finish on internal frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Starting on the roof next week. Got held up waiting for the esb lines to be moved. Natural stone cladding on the front started this week.

Requested 1st drawdown about 3 weeks ago and still haven't got it :mad:. Better come soon.

A point to note for anyone building at the minute. The mortgage relief which is been abolished in December will only apply to the amount you have drawn down by that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

wclarke20 wrote: »
    Starting on the roof next week. Got held up waiting for the esb lines to be moved. Natural stone cladding on the front started this week.

Requested 1st drawdown about 3 weeks ago and still haven't got it :mad:. Better come soon.

A point to note for anyone building at the minute. The mortgage relief which is been abolished in December will only apply to the amount you have drawn down by that date.
    Yikes that is one big looking house, what sq ft is it in total

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

I think it looks a bit bigger than it actually is. It's 2800 sqft.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

Goodluck hope all goes well.

Dar be walls ahoy!

227979.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Good luck with the build eskimo, having just got rid of the builders yesterday i spent all day tidying up the site and getting ready for the roofers next week. Enjoy it i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

So eventually we have got to the stage where the roofers are hoping to be on site next week. The builders finished up yesterday with just a few small things for them to finish off while the roofers are in. Its been a labour of love, but at least we're in control of things as i was able to make a couple of small changes to rooms during the process. The missus is expecting twins in the spring so we ended up making the master bedroom a wee bit bigger to fit in a couple of cots if needed!!!
    We had a window company on site today to measure up for a quote but i doubt if we'll be going with them as theres nothing i hate more from a salesperson than them running down another company and dissing their products.
    I spent all day on site today tidying up and i must admit its great to have your own machinery to move things about site, such as tractor and telescopic. Hope to have the roof on in the next fortnight and slated soon after provided the weather stays good, the spark has been on site to measure up and ufh and plumber are chosen. Really need to get on the case with the windows to get watertight asap.
    Took a few pics while on site today:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

AntrimGlens
    Is that an external staircase at the rear? I'm interested to hear your reasons for it. We're looking at something similar in order to have a clean and dirty entrance (farm and dogs).

Advertisement