Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange military vehicle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    follow up on the 1000ton tank the Landkreuzer P.1000 Ratte
    Surely an assault gun, not a tank. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Cool old thread, time to bring it alive.

Here is a modern one, not as cool as a Scooter with a gun but still odd. Its the Terrier.

armyterrierb.jpg

Here is its predecessor the CET or "Frog" as we used to call it

9707bov08.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

I have a pic from one of the IDF museams of a mock up merkava
    basicily what it was imaging the shape of a tank cut out and welded onto a merkava mk2 only thing was this was about 5 times th size of the original,
    I had to stand way outside the pavillion just to get the whole thing in I swear it was a sewerage pipe they had in place of a barrel. there was a story behind it that anyone who saw this thing coming and stayed to fight it was crazy.
    as soon as i figure out how to post a pic up i will do.
    have some other pics of various Israeli ingenuity from the war of independance and other conflicts will put them up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    I have a pic from one of the IDF museams of a mock up merkava
    basicily what it was imaging the shape of a tank cut out and welded onto a merkava mk2 only thing was this was about 5 times th size of the original,
    I had to stand way outside the pavillion just to get the whole thing in I swear it was a sewerage pipe they had in place of a barrel. there was a story behind it that anyone who saw this thing coming and stayed to fight it was crazy.
    as soon as i figure out how to post a pic up i will do.
    have some other pics of various Israeli ingenuity from the war of independance and other conflicts will put them up aswell.

Go to Photobucket and upload them, when uploaded just give the links!!! I wanna see these!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

astor.jpg
    The nuclear-only Mk-45 ASTOR (Anti-Submarine Torpedo) onboard the USS Greenfish (SS-351) carried a W34 warhead with a yield of 10-15 kilotons. The weapon was wire-guided and had a range of 10-12 miles. These factors gave rise to the joke that ASTOR had a "kill probability" of two: its target and its launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leadership wrote:
    Here is its predecessor the CET or "Frog" as we used to call it

9707bov08.jpg
    very odd machine, it was just about the only amphibious bulldozer

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Soviet ekranoplan, flying hovercraft built during Cold War. Nicknamed the Caspian Sea Monster.

300px-Ekranoplan_of_1980s.jpg

"Ground effect aircraft use the extra lift of their large wings when in proximity to the surface (about one to four meters). It is also interesting to note that this aircraft is one of the largest ever built, with a length of 73m, rivaling that of the Hughes H-4 Hercules "Spruce Goose" and many modern jumbo jets."

"The aircraft was equipped for anti-submarine warfare. It was therefore fitted with six missile launchers, mounted in pairs on the dorsal surface of the fuselage, and advanced tracking systems mounted in the nose and tail. A development of the Lun was planned for use as a mobile field hospital, one which could be rapidly deployed to any ocean or coastal location."

very odd machine, it was just about the only amphibious bulldozer

The amphibious element was a bit of a joke, it took 8 hours to seal the hull and attach huge floats to it. Once in the water only 6 inches of the tank was out of the water. Once in the water it handled very well and was quite fast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Loveless wrote: »
    "The aircraft was equipped for anti-submarine warfare. It was therefore fitted with six missile launchers, mounted in pairs on the dorsal surface of the fuselage, and advanced tracking systems mounted in the nose and tail.

Anti-surface warfare.

ekranoplan.jpg

Those are SS-N-22 launchers, Sunburns. Same as found on the Sovremennyy anti-ship/anti-air destroyer.

NTM

I remember seeing that on discoverys planes that never flew
    kruschev said in the un "we have boats that can jump bridges"
    really interesting about it the designer was watched more than the plane,
    when kruschev went the project was scrapped and the us only found it by chance when a aerial intelligence oficer noticed huge wings at a submarine base.

will try and sort a photo bucket account later and post the liks

• Advertisement

the problem with the ekranoplanes was starting
    you needed a lot more engines to get into the air than you used to cruise something like 4:1

ideal for assults too , forget about hovercraft with one of these you could could zip across the beach at 400 mph

chrono_russe.jpg

Mi-12.jpg
    Mil Mi-12

afl_milw12.jpg

And now a picture of a smaller Russian 'copter
    mi26_01.jpg
    Mil Mi-26 recovering an American CH-47 Chinook helicopter

mi10_01.jpg

size-comparison.jpg

As a flying test rig, the XH-17 utilized as many existing parts as possible,
    including a cockpit from a Waco CG-15 glider,
    landing gear from both a B-25 & C-54, and a bomb-bay fuel tank from a B-29.
    A pair of General Electric J35 jet engines were modified
    to route bleed air into the 130 foot 2-blade rotor,
    where the air was mixed with fuel at the rotor tips in 4 burners.
    With the giant rotor turning at only 88 rpm,
    the engines & pressure-jets were expected to produce 3,480 hp.
    Hughes_CA_54-55_XH-17_XH-28.jpg

biko wrote: »
    Big Bertha 2 http://crazylinkz.blogspot.com/2007/02/worlds-most-impressive-gun.html

Schwerer Gustav and Dora were the names under which the German(world war 2) 80 cm K railway guns were known. They were developed in the late 1930s by Krupp in order tSchwerer Gustav and Dorao destroy large, heavily fortified targets.Krupp built a test model in late 1939 and sent it to the Hillersleben firing range for testing. Penetration was tested on this occasion. Firing almost vertically, the gun was able to penetrate the specified 7 meters of concrete and 1 meter of armour plate.The ammunition for the gun consisted of a heavy concrete-piercing shell and a lighter higSchwerer Gustav and Dorah-explosive shell. A super-long-range rocket projectile was also planned with a range of 150 km that would require the barrel being extended to 84 m. This rocket projectile would have enabled the bombardment of England.
    In keeping with the tradition of the Krupp company, no charge was made for the first gun. However, they did charge 7 million Reichsmark for the second gun Dora, named after the senior engineer's wife.Designed in preparation for World War II, they were intended to be used against the Maginot Line. But instead of a frontal assault, the Wehrmacht outflanked the line during the Battle of France. One of the guns was used in Russia at the siege of Sevastopol during Operation Barbarossa. It was destroyed near the end of the war to avoid capture.

thats nothing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon

yes project babylon but what happened to mr bull ???? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Duffers

Wow! There's some wierd sh*t out there!

What about this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty_(canoe)

The submersible canoe.

seen that canoe on discovery aswell though the show i cant remember
    was really a good idea in principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about the Kraka ?

bw_lkw_00-75t_gl_kraka-05269_017i.jpegbw_lkw_00-75t_gl_kraka-010.jpeg
    bw_lkw_00-75t_gl_kraka_milan-002.jpegbw_lkw_00-75t_gl_kraka-milan-001.jpeg
    bw_lkw_00-75t_gl_mk_20mm-001.jpgkr_klapp.jpg

a foldable platform carrier for the German airborne troups, equipped with a 26 hp 700 cc BMW engine. About 900 of them were built.

111716.jpg

519476632_d86069b56d.jpg

viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=4624&pid=13376

vz1.JPG

vz8pb.JPG

• Advertisement

German mine clearance tank "Alkett-Raümgerät".

alkrm2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

[IMG][/img]519476632_d86069b56d.jpg
    Anymore info on this one?

Looks designed for ice or semi frozen surfaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tricky D wrote: »

That is Frickin Awesome:D

That is Frickin Awesome:D

Agreed, time to change my choice on another thread of vehicles I want to command.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

How do you change a wheel on that!!!!:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ah, the KV-VI
    Since the collapse of the Soviet Union, new facts have surfaced about the secret weapons developed by the Red Army during WWII. One of the most fascinating of these was the KV-VI Behemoth. In July 1941, Stalin learned of a single KV-II that had held off the entire 6th Panzer Division for more than a day. With the incredible success of this single tank, Stalin ordered a crash program for a land battleship based on the KV-II design. It was to have three turrets and be very heavily armed and armored and able to defend itself against all types of attack. The project was given to the joint team of Kotin/Barkov. When the designers complained to Stalin that the insistence on three turrets made the vehicle too long to have an acceptable turning radius, Stalin's answer was: "It doesn't need to turn, it will drive straight to Berlin." The final design became known as the KV-VI "Behemoth". The KV-VI was a multi-turreted tank using components of the KV-I and II, Bt-5, T-60, and T-38. The use of existing tank designs was necessary because of pressure from Stalin and the strains put on Soviet industry by the German invasion. Because of its massive weight, the tank was equipped with wading devices permitting it to traverse rivers up to 9 feet deep. The team also designed a removable observation tower that could be used to direct the fire of the howitzers and rockets while the tank was in a turret down position.

KV-VI Specifications

Crew: 15 men and one Commissar Length: 51 feet, 4 inches
    Height: 15 feet, 3 inches Width: 10 feet, 10 inches
    Height/tower raised: 37 feet, 8 inches Weight: 138 tons
    Engine: 3 X V-2 at 600 horsepower each Max Speed: 13 mph
    Max Range: 98 miles road; 43 miles cross country
    Armor: 160mm maximum; 7mm minimum
    Armament: 2 X 152mm; 2 X 76.2mm; 1 X 45mm; 2 X 12.7mm DShK; 2 X 7.62mm Maxim; 14 X 7.62mm DT; 16 X BM-13 Rockets; 2 X Model 1933 Flamethrowers

Operational History
    The first prototype was completed in December 1941 and was rushed into the defense of Moscow. In its first action during a dense winter fog, the rear turret accidentally fired into the center turret. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The second prototype was completed in January 1942, and was sent to the Leningrad front. This one had indicators installed to show whe another turret was in the line of fire. In its initial attack on the Germans, the tank broke in half when crossing a ravine. A spark ignited the leaking flamethrower fuel and the resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The third prototype, shown here, had a reinforced hull and was also sent to the Leningrad front in early 1942. It did manage to shoot down three German aircraft. In its first ground engagement, the KV-VI was firing on German positions when coincidentally all of the guns fired from the 3 O'Clock position a the same time. The tremendous recoil tipped the tank into a ditch and the severe jostling set off the 152mm ammunition, which completely destroyed the vehicle. After these failures, Stalin cancelled the project, and many of the design team members spent the rest of their lives in the Gulags of Sibera. The KV-VI was nicknamed "Stalin's Orchestra" by the few Germans that encountered it because of the variety of weapons it deployed.

NTM

Advertisement