Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this wood??

Options
  • 21-12-2006 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks ;)

Anyone have any idea what type of timber is in the attached pic. Its some form of an Asian, probably Indian hardwood, used over there to make a lot of replica items and furniture for international trade etc.

It looks a bit like Iroko, or at least thats the nearest match I could find. I'd like to find out for sure as I want to do a bit of work with it, finishing characteristics etc. Seems to have very rough, open grain and an oily feel to it.

Thanking y'all :D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I presume it's a rifle handle.
    Maybe it's origins may shed some light on the timbers also.

Looks like Iroko alright but there are many look-a-likes to iroko also

see what other folks think.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The pic is of the butt, yes. Its a reproduction Brown Bess musket (doesnt fire ;) ). Big trade over in Indian for the likes of these items.

As its non-firing the timber doesnt have to be strong in that respect, so its not the usual walnut stock. Probably some cheap, un heard of Indian timber :rolleyes:

Here are some Baker Rifles made from similar timber:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

:eek: jeez there great looking peices you have there and well looked after I'm afraid I cant help you with identifing the timber dut why not use hard timber that you can get. I think I read somewhere that stocks were made from walnut at some stage or other maybe this is too expensive. Get out the old Dan'l Boone bookes he was always making or having new stocks made. what ever you do please show us the results.If I come across anything I'lllet you know best of luck.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Unfortunately those 3 Baker rifles arent mine Boysie39 :o, I can always dream.

The stocks, originally would have been made of Walnut, as its relatively light, can resist wear and tear, as well as constant recoil etc. But as the Bess I have isnt made to fire its stocked in some form of Asian hardwood, native to India I'd imagine.

Check out the link below to see more info on the Brown Bess I have, what I intend doing, and also another pistol I restored:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52526898#post52526898

Advertisement