Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its TOO quiet in here!

Options
  • 20-11-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Come on guys, talk about collectables and antiques ;)

What do you collect??

Whats your oldest posession??

Whats the oldest and/or weirdest antique you have??

Have you any interesting family related antiques??

or

Any super rare pieces??

Pick a question (or two :p ) and answer at your own will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I'm not what you would call a knowledgable person when it comes to antiques or going to auctions but i know what i like........ but was at an auction once in a house and saw an item that i could not believe it was a golly with a hand that lift money to its mouth and put it in like a money box but written on the back of it was ****** Box :eek:

now obviously i had no intention of buyin it but thought it is a type of item you would never see being made again and was obviously old and cast iron......

So started bidding on it but wife made me stop at 25 euro :mad: but to myu shock i saw one a few weeks later on bargain hunt and sold for 150 pounds..... btw this item was never going to be for public display but was a fine example of a time best forgotten

i did get a nice phrenology head though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

tis a bit quiet here allright.

i collect antique maps of Ireland and Irish counties / provinces, have quite a few dating back to the 1650's, with the pictures of sea monsters etc featured.

I really like collecting things that I know there will never be any more of and getting a better idea of irish history too.

I also collect antique irish prints from the 1830'-1850's which were the photos of the time I guess, again I go for things from the parts of ireland i know best, cork, clare, limerick and its fascinating to see how the landscape / vista has changed in a 150 years.

I have a bit of an irish coin collection too, and a nice display piece of a old style penny for every year from 1780 to 1950, although some of the older ones are far from Very Fine.

I'm fortunate to have a large antique showroom and auction house nearby to where i live, I often pop in for a look around and would love to buy a lot of things but sadly don't have the space in my current place of residence .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ooops, forgot I started this thread :o

That sounded like an interesting find you had racso1975, be it politically correct nowadays or not, but obviously it was made in a very different era. You must have been fierce annoyed to see a similar one go later for £150! Bloody hell :eek: , you could have made an investment there had you have known.

Sounds like you have an interesting collection going Growler, any chance of some pics, I'd be interested in seing some of them (any maps of Carlow? :D ). I was bidding on a German hand drawn map of Carlow from 1640 on e-bay last week, I didnt win as it ended up selling for £104! Amazing.

I collect anything from 1798 to WW2 and items of local interest etc. I went through my WW2 phase and have the odds and ends to prove it :p, I sort of bounch between WW1 and 1798 now, at the moment I'm in my 1798 frame of mind and my latest addition to the collection being a high quality replica '3rd Pattern' Brown Bess musket from the 'Sharpe's Challenge' movie, its not the real thing, and was only a fraction of the price of an original but it'll fill a space until I get more dosh under my belt :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ah,a jolly ****** bank?That was a shop on the quays if i'm not mistaken.The one you saw was a modern rpero,yer man has loads of them.If you hadthe genuine article you could sell it in america for 600 dollars!

actually i just read that it was an auction soo it could well have been a genuine model.

Myown forte is antique bottles,usually victorian or edwardian.I usually dig them up myself for free or find them where old houses have bee knocked down or canals dug out.All glass bottles pr 1920 were made by hand and usually have very obvious flaws in the glass making each one unique.

don't think anyone heard of carlow in the old days croppyboy ;)

I haven't got a scanner to copy the maps , and not sure it would be good for them either

the prints are all in frames aswell :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't a clue about antiques but I used to collect callcards when I was young and have loads of mint ones in the back of my wardrobe somewhere. A bit of waste as it seems no one seriously collects them anymore.

Eh! What do you mean no one heard of Carlow in the good old days Growler? :p, Carlow has always been well known and on the forefront of many an historic event :D

Call cards seem to have faded into the past Sad Professor, I do remember seeing a few threads here a number of months back on the topic, so I'm sure if you look back over the posts you can see them. Might give you more info on them, price, if anyone is still collecting etc.

Heres my '1798' collection, a couple of the items are reproduction (solely because I havent the money to afford the real thing).
    104_4306.jpg

And below is my latest addition, an Indian Pattern Brown Bess, used in the filming of Sharpe's Challenge, this will be part of my 1798 display too. Its a dud, ie no touch hole and a blocked barrell, so perfectly legal to own. I'm going to do some work with it over the Christmas holidays to age it a bit, add a darker stain to the wood.

EIC2020sling.jpg

EIC20Lock.jpg

104_4311.jpg

Obviously I know that Christopher Colombus actually set out to find the legendary Carlow but had to make do with america instead !

Nice collection there, how much would genuine musketry set you back from that period? , I have a hankering to collect militaria (and have a huge antique fair near me in London) but again ain't got the space to keep or display it properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Call cards seem to have faded into the past Sad Professor, I do remember seeing a few threads here a number of months back on the topic, so I'm sure if you look back over the posts you can see them. Might give you more info on them, price, if anyone is still collecting etc.

Yeah I think they were just a fad anyway. I suppose mobile phones have made call cards practically obsolete so there's not much point in anyone collecting them anymore. Ah sure I've held on to them this long; I doubt I'd get much for them anyway. Maybe in the future though.

Impressive collection you've got there btw.

growler wrote:
    Obviously I know that Christopher Colombus actually set out to find the legendary Carlow but had to make do with america instead !

Nice collection there, how much would genuine musketry set you back from that period? , I have a hankering to collect militaria (and have a huge antique fair near me in London) but again ain't got the space to keep or display it properly.

Carlow was a jewel best undiscovered :D

Muskets from the 18th to early 19th century are damned expensive! I paid £250 stirling (plus postage costs for that replica Brown Bess!), I was going to buy an original one, with a damaged stock and missing its lock, but it cost £400! To get a complete, good to good plus example brown bess from in or around 1800 you'd be talking about £700-£1000 or more depending on the condition, pattern etc.

Pistols I find are every bit as dear as the muskets, they range from about £400+ again depending on year, model, maker and country of origin. The middle pistol in my collection I paid €200 for, I bought it as a restoration project, ie someone had got all the parts from an original pistol and put them into a very roughly shaped, badly made stock. So I remade a stock to fit the lock, barrell and furniture in.

Before:
    Picture429186.jpg

After:
    Picture009.jpg

The first sword you see in my collection is a replica 'pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre', to buy a real one of them you'd be looking at £300+ for a good, basic example from the turn of the 19th century, a hell of a lot more for an engraved, or variant officers model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If any of ye want to see this forum get some more traffic then I suggest doing what another user has done, put a link to this forum in your signature so that other and new members will be aware that such a place exists. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What do you collect??

I usually like to take a trophy from each of my victims. Generally big toe from right foot.

wyndham wrote:
    I usually like to take a trophy from each of my victims. Generally big toe from right foot.

Ehhh....:eek: .........thats interesting, is there a name for such a collection? (:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Quietude and antiques are indeed strange bedfellows.

Lovejoy.

magpie wrote:

Lovejoy.

Huh?

magpie wrote:

Lovejoy.

deep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Whats the oldest and/or weirdest antique you have??

A blue-and-red liquidators medal from the disaster at Chernobyl in 1986. You can see a picture of it in the attachment.

The Russian around the edge says something like, "For participation in the cleanup of the accident."

"ЧАЭС" stands for "ChAES", which are the initials of the Chernobyl NPP.

A blue-and-red liquidators medal.....

Interesting Odaise! Never would have imagined there was such a medal! How much would one of those set you back? Are they desirable? I'd say in another few years there'd be a demand for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Interesting Odaise! Never would have imagined there was such a medal! How much would one of those set you back? Are they desirable? I'd say in another few years there'd be a demand for them!

They're completely undesirable, actually. Mine set me back €20, which I think is a pretty high price for one of them TBH. You'd probably be able to get them for less.

I believe, though not certain, that there is a liquidator's certificate to go along with the medal, though I've never seen one. I'd say they're very rare.

I really doubt that the price will go any higher anytime soon. Though... you never know. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TY 249

I was wondering chaps if one of you could tell me where I could purchase a good looking replica of the Brown Bess musket on the web please? :)

• Advertisement

I'll send you a PM to where I purchased my reproduction Brown Bess TY 249, they aint cheap, but if you want a relatively well made Bess and as close as possible to the real thing, real weight etc its probably your best option. I spent a lot of time looking for a good source and couldnt come up with much. There is the other option of the cheaper 'Denix' made Brown Bess.....but they're ehh.....well, if you want something cheap as a wall hanger they'd do.

I did some work on my Bess, I opted for a cheaper model and did a lot of work on it myself, heres a few pics before and after pics:

The barrells of course are blocked, theres a bar welded into them and no touch hole drilled, so they're ok to own.

http://www.sanderusmaps.com/antique-maps/europe/ireland--carlow_13827.cfm?site=ok

map of carlow from 1609 , might interest you.

$320 though !!

Advertisement