Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing the road on the phone...

Options
  • 21-12-2006 12:41am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Why why why do feckin gobshoites cross the road while talkin on the phone? We had the bleedin green cross code hammered into us by darth vadar and judge when we were kids and everythin was fine until mobiles came along!!

I nearly killed some spanner today who crossed without looking even though he could see traffic was flowing!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You should have kept going, "light was green!"

Safe Cross code ftw! *roots through Retro forum* :)

remember,
    one, look for a safe place
    two, don't hurry, stop and wait,
    three look all around and listen
    before you cross the road,
    remember,
    four, let all the traffic pass you
    five, then walking straight across you
    six, keep watching,
    that's the safe cross code!!!!!

safe place, stop and wait
    safe ground, look around, listen for a traffic sound
    if traffic's coming let it pass
    until the road is clear at last
    then walking straight across the road
    keep watching, that's the code.

remember,
    remember,
    six, keep watching,
    that's the safe cross code
    know the safe cross code
    know the code!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

faceman wrote:
    Why why why do feckin gobshoites cross the road while talkin on the phone? We had the bleedin green cross code hammered into us by darth vadar and judge when we were kids and everythin was fine until mobiles came along!!

I nearly killed some spanner today who crossed without looking even though he could see traffic was flowing!!
    Natural selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

faceman wrote:

What about the gob****es behind the wheel who are on their mobile phones...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Karoma wrote:
    Natural selection.
    lol.true/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    What about the gob****es behind the wheel who are on their mobile phones...?
    That's the usual slant and rant.
    Ugh! Words fail how I felt when I saw some twat speeding in the fog today with no goddamn lights on, whilst talking on a mobile phone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can you not multi-task? Do you have trouble keeping a steady pace while you're chewing gum? :confused:

I can still look both ways while I have a phone at my ear, and if by chance I'm struck blind, I can still hear as good as I need to (for the purpose of crossing the road) from 1 ear, so it's not a big deal.

Do you also get p*ssed when you see people crossing the road while wearing earphones?

Cos if you do -- then you'll bloody hate me, cos guess what! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

They invented a horn and loads of time to hold it down for a reason you know! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Karoma wrote:
    Natural selection.
    Won't pass on their genes to future generations. Good thing!

Nowhere near as bad (or as scary) as seeing a man driving an oil truck around a roundabout using one hand whilst yammering away on his mobile.

But still, being on the phone and talking to someone is nowhere near as dangerous as txting whilst crossing; at least with ringing someone you are able to somewhat concentrate (and see) whereas most people txt whilst looking at their phones and at nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

They're bringing out the add campaigns against it now anyway. They have them all over the luas. The don't talk on your phone while you're crossing the road ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

But still, being on the phone and talking to someone is nowhere near as dangerous as txting whilst crossing; at least with ringing someone you are able to somewhat concentrate (and see) whereas most people txt whilst looking at their phones and at nothing else.

I see this all the time - pure stupidity even at a crossing. Anyone who does this is just looking to get run over, Irish drivers simply can't be trusted to stop.

Last year I was crossing a pedestrian crossing (with a button) in Crumlin. The lights went red and the cars stopped. I was half-way across when this old man in a micra drove straight through the lights at full speed. There was a women with a baby in front of me who was nearly hit. The lights were still red but he didn't seem to even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote:

as long as you are obeying the speed limit, then you should have nothing to worry about.
    Spanky-s wrote:
    They invented a horn and loads of time to hold it down for a reason you know!
    I won't hold my horn down for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

I actually nearly ran a woman over in what could have been described as the "Perfect storm" of what not to do as a pedestrian crossing the road - I was going to the airport and in Blanch village, at the bus stop beside the grocers near the Garda station, a woman stepped out from in front of a bus (mistake no. 1) on her mobile phone (mistake no. 2) and looking in the wrong direction (mistake no. 3.) Maybe it's just me, but don't they teach schoolkids all this sort of thing? Let alone the virtues of common sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was nearly killed a couple of years ago crossing the luas tracks in town, it was while they were being tested and it just didnt occur to me that trams might be on the line, it was literaly a couple of inches away from me when i realised that it was there after hearing the loud horn. still cross the road on the phone though, like a fool, its just habit

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apparently Judge is amking a comeback with the safe cross code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

admiralgar wrote:
    i was nearly killed a couple of years ago crossing the luas tracks in town, it was while they were being tested and it just didnt occur to me that trams might be on the line, it was literaly a couple of inches away from me when i realised that it was there after hearing the loud horn. still cross the road on the phone though, like a fool, its just habit
    Bit of a lethal one. Still, the chances of being run over by a Luas are exceptionally small, even if you walk out right in front of one (famous last words, possibly... do ensure it's put on my headstone ;) ) - the brakes on that thing are amazing. I believe the Luas is one of the safest tram networks in the world, especially positive given that it's so young. I'd say there's probably more rush-hour injuries inside the tram from the drivers having to jam on that dead mans brake than there are people even bumped by Luas trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

faceman wrote:

In fuking fairness. Crossing the road while talking on the phone is hardly worth a ****ing thread now is it. Everything wasn't fine before mobile phone either. Jesus christ, some people have nothing else to be doing do ya.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In fuking fairness. Crossing the road while talking on the phone is hardly worth a ****ing thread now is it. Everything wasn't fine before mobile phone either. Jesus christ, some people have nothing else to be doing do ya.

Simple, if you dont like the thread then you dont have to post.
    clearly you have nothing better to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

What are people meant to do? Finish the phonecall before crossing any road?

Maybe hang up, cross the road and then ring the person back. And repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

C'mon people, I want to see more handsfree kits. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Maybe hang up, cross the road and then ring the person back. And repeat.

Or even look both ways WHILE chatting on the phone? Instead of ploughing on blindly because they are mentally incapable of swivelling their heads from right to left at the same time as waggling their jaws! :rolleyes::)

It's true, drivers on mobiles are worse, much worse but they are in a big, heavy, metal vehicle - pedestrian Vs car = no contest so pedestrians really should be more careful when stepping into traffic.

Or even look both ways WHILE chatting on the phone? Instead of ploughing on blindly because they are mentally incapable of swivelling their heads from right to left at the same time as waggling their jaws!

Most people manage to cross the road just fine while talking on the phone.

Why do people make a big deal out of silly things?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nehpets wrote:
    No, just to tell the other person "hang on a minute while I cross the road" and then hold thier phone away from their head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DaveMcG wrote:
    Most people manage to cross the road just fine while talking on the phone.

Why do people make a big deal out of silly things?

"Most" people isnt enough! all people should manage to cross safely. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Agreed ,what a ****e rant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ruu wrote:
    You should have kept going, "light was green!"

Safe Cross code ftw! *roots through Retro forum* :)

remember,
    remember,
    six, keep watching,
    that's the safe cross code!!!!!

safe ground, look around, listen for a traffic sound
    if traffic's coming let it pass
    until the road is clear at last
    then walking straight across the road
    keep watching, that's the code.

remember,
    remember,
    six, keep watching,
    know the safe cross code
    know the code!
    Who was it that did that sketch about how in the UK all people had to remember was Stop! Look! Listen!
    while over here it most people could only get half way
    "three look all around and listen
    remember,"
    "ah feck , can't remember the next bit, I'll chance it" <Screeeeech> <THUD>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

faceman wrote:

Hey!! it was an important conversation and I needed to get somewhere quick!!!

spanner wrote:
    Hey!! it was an important conversation and I needed to get somewhere quick!!!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

God yeah... what about these muppets crossing the road while eating SANDWICHES?!!?!

I mean, like, how can they concentrate on the fact that there are CARS COMING while also concentrating on the bready buttery meaty combo goodness in their hand and in their mouth?

IT SHOULD BE BANNED I TELL YOU. THERE SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST IT. I'M BRINGING THIS UP WITH MY LOCAL T.D. *RANT*RANT*RANT*...

(i.e.: FFS. Get a life.)

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    "Most" people isnt enough! all people should manage to cross safely. :rolleyes:

That's great... I don't see how it's relevent though.

"Most" people cross the road safely WITHOUT having their mobile phone at their ear. "Some" don't.

:confused:

Advertisement