Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Cagney's Nightrain (2FM in the 80s)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lawchicky

I'm also a big fan of this show. I was in boarding school and listening under the covers! My love Of steely dan started here too I think.

I too am looking for a song from this era. Circa 1983 ballady, guy,maybe from northern Ireland, catchy. Was played relentlessly either by Gerry Ryan or Mark Cagney - or both

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Hi One and All,
    I have to say that this was the best radio show ever - loads of fond memories not to mention great tunes. While this is an abstract question I hope someone ready this can help me on finding a couple of tunes played way back then to which I've got no titles nor artists. The best I can do is to describe what's known about the songs and upload the tunes for anyone willing to help. There are 3 songs driving me crazy and they are as follows -
    Song 1 - Some Lyrics - "hey boy come out and take a dance, come on and take a chance- believe in the light of day"
    This has very harmonic lyrics, American I would say, very slick. After the couple of versus and choruses it goes on to a string of solos beginning with a guitar solo, followed by a bass solo, then a flute solo I think and finally a keyboard solo - all class - very smooth - about 10 minutes long.

I threw song 1 into google. Looks like "Light Of Day" by The Little River Band. This has the lyrics:
    Hey boys, come out and dig the dance,
    come on and take a chance,
    believe in the light of day

Well done

I found my song last night after looking for years.

"some people smile" - Paul Cleary of The Blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

lawchicky wrote: »
    Paul Cleary of The Blades.

Miles better than U2 were back then:cool: Bono STILL can't sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Well done

I must try to track that song down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

Very good, alright. Cagney always seemed like a decent skin as well.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Well done

It's on spotify!

By the way, I think the economic climate is right for a re release of Downmarket by The Blades

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Well done

It's on spotify!

By the way, I think the economic climate is right for a re release of Downmarket by The Blades
    In an unfamilar bed
    In a unfamiliar room
    There’s a throbbing in my head
    I’ve succeeded I presume

Everything’s black and white and grey
    Living from day to day to day
    I suppose I can’t be choosy, when there’s not too many choices
    With the problems of the nation
    I’m not waiting at an airport
    I’m not waiting at a station
    I’m standing at a bustop, Downmarket, Downmarket

On a rainy afternoon
    On a gambling machine
    Same old jukebox, same old tune
    It’s hard to break and old routine

Everything’s black and white and grey
    Living from day to day to day
    I suppose I can’t be choosy, when there’s not too many choices
    With the problems of the nation

It’s a fatal resignation
    When there’s nothing left to hope for
    In a hopless situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I was re-reading this thread earlier and wondered if there were any recordings of the Nighttrain online and I was pleased to discover these on a very good wordpress blog called The Fanning Sessions. The sound quality isn't great but it's two recordings from his show on 5th January 1988 (about an hour in total). Btw, play the second one first as they're in the wrong order.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/fanningsessions/mark-cagney-1-side-a/
    http://www.mixcloud.com/fanningsessions/mark-cagney-1-side-b/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Dragging up an old thread I know, though with Cagney gone from TV3/Virgin Media One after 20 years, is it time for him to return to radio?.

Radio has changed so much in the past 20 years since he was on Today FM... where would he fit in now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Dragging up an old thread I know, though with Cagney gone from TV3/Virgin Media One after 20 years, is it time for him to return to radio?.

Radio has changed so much in the past 20 years since he was on Today FM... where would he fit in now?

Too much is made of presenters. I read somewhere Cagney was described a 'broadcasting legend' no less. Haven't heard or seen anything of him in the last few decades. Why is he gone by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

bobbyss wrote: »
    Too much is made of presenters. I read somewhere Cagney was described a 'broadcasting legend' no less. Haven't heard or seen anything of him in the last few decades. Why is he gone by the way?

I would suspect that Mark Cagney may have felt that now was the time to move on from rising out of bed at 03:00am to host breakfast television from Monday to Friday inclusive - that would take it's toll on most people after a while especially if you had to attend any evening social engagements. Most of his time working on "Ireland AM" on Virgin Media One TV would have been under TV3 and perhaps the Virgin Media's takeover of TV3 Group resulted in a lot of changes behind the scenes too which can be unsettling for long established members of staff to adjust. Before this I think he was briefly on Radio Ireland/Today fm and prior to this he was on a Dublin local radio station for a while.

I recall Mark Cagney on NightTrain on Radio 2 just after Gerry Ryan's "Lights Out" programme on weeknights which ran up until around Feb/March 1988 before The Gerry Ryan Show first began. On weekends Sat/Sun Tony Fenton would replace Gerry Ryan whilst Mike Moloney would do NightTrain over the Wkd! Mike Moloney eventually got a more full-time slot by the early '90's called "Moloney After Midnight" in later years which had regular slots like "Emelia Go Lightly" etc;

If Mark Cagney was to return to radio, all I can say is that he is highly unlikely to return to a station like today's 2FM, Dave Fanning looks out of place and Cagney would no longer be a good fit with it's younger age demographic. In fact, he probably would not be targeted by Today FM either so maybe a station like RTÉ Gold, RTÉ lyric fm, Classic Hits (4FM), Nova or who knows. Cagney always had a great voice for radio and I could imagine him doing something in this area again in some form or another as he's 63yrs of age. Pat Kenny has passed his 70th birthday, George Hook, Gay Byrne all kept going beyond their 70th+ on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wouldn't be calling him a broadcasting legend but he has managed to work for 40+ years in the business - that's impressive. I hadn't seen him for a very long time so I was shocked to see how much he has aged. Getting up at that ungodly hour for years has to have taken some sort of toll on him. And perhaps he has decided he has had enough and wants a quieter life.

The only radio stations where I could see him fitting in now are Radio 1, RTE Gold, 4FM or some of the local stations. Even in his pre-TV3 days, I remember him as being a DJ who played "older" music than what I was into (The Blue Nile etc.) Unless his presenting skills went to pot on breakfast TV, he'd still be a solid presenter to have on the books.

I wouldn't be calling him a broadcasting legend but he has managed to work for 40+ years in the business - that's impressive. I hadn't seen him for a very long time so I was shocked to see how much he has aged. Getting up at that ungodly hour for years has to have taken some sort of toll on him. And perhaps he has decided he has had enough and wants a quieter life.

The only radio stations where I could see him fitting in now are Radio 1, RTE Gold, 4FM or some of the local stations. Even in his pre-TV3 days, I remember him as being a DJ who played "older" music than what I was into (The Blue Nile etc.) Unless his presenting skills went to pot on breakfast TV, he'd still be a solid presenter to have on the books.

HaHa - as a child, teen and young man I rarely recognised Mark Cagney's playlist on NightTrain on Radio 2 all those years ago. Cagney like Dave Fanning tended to showcase the more unusual on what later became 2FM. This was in stark contrast to shows like: Larry Gogan Show (The Golden Hour and Just-A-Minute Quiz), Barry Lang's Hotline (the Hitlist in the Evening Herald) or Gerry Ryan's Lights Out from 10pm-12Midnight. Cagney for most of his years on Radio 2FM was a "night-owl" who worked the grave yard shift for many years from 12Midnight until 01:50am when Radio 2 was required to cease transmission nightly in the days before it was permitted to broadcast 24/7. Cagney's father was a musician in his native Cork City and Mark started out as a roadie!

Did Mark Cagney go to 2FM Drivetime, after his many years on Nighttrain, or did he go straight to 98FM??

As evidenced from the hour on mixcloud above, his shows around early 1988 had got a bit more chart orientated (Terence Trent D'arby, George Michael), so less adult/album tracks than earlier/mid 1980s shows...but still a fantastic show and great memories when Radio 2 was the big station on the FM dial

Did Mark Cagney go to 2FM Drivetime, after his many years on Nighttrain, or did he go straight to 98FM??

As evidenced from the hour on mixcloud above, his shows around early 1988 had got a bit more chart orientated (Terence Trent D'arby, George Michael), so less adult/album tracks than earlier/mid 1980s shows...but still a fantastic show and great memories when Radio 2 was the big station on the FM dial

Yeah, I think Mark may have finished his stint on Radio 2 FM doing DriveTime but it was not for very long in his overall career on the station. I also recall him doing an album show on Sunday early evenings for a certain period. Like Dave Fanning, Cagney ended up doing closer to mainstream towards the end of his 2FM stint. I think after Dave Fanning did "2TV" on Sunday mornings (a 2FM simulcast with Network 2 TV) he had almost shifted more towards pop music in a way he hadn't done in earlier years. Mark Cagney & Dave Fanning were probably RTÉ Radio 2FM's closest thing to BBC Radio One's John Peel/Andy Kershaw in my opinion.

I used enjoy a show on weekends which used only play 12inch releases and I think it may have been hosted by Peter Collins (RTÉ sports presenter) if memory serves me correct?

Looking back, there's a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time. When Jimmy Greeley was plucked from his 09:00-11:30am weekday morning slot to cover a special themed station in Dublin called Millennium 88FM which was established to mark Dublin City's 1,000th year 988-1988, it left a gap in the morning schedule and Gerry Ryan was switched from his 10pm-12Midnight "Lights Out" show to cover a new 09:00am-12Noon slot and it was so successful it was one of the few shows to survive a major relaunch of 2FM 12 months later. I never recall Jimmy Greeley returning to Radio 2 again although Greeley would have presented RTÉ News on TV and did a lot of continuity work for RTÉ One TV. Of course Jimmy eventually switched to one of the Dublin local independent stations for a number of years and when 4FM launched around 2009 he was one of the original presenter line-up and did a very similar style show to his old RTÉ Radio 2 programme many years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Yeah, I think Mark may have finished his stint on Radio 2 FM doing DriveTime but it was not for very long in his overall career on the station. I also recall him doing an album show on Sunday early evenings for a certain period. Like Dave Fanning, Cagney ended up doing closer to mainstream towards the end of his 2FM stint. I think after Dave Fanning did "2TV" on Sunday mornings (a 2FM simulcast with Network 2 TV) he had almost shifted more towards pop music in a way he hadn't done in earlier years. Mark Cagney & Dave Fanning were probably RTÉ Radio 2FM's closest thing to BBC Radio One's John Peel/Andy Kershaw in my opinion.

I used enjoy a show on weekends which used only play 12inch releases and I think it may have been hosted by Peter Collins (RTÉ sports presenter) if memory serves me correct?

Looking back, there's a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time. When Jimmy Greeley was plucked from his 09:00-11:30am weekday morning slot to cover a special themed station in Dublin called Millennium 88FM which was established to mark Dublin City's 1,000th year 988-1988, it left a gap in the morning schedule and Gerry Ryan was switched from his 10pm-12Midnight "Lights Out" show to cover a new 09:00am-12Noon slot and it was so successful it was one of the few shows to survive a major relaunch of 2FM 12 months later. I never recall Jimmy Greeley returning to Radio 2 again although Greeley would have presented RTÉ News on TV and did a lot of continuity work for RTÉ One TV. Of course Jimmy eventually switched to one of the Dublin local independent stations for a number of years and when 4FM launched around 2009 he was one of the original presenter line-up and did a very similar style show to his old RTÉ Radio 2 programme many years previously.

I think Mark Cagney had left 2FM by the first half of 1989. He turned up as a guest contributor on an album show presented by Richard Crowley during the first few months of Century Radio (September - November 1989), Ireland's first legal independent commercial radio station. Mark was definitely gone from RTE at that stage as RTE was very shirty about the new competition in the early days of commercial radio! Mark Cagney was the first presenter of 98FM when it launched at midnight on November 1989 and the first tune he played was Hotel California by The Eagles. I tuned in to hear its launch.

In relation to Jimmy Greeley, the local station that he moved to in 1994 was the same 98FM. I think, as far as the radio side of his career was concerned, he may have been briefly with the relatively short-lived part-time classical RTE station FM3 between Millennium Radio and 98FM. This was subsequently replaced by the full-time Lyric FM. I remember Peter Collins's show alright during the late '80s.

Mark Cagney's last radio station was Today FM before he joined TV3. Unlike his other ex-98FM colleagues - Aidan Cooney and Martin King - he did not keep his hand in radio presenting, although he has done plenty of ad voiceovers. I think the best radio fit for Mark Cagney, provided he has some free rein, would be RTE Gold, RTE Radio One (late-night music show) or 4FM or maybe one or other of Radio Nova's digital stations.

Cagney's final show on the radio was in around early 1999 "Sunday Shining" on Today FM, after his weekday mid morning show was replaced by Tim Kelly I think

I think Mark Cagney had left 2FM by the first half of 1989. He turned up as a guest contributor on an album show presented by Richard Crowley during the first few months of Century Radio (September - November 1989), Ireland's first legal independent commercial radio station. Mark was definitely gone from RTE at that stage as RTE was very shirty about the new competition in the early days of commercial radio! Mark Cagney was the first presenter of 98FM when it launched at midnight on November 1989 and the first tune he played was Hotel California by The Eagles. I tuned in to hear its launch.

In relation to Jimmy Greeley, the local station that he moved to in 1994 was the same 98FM. I think, as far as the radio side of his career was concerned, he may have been briefly with the relatively short-lived part-time classical RTE station FM3 between Millennium Radio and 98FM. This was subsequently replaced by the full-time Lyric FM. I remember Peter Collins's show alright during the late '80s.

Mark Cagney's last radio station was Today FM before he joined TV3. Unlike his other ex-98FM colleagues - Aidan Cooney and Martin King - he did not keep his hand in radio presenting, although he has done plenty of ad voiceovers. I think the best radio fit for Mark Cagney, provided he has some free rein, would be RTE Gold, RTE Radio One (late-night music show) or 4FM or maybe one or other of Radio Nova's digital stations.

If Mark Cagney had left 2FM during the first half of 1989 I reckon he was probably gone by the time RTE Radio 2 underwent a major station revamp in March 1989 and with that came an overhaul of the station's programme/presenter schedule. Radio 2 would have been 10 Years on the air in 1989 and was preparing for competition from legal independent commercial radio sector for the first time. This was a highly publicised campaign to relaunch the station to be known as simply "2FM" going forward and I think it went 24hrs a day for the first time in 1989. I can still recall a clip of a DART train with the 2FM music boasting that the station starts off in the morning and never stops the night before. "The Key To The Sound of 2FM" was the promotion campaign mission statement and was basically a blaze of publicity as all the pirate radio stations had closed by 31st December 1988 in advance of the launch of Ireland's first legal independent commercial radio stations. First to launch were some local stations to be followed by national commercial independent Century Radio in September, 1989. 2FM was a massive force in radio across Ireland during this period and were anxious to keep a tight grip on their large audience.

I remember in early 1989 the "2FM is mine " stickers they were giving out.

the clips below with mark cagney in early 1988 on the same night, has the station being referred to as "2FM" and also "Radio 2":

https://www.mixcloud.com/fanningsessions/mark-cagney-1-side-b/
    https://www.mixcloud.com/fanningsessions/mark-cagney-1-side-a/

• Advertisement

I remember in early 1989 the "2FM is mine " stickers they were giving out.

the clips below with mark cagney in early 1988 on the same night, has the station being referred to as "2FM" and also "Radio 2":

https://www.mixcloud.com/fanningsessions/mark-cagney-1-side-b/
    https://www.mixcloud.com/fanningsessions/mark-cagney-1-side-a/

I'm pretty sure I had one or two of those "2FM is mine" stickers stuck on a ghetto-blaster circa March '89 period. If I remember correctly, the sticker was NOT the familiar 2FM logo which was a yellow numeral "2" including heart on black background. These "2FM is mine" stickers had some green & red I think but I am open to correction on it. "The Key To The Sound Of 2FM as a promo campaign went on for quite a while and I can still hear the drum beating against the dialogue spoken. There was major prize associated with the lucky winner as far as I recall too.

I'm trying to recall if NightTrain continued after Cagney switched to Drivetime before eventually leaving 2FM? I know Mike Moloney used do Weekends while Cagney did weeknights. NightTrain was probably extended as a programme when 2FM first broadcast all through the night and in those days the shows were probably broadcast live. I seem to recall there was NightTrain Extra (NT Extra) from about 2:00am or 03:00am for a while but then there was a new music strand called "Nightime 2FM" with people like Gerry Wilson.

Mike Moloney did The Nightrain when Cagney moved off it, probably from sun to thurs. midnight to 3am.
    Then John Clarke for the weekend nights.

Other new presenters did the "Nighttrain extra" 3am to 7am slot such as Paul Scanlon, Mike Ryan, Gerry Wilson

Worth remembering that Marty Whelan / Tony Fenton took over from Gerry Ryan on the Lights Out slot in mid 1988.
    But Marty didn't last very long, maybe less than one year, then went to Century. Think Barry Lang replaced Marty here.

Phil Cawley was also on the Nightrain for a while in 1988.

Mike Moloney did The Nightrain when Cagney moved off it, probably from sun to thurs. midnight to 3am.
    Then John Clarke for the weekend nights.

Other new presenters did the "Nighttrain extra" 3am to 7am slot such as Paul Scanlon, Mike Ryan, Gerry Wilson

Worth remembering that Marty Whelan / Tony Fenton took over from Gerry Ryan on the Lights Out slot in mid 1988.
    But Marty didn't last very long, maybe less than one year, then went to Century. Think Barry Lang replaced Marty here.

Phil Cawley was also on the Nightrain for a while in 1988.

I recall some of those names - Mike Ryan was Gerry Ryan's younger brother and did a lot of work back at base when presenters were doing Outside Broadcasts in the Roadcaster or The Square etc; Gerry Wilson had a voice almost identical to the late great Terry Wogan! Yeah I remember Marty doing a slot "Late Nite with Marty Whelan" although; I thought that came during the 90's after he eventually crawled back to RTÉ (tail between his legs after Century Radio had gone bust in November 1991) or maybe it was Gerry Wilson as I think he did the same time-slot for a short period too during the '90's. Of course Gerry Wilson also had the successful "Dial A Number One" on Saturdays around lunchtime! I thought Barry Lang switched from The Hotline to DriveTime. I never remember Phil Cawley on 2FM although; I do recall him on the ill-fated Century Radio as was Philip Boucher-Hayes. Tony Fenton had been doing Sat/Sun nights on "Lights Out" at the same time that Gerry Ryan was filling the Mon-Fri weeknights. Mike Moloney used do Sat/Sun nights on NightTrain when Cagney had worked the Mon-Fri weeknights.

I recall some of those names - Mike Ryan was Gerry Ryan's younger brother and did a lot of work back at base when presenters were doing Outside Broadcasts in the Roadcaster or The Square etc; Gerry Wilson had a voice almost identical to the late great Terry Wogan! Yeah I remember Marty doing a slot "Late Nite with Marty Whelan" although; I thought that came during the 90's after he eventually crawled back to RTÉ (tail between his legs after Century Radio had gone bust in November 1991) or maybe it was Gerry Wilson as I think he did the same time-slot for a short period too during the '90's. Of course Gerry Wilson also had the successful "Dial A Number One" on Saturdays around lunchtime! I thought Barry Lang switched from The Hotline to DriveTime. I never remember Phil Cawley on 2FM although; I do recall him on the ill-fated Century Radio as was Philip Boucher-Hayes. Tony Fenton had been doing Sat/Sun nights on "Lights Out" at the same time that Gerry Ryan was filling the Mon-Fri weeknights. Mike Moloney used do Sat/Sun nights on NightTrain when Cagney had worked the Mon-Fri weeknights.

A lot of interesting facts in that post! I got through to Gerry Wilson on three different occasions and was on the air!!

As regards Philip Boucher-Hayes, he was with Radio Ireland, the pre-cursor to Today FM, and not Century Radio. I'm pretty sure, too, that Phil Cawley was not with Century Radio, but he was with Radio Ireland from the very start in 1997 and is still there now as Today FM. And, yes, he was with 2FM circa 1988 - that's where I first heard him. During the Century Radio period, Phil was making was way through local stations such as CKR and LMFM. In my previous post, I referred to Century Radio as "Irelands's first legal independent commercial station", which is not quite true, but it was the first national one!

Mark Cagney had the original weekday mid-morning slot on 98FM and then switched to the late night talk and phone-in slot. I recall he was affected by one or more topics raised in the latter slot, resulting in Mark taking a sabbatical. He then turned up on the relaunched Today FM in 1998 with the mid-morning slot and the Sunday evening album-oriented slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Who remembers Mark presenting 'Midnight Blue' in 1979-1980. I found the attached recently. Some list of Artists & Albums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Slightly off topic but fans of Cagney might be happy to read it.

I worked with him(seperate department) and can confirm he is a top fella. Genuine nice man who is extremely down to earth.

Intelligent fella also!

Nothing but good words to say about him.

A lot of interesting facts in that post! I got through to Gerry Wilson on three different occasions and was on the air!!

As regards Philip Boucher-Hayes, he was with Radio Ireland, the pre-cursor to Today FM, and not Century Radio. I'm pretty sure, too, that Phil Cawley was not with Century Radio, but he was with Radio Ireland from the very start in 1997 and is still there now as Today FM. And, yes, he was with 2FM circa 1988 - that's where I first heard him. During the Century Radio period, Phil was making was way through local stations such as CKR and LMFM. In my previous post, I referred to Century Radio as "Irelands's first legal independent commercial station", which is not quite true, but it was the first national one!

Mark Cagney had the original weekday mid-morning slot on 98FM and then switched to the late night talk and phone-in slot. I recall he was affected by one or more topics raised in the latter slot, resulting in Mark taking a sabbatical. He then turned up on the relaunched Today FM in 1998 with the mid-morning slot and the Sunday evening album-oriented slot.

I thought you might appreciate this interesting biographical piece on Phil Cawley taken from the Irish Examiner below. It mentions the radio stations he worked with and then stopped at 1989 which is the year Century Radio began but no reference to it so; I stand corrected on both Phil Cawley & Philip Boucher-Hayes as not found any reference to their involvement on Century Radio/Century 100/Century FM (1989-1991).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/this-much-i-know-phil-cawley-324496.html

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/a-life-lived-on-the-national-airwaves-31091347.html

Philip Boucher-Hayes
    Apparently a nephew of RTÉ veteran broadcaster, Myles Dungan, presenter of RTÉ Radio 1's "The History Show"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Boucher-Hayes

Slightly off topic but fans of Cagney might be happy to read it.

I worked with him(seperate department) and can confirm he is a top fella. Genuine nice man who is extremely down to earth.

Intelligent fella also!

Nothing but good words to say about him.

My late father played jazz music with Mark's father, Johnny Cagney and others many years ago in Cork. The Cagney family residence was at Patrick's Hill in the city centre. Mark was the roadie at the time in question! I think his father played drums but I'm open to correction as my father has long passed on and would have known. Not sure if Mark ever did any work for RTÉ Cork Local Radio back in the day as I understand he began with RTÉ in 1977 although; RTÉ Radio 2 did not commence until 31st May 1979.

Who remembers Mark presenting 'Midnight Blue' in 1979-1980. I found the attached recently. Some list of Artists & Albums.

My earliest memories of Radio 2 would have been The Ronan Collins Breakfast Show followed by Paul Clarke (Paul is now on UTV Live news). Shows like Poparama with Ruth Buchanan & Barry Lang/Ian Dempsey, Maxi & Co; Simon Young's Saturday Choice, Dial a Number 1 with Gerry Wilson!, 12's on 2 with Peter Collins, Lights Out with Gerry Ryan/Tony Fenton, Nightrain with Mark Cagney/Mike Moloney, Keep it Country with Paschal Mooney, Dave Fanning Show, BP Fallon Lights Orchestra (Jenny Greene eat your heart out!) The Hotline with Barry Lang/Tony Fenton/Dusty Rhodes, Jim O'Neill and "Thing"! Jimmy Greeley, Larry Gogan with The Golden Hour and Just-A-Minute Quiz. Gerry Ryan and the "Ryan Line", Michael McNamara>Mickey Mac's Dance Show (his son is Conor McNamara on BBC Radio 5Live Sport and was formerly with TV3 in it's early days, John Clarke's Rock Roll & Remember/Ireland's Biggest Jukebox which was initially presented by Simon Young on 2FM! The same show was probably tweaked from an earlier version called "The Biggest Jukebox in Ireland" on Century Radio (1989-1991) as far as I recall.

• Advertisement

The last 3 posts from "Await Your Reply" were very informative and, in some cases, were a trip down memory lane for me!

I did not know about Phil Cawley's involvement with Easy in Wicklow. He also did a stint with Wexford's South East Radio. He was a busy man along the east coast!

Mark Cagney was indeed with Cork Local Radio and, for a brief period, overlapped with Radio 2. He was headhunted from the cork pirates for Cork Local Radio - this is true!

Advertisement