Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets that just weren't nice.

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This thread seems to be an excuse to list off all the sweets that didn't taste completely generic. Sure, a lot of the stuff here wouldn't be to everyone's tastes, but if there wasn't stuff like this out there, sweets wouldn't be worth going near at all. It'd be all Dairy Milk, Polo Mints and Fruit Pastilles. Boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

It'd be all Dairy Milk, Polo Mints and Fruit Pastilles. Boring.
    :eek: How dare you. Cadburys dairy milk is probably one of THE best bars around. Nothing beats it for quality, well, except for the more expensive bars like lindt and milka or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

They are lovely, so are turkish delights.
    you realise that they are made out of real Turkish babies don't you? EW!

I hate boiled sweets.. what a waste of sugar and colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

This thread seems to be an excuse to list off all the sweets that didn't taste completely generic. Sure, a lot of the stuff here wouldn't be to everyone's tastes, but if there wasn't stuff like this out there, sweets wouldn't be worth going near at all. It'd be all Dairy Milk, Polo Mints and Fruit Pastilles. Boring.

This is true, but originality doesn't have to be unpalatable!

I love going abroad to places like Italy where a lot of sweets and desserts are based on almonds, honey, fruit, nuts, etc. Also Indian restaraunts often do lovely desserts using these types of things. They're also healthy! Some Scandinavain recipies for sweets and desserts often include things like ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.

It has to be said that Cadbury's Roses have become too generic and boring. They used to be nicer and now they're all just paste and milk chocolate. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Silvermints were never nice either. Neither were Toffos, Wagon Wheels, those fruit gums that take your fillings out, the horrible coffee flavoured Roses mentioned higher up the page, cola bottles not made by Haribo and those icky spongy sweets you can buy in pound shops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What used to be nice was Rowntree Mackintosh chocolate, the smells from the factory in Kilmainham

Kit Kat, Smarties, Aero, Fruit Pastilles, Rolo, Munchies, Quality Street, Polo

They were taken over by Nestle back in the 80's, who took time out from selling powered milk to babies in the third world, to "introduce" a different chocolate formula and the result just wasn't as nice.

It's a bit like coke really, I still reckon the taste changed when they took it off the market for a while, and I prefer the older version to such an extent that coke to me is now just another cola

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

allie_e17 wrote:
    Silvermints were never nice either. Neither were Toffos, Wagon Wheels, those fruit gums that take your fillings out, the horrible coffee flavoured Roses mentioned higher up the page, cola bottles not made by Haribo and those icky spongy sweets you can buy in pound shops.
    Sorry, but for me Toffo's were yummy. Mind you, it's been a long long time since I had Toffos.

mmmmm.........Toffos. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Macaroon bars did it for me! When I wanted to look cool I'd have a Time bar or fruit salads, oooh yea baby!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

c - 13 wrote:
    Chocolate ciggerates - Not only looked like sh!t, they tasted like it too..

Golfballs chewing gum - Horrible, tasted like mint flavoured wallpaper.

I myself have never tasted wallpaper or sh!t , so I cannot comment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I liked the chalk latters!!!

Anyone remember Patsy Pops (in the 70's!)
    They were bright orange icepops, fulla chemicals and very cheap! Once ate 6 of them all at once and spent the night throwing up luminous vomit. :(

And Hunka-Chew bars?? They were 2 tone/flavour chew bars, only a few pence and had a shark on the wrapper.... there was a banana/chocolate one...mmmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
Advertisement