Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Nally found not guilty of manslaughter :o)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Eire 4Ever wrote:
    It should not matter that Ward was a member of the travelling community or if he were coloured, protestant or a non national.

This statement is one I so strongly believe. Howver, this case had nothing to do with the fact that Ward was a traveller. Let us remember that Ward did not enter Nally's property to say hello, to ask for help, to preach about god! The headlines that say "Nally shoots traveller" and similar ones should not even mention the word, it should read "Nally shoots thief" or "Nally shoots burglar"! While all those people who seem to be taking this case and the result as an indication of settled peoples bad views of travellers, this is absolute crap! What if Ward was a drug addict, or from a notorious crime family but "settled", do those people really think that we would have more sympathy for him? Not at all.
    Eire 4Ever wrote:
    The is a big divide in Ireland between settled and travelling communities and this case has made the divide even wider. As with all people they are good and bad types. While Mr. Nally had every right to defend himself and his property and he did cross line when he shot and beat a man retreating and if remember correctly "beat him like a badger". Who picked the jury members and were any members of the travellers community on the jury? I think they should have been. I really can't see how Nally was found not guilty.

Again I completely agree, and while there are good and bad types in all sections of the community, just because you are a traveller doesn't mean you are due "special" sympathy! Whether or not Ward was a traveller, it doesn't hide the fact that he had a long string of convictions! He was not one of the "good types". This case would have been different if Ward had no criminal record. Again if he was a junkie would we all be saying "this case has widened the gaps between the settled and junkie community"! Can you imagine it, a complete farce!

I hope I am not being misunderstood, I do not have a strong opinion on the details of this case and whether Nally should have been convicted or not, but it is a complete insult I think that this is being used as an argument that us "settled" people don't value the life of a traveller, this is completely untrue and I am surprised that so many people are vouching for Ward as a traveller rather than a criminal!

If you substitute 'black kid' for 'traveller', and 'South Africa' for 'Mayo, Ireland', bet the oranges would be off the shelves in Dunnes already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Diogenes wrote:
    I wonder exactly at what point, at what conviction did Wards life became forfeit? His first? His tenth? His 20th?

I'd say after conviction number 43.

Happy now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Eire 4Ever wrote:
    It should not matter that Ward was a member of the travelling community or if he were coloured, protestant or a non national.

Why use protestant but not catholic?

Wolfe Tone, Robert Emmet, Henry Grattan and Charles Parnell were all protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Why use protestant but not catholic?

Wolfe Tone, Robert Emmet, Henry Grattan and Charles Parnell were all protestants.

Obviously because they are a minority in this country and he was using that as an example?

I mean why use non national but not national right??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Both sides pick the Jury. I think the defense has 7 vetoes. That is one reason I'd say there were no travelers on the Jury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Both sides pick the Jury. I think the defense has 7 vetoes. That is one reason I'd say there were no travelers on the Jury.

People keep saying why were there no travellers on the jury, juries are randomly picked out of the registered population.

I know Juries can be vetoed, but you cant just arrive into court with your own personally picked "traveller" jury.

The population of travellers that would be eligible to be on a jury is approx 12,000, out of a total pool of about 3,000,000.

Its simple, you can do the math yourself.

[mod addition to the above post by Tristrame]

This thread has served its purpose and is being closed.
    There are to be no new merry go round threads on this subject

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement