Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Believe it or not.... More trivial than funny

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Does anyone know of links to the old irish laws they are removing from the statutes ?
    No, but if memory serves, it's illegal to beat a carpet in Dublin before 9 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Since are country (constitution) started in 1937, technically so did our laws. Any application of laws from before then is at the judicary's discretion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sangre wrote:
    Since are country (constitution) started in 1937, technically so did our laws. Any application of laws from before then is at the judicary's discretion.
    you think ?
    we inherited all the english law
    and there were the ones passed by the free state too,

You just quoted my post for stating the obvious then elaborated on my point by being completely wrong. I'm slightly confused by what you thought was so obvious.

We inherited some English law because courts have decided to inherent it. We can just as easily say the law is pre-1937 and has no weight in law (or is not in line with out law/constitution). Thus any 'wacky laws' will likely to be discarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

7% of Celtic males are colour blind
    The lisping of certain letters in Spanish is said to be down to a lisp that Philip II had.
    Fleas can have sex for up to 5 hours
    Dracula is actually two Irish words - Droch Fhuil (Bad Blood) :rolleyes:
    Cabbage has arsenic in it.
    Brown sauce in tea is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Does anyone know of links to the old irish laws they are removing from the statutes ?
    here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ta.

Next time you are down at the seaside looking at seaweed, you may notice some brown seaweed and some green seaweed. They are not closely related.

Actually you are more closely to the green seaweed than they are to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I know a guy who can lick his elbow. I have photographic evidence somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

# The newt is Ireland's only indigenous reptile
    What about the frog?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Chopperdog wrote:
    England is old and small and the local folks started running out
    of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take
    the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these
    coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on
    the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So
    they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin
    and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit
    out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen for the
    bell;

thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a
    ...dead

ringer..

That cant be true can it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

ScumLord wrote:
    What about the frog?

Frogs are amphians I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

That cant be true can it :confused:
    doubt it

baztard wrote:
    Frogs are amphians I think
    as are newts and toads and salamanders and that mexican peter-pan yoke

frogs mostly breath through their skins
    eating rules for a frog are simple, If it moves and I can fit it in my mouth and I can get to it <GULP>
    sometimes they get it wrong and you end up with a pair of frogs of the same size the back one can't swollow but won't let go and both eventually starve to death

You probably all know that more people died of the flu epidemic just after world war 1 than died in the the 5 years of fighting, but there were laws passed against sneezing and coughing

The Russians built a mainframe computer that used the ternary instead of binary

If the DNA in just one of your cells was stretched out there would be nearly 2meters of it.

Greenfly during the peak of the season not only give birth whilst still virgins, they are even born pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

My new favourite piece of trivia; in 1386 people in a French town executed a pig by hanging it (while it was dressed in a man's suit no less) for killing children.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Chopperdog wrote:
    England is old and small and the local folks started running out
    of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take
    the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these
    coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on
    the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So
    they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin
    and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit
    out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen for the
    bell;

thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a
    ...dead

ringer..
    I'd heard that the reason they did that was because at the time, they had recently discovered that people who had died from suffocation or drowning could be revived. So people were paranoid that the dead weren't really dead.

I'd heard that the reason they did that was because at the time, they had recently discovered that people who had died from suffocation or drowning could be revived. So people were paranoid that the dead weren't really dead.
    I heard that they're both total crap and the phrase actual originates from a hit 90s teen comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

U. S. Sexual Laws
    The US has more laws governing sexual behavior than every country in Europe combined.

An old state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called “master,” not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.

In Minnesota, it is illegal for any man to have sexual intercourse with a live fish. (Apparently, it's OK for woman. Who can resist a wide-mouth trout?)

As late as 1940, a candidate for the U.S. Naval Academy was rejected if it was discovered that he masturbated.

In 1998, Alabama created a law banning the sale of sex toys, ruling that the constitution “doesn’t include a right to sexual privacy.”

The only acceptable sexual position in Washington, D.C. is the missionary position. Any other sexual position is considered illegal.

Florida’s laws only allow for conjugal sex. Sex outside of marriage and sodomy are misdemeanors, with penalties of up to 60 days in jail.

Yet another Texas code makes the possession of more than six items designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs illegal, whereas the possession of more than six firearms designed to stimulate the death of human vital organs is OK.

In Sioux Falls, South Dakota, hotels are required by law to furnish their rooms with twin beds only. A minimum of two feet between the beds is required.

In the state of Utah, sex with an animal—unless performed for profit—is not considered sodomy and therefore is legal.

A few more:

An 18th century French prostitute could be spared punishment if she were willing to join the opera.

In 100 AD, the ancient Germanic tribe, the Teutons would punish anyone caught as a prostitute by suffocating them in excrement.

Charlemagne thought prostitution should be punishable by death in some cases.

The Romans would crush a first time rapist’s gonads between two stones.

Lipstick is believed to have been invented in ancient Egypt for women who specialized in oral sex. They wanted their lips to look more inviting.

Egyptians inserted stones into their vagina to prevent pregnancy. (It worked kind of like the modern IUD by preventing implantation).

Women were discouraged from having orgasms during the Middle Ages because it was thought that orgasms made women less capable of getting pregnant.

It is ancient legend that Cleopatra of the Nile had 2 orgasms a day.

In Ancient Greece, women would expose their vaginas to ward off storms at sea.

It was considered elegant for aristocratic ladies of the 16th century to let their pubic hair grow as long as possible so it could be pomaded and adorned with bows and ribbon.

Up until 1884, a Victorian-era woman could be sent to prison for denying a husband sex.

St. Jerome said that full grown virgin women should never bathe and should be ashamed of their bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

xzanti wrote:
    > >At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their
    elbow!!!!!!

It's true....:o

# The newt is Ireland's only indigenous reptile
    ScumLord wrote:
    What about the frog?

Reptiles evolved from amphibians during the Carboniferous over 300,000,000 years ago. We are more closely related to reptiles than frogs are.

On land
    Reptiles tend to live in HOT and DRY areas.
    Amphibians tend to live in COLD and WET areas.

viviparous lizard / common lizard / Lacerta vivipara
    Despite its name, the viviparous lizard demonstrates a primitive form of viviparity known as ovo-vivipatity in which eggs are formed inside the female lizard but hatch immediately at birth, or within a day thereafter.
    As a species listed on the Fifth Schedule, the common lizard receives full protection under Section 23 of the Wildlife Act 1976 and Section 31 of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act 2000. Together, these prohibit:

* Hunting, taking or killings of common lizards; and,
    * Wilful interference or destruction of their breeding places or resting places.

Advertisement